Its not entirely clear on the site what its main focus is... (plus Im brutally hung over and cant think). Recording? Tabs?

Is this a good learning tool?

I dont like to spend a lot of time on the computer, hell.. I can barely make it through an 8 minute youtube instruction. But I can practice for as many hours as the people in my house can cope and I have a very good set of head phones.

The cost isnt an issue either, but I dont want to piss money away on something I wont use.

Thoughts?
he of tranquil mind
bitlord...

also it's a pretty good learning tool yeh, i've used it a few times.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
It's primarily a tablature program. I used it a ton before I bought finale. It can be a good learning tool when you used correctly.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It's the cornerstone of my musical empire. I love it.

It essentially allows you to use midi samples to hear how a tab will sound. I find it much more accurate than normal tab, and certainly it's much easier to see if you're working from flawed material.

Beyond that, I also use it as a tool for composing, and as a midi sequencer. For me, it's indispensable, but if you don't like doing your music at a computer, it may not be for you.
Quote by Wolffgang
It's the cornerstone of my musical empire. I love it.

It essentially allows you to use midi samples to hear how a tab will sound. I find it much more accurate than normal tab, and certainly it's much easier to see if you're working from flawed material.

Beyond that, I also use it as a tool for composing, and as a midi sequencer. For me, it's indispensable, but if you don't like doing your music at a computer, it may not be for you.

I use edition 5.2. They're up to 6, and I bought it, but I hate it. I think it tries too hard for realism, and gets too clunky, and it can't do chug to save its life.

That was supposed to be an edit, not a quote. *facepalm*
It´s a tab program, used for both writing and learning.

I like it alot really, i got the newest version of it. Guitar pro 6. Works great and helps me learn songs abit quicker.
Quote by Wolffgang
I use edition 5.2. They're up to 6, and I bought it, but I hate it. I think it tries too hard for realism, and gets too clunky, and it can't do chug to save its life.

That was supposed to be an edit, not a quote. *facepalm*
ha... no worries brother. So you can create tabs on the PC then playback? Thats a pretty cool toy...
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Sickz
It´s a tab program, used for both writing and learning.

I like it alot really, i got the newest version of it. Guitar pro 6. Works great and helps me learn songs abit quicker.

how does it help you learn faster? Thats got great appeal... I dont crave any shortcuts in my learning. Im cool with all the practice and reps and enjoy the journey, but often there is a time crunch, so learning ways to be more effecient is huge for me.... thanks
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
how does it help you learn faster? Thats got great appeal... I dont crave any shortcuts in my learning. Im cool with all the practice and reps and enjoy the journey, but often there is a time crunch, so learning ways to be more effecient is huge for me.... thanks

You REALLY are high.
It's less a shortcut and more a means of streamlining. The playback option is really a lifesaver and has helped me to become the guitarist I am today. It doesn't eliminate the need for repetitious learning, but it helps make that easier to do. You can set the speed of a certain set of measures, for example, and have it gradually increase speed with each repetition. You can isolate tracks so that the playback is an exact guide of what you're learning. That makes it an invaluable practice tool. It's exactly what you described: something that can help make your practice much more efficient and makes it possible to get good practice in even in a time crunch.
Quote by Geldin
It's less a shortcut and more a means of streamlining. The playback option is really a lifesaver and has helped me to become the guitarist I am today. It doesn't eliminate the need for repetitious learning, but it helps make that easier to do. You can set the speed of a certain set of measures, for example, and have it gradually increase speed with each repetition. You can isolate tracks so that the playback is an exact guide of what you're learning. That makes it an invaluable practice tool. It's exactly what you described: something that can help make your practice much more efficient and makes it possible to get good practice in even in a time crunch.
wait.. your talking about playing your own stuff back? Or playing along with something else? Sounds very promising though...
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Zeletros
You REALLY are high.
not yet... but I was serious. How many posts a day does someone say "whats the fastest way to become a great guitar player"

I guess all I was saying was I enjoy the process, the work, the journey... bla bla bla

I mean the really rewarding this is working on something you cant do and eventually be able to nail it right?
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
not yet... but I was serious. How many posts a day does someone say "whats the fastest way to become a great guitar player"

I guess all I was saying was I enjoy the process, the work, the journey... bla bla bla

I mean the really rewarding this is working on something you cant do and eventually be able to nail it right?

