Hey everyone! I am currently looking into replacing the Duncan Designed pickups in my Jackson DX-10 with a SD PG bridge pickup. I work with a guy who played guitar for 30+ and after asking him a few questions, he told me that whatever pickup im going to put in my guitar, it will always sound like a Jackson, so the idea of buying the pups to try and change the sound would be a waste. Thoughts on this? I don't want to buy another guitar (and I almost can't because my wife lets me know her feelings about my hobby) and originally i thought a swapped pickup could change things but now im not sure. any help would be appreciated!
it will change the sound a bit, more like a refinement than a complete overhaul. By saying a jackson will will always sound like a jackson is kinda true - i.e. no pickup swap will make it sound like a les paul for instance
New pickups will definitly change the sound. Of course other factors like the wood the guitar is made out of will definitly also have an effect but its worth a shot. What exactly is it you dont like about how your Jackson sounds? What styles? How much do you want to spend? What amp are you playing through?
Quote by guitarpatrick66
New pickups will definitly change the sound. Of course other factors like the wood the guitar is made out of will definitly also have an effect but its worth a shot. What exactly is it you dont like about how your Jackson sounds? What styles? How much do you want to spend? What amp are you playing through?

The pickups just seems kind of dull to me. I bought it second hand and at the time it sounded a lot better. I'm more about rhythm (funny that i want these pickups, eh?) because i suck at shredding. for a long time, i was looking into a tele but thats another expense, wife dont want it, etc etc etc. Price is not a big issue, and i use a Roland vga-5 amp.

side note- i like the amp..its got analog settings which are nice, but ive considered getting a new one. had this one for about two years now and still gets vewwy loud.
dude's a fucktard. no offence.

pickups don't affect tone?

lolwut?

actually i'd consider changing jobs. if he's that much of an idiot he'll probably make the company you work for go bankrupt or something.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, obviously the guitar's construction etc. will affect how it sounds, but that's the case for all guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
dude's a fucktard. no offence.

pickups don't affect tone?

lolwut?

actually i'd consider changing jobs. if he's that much of an idiot he'll probably make the company you work for go bankrupt or something.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, obviously the guitar's construction etc. will affect how it sounds, but that's the case for all guitars.

at first i was kind of taken back by the sheer rudeness of your comment but then i double checked my post and meant to put that "while it may change a little bit of the tone, it will still sound like a jackson. obviously, you cant make a jackson sound like a gibson or a tele with just pickups."

youre still rude.
i dunno i mean if you were to route a jackson out for tele pickups i'm guessing it'd sound reasonably close to a tele. you still have the bolt-on maple neck, alder body, etc. etc. Not exact, but not a million miles away either.

And I'm just messing, i troll a bit when i get bored (plus if he did say that pickups wouldn't change the tone at all I think i'm somewhat justified in what i said ) If you think i'm rude, don't go to HC. the rudeness there (in certain sections, anyway) takes me aback at times

but yeah i mean i don't see why a jackson would respond any less to a pickup swap than any other guitar.

EDIT: is it the quality of the tone you don't like, or the actual tone? I mean DDs are fairly mediocre, you should be able to get a fair bit of improvement with almost any pickup swap. But if you think the stock pickups really don't suit the type of tone you're after, then going for a completely different style of pickup can help too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by V1R4S
at first i was kind of taken back by the sheer rudeness of your comment but then i double checked my post and meant to put that "while it may change a little bit of the tone, it will still sound like a jackson. obviously, you cant make a jackson sound like a gibson or a tele with just pickups."

youre still rude.

he's actually dead nuts on correct.

lose the defensive attitude. this is the internet bro jangles.

the PG will sound like a PG. the jackson will have nuances that are inherent to the design, woods used, construction quality etc.

the PG is a lower output PAF type pick up. some will say, people like Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, that in the right guitar, it does in fact sound like a les paul.

what will limit that is the woods and construction of your jackson.

now lose the attitude dude. no reason for that.

whoever told you that it would always sound like a jackson is in fact a futhermucking eejit.

have a nice day!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
cheers greg
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by V1R4S

youre still rude.

Rude/blunt gets the point across far better than a well-written post much of the time.

Eventually we all get jaded and have an urge to be a dick.

Or