There are no shortcuts in music, because it is not supposed to be hard, but it isn't supposed to be easy either.

All depends on how you view the subject.

Guitar pro generally helps because you spend less time figuring out how to play something right and on-time.
Quote by fishmike
wait.. your talking about playing your own stuff back? Or playing along with something else? Sounds very promising though...

Both! It's a composition tool as well as something that can play a tab back.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by fishmike

It helps me learn stuff easier ( to me ) cause it.
1.Has a good view on the tabs, many tabs online you might have a part of a lick right in front of you but have to scroll down to see the rest, not very good when im sitting and repeating it over and over.

2. Speed trainer. You can loop difficult parts of songs. Like you play along to the tab at 25% 4 times, then it increase to 30% for 4 times. etc.

3. I make own music in GP6 that i can't even play yet, then i can test how it will sound at a certain speed and i can practice it easier.

That's my view on Guitar pro 6, don't any of you now dare troll it.
Guitar Pro is a composition tool when you, well, compose with it. You can have just a single track (whether it be percussion, bass or guitar), or multiple tracks with any combination of percussion, bass or guitar.

There aren't really any other instruments, such as synth, orchestral instruments, but you can edit the sound of the guitar so it sounds like these instruments.

Or at least the program tries. Without RSE (short for Realistic Sound Engine AFAIK), everything sounds very synthetic and fake. With RSE, you get some horrible lag, your awesome drumline goes out of time, your guitar solo is in some atypical time signature or whatever. And RSE doesn't make it sound much better, either.

But does it make the program useless? Definitely not. It's still useful when you need to compose. If you want to hear it played back with real sounds and stuff, get it recorded.

As a learning tool, I think Guitar Pro is fabulous. It doesn't actually "teaches" you, but it shows you all the tabs of the different guitar parts, and as said above, you can play it back. You can also slow it down, speed it up and repeat one section of the song over and over and over.

Another nifty tool in this aspect would be this speed trainer. You can loop a section of the song, and it'll prompt you whether you want a simple loop, or a speed trainer loop. If you choose speed trainer, it will play the section initially at a lower speed (that you can set, if I remember), then it will start to speed up with every repetition at percentages which you set, and eventually going all the way up to full speed.
Quote by triface

Without RSE (short for Realistic Sound Engine AFAIK), everything sounds very synthetic and fake. With RSE, you get some horrible lag, your awesome drumline goes out of time, your guitar solo is in some atypical time signature or whatever.

I´ve used Guitar Pro 6 heavily now since it came out, and I have never experienced the problems you´re describing.

TS, get Guitar Pro. You will not regret it.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by GuitarViking
I´ve used Guitar Pro 6 heavily now since it came out, and I have never experienced the problems you´re describing.

TS, get Guitar Pro. You will not regret it.

Oh. I'm still using Guitar Pro 5.2. I've heard bad things about 6, so I'm not upgrading.
can you play guitar into the program? i'm thinking it would be great as a learning tool if you use the tabs like a midi backing track..
Quote by triface
Oh. I'm still using Guitar Pro 5.2. I've heard bad things about 6, so I'm not upgrading.

I've had no issues with it dropping out of time using RSE.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For those who cant afford it, Ive heard some good things of TuxGuitar.
Quote by oneblackened
I've had no issues with it dropping out of time using RSE.

Hm. It's weird, because I just tried it on a slower song and there wasn't any problem. I then tried it on a guitar solo in another song and everything's messed up again.

It's pointing to my computer being too slow, but I don't think that's the case!

:/
Tuxguitar is good and does most things guitar pro does, including a looper with variable speed for free.
gp5 is only the best tabbing program that exists, IMO. 6 is too digitalized with the newly updated sound engines and what not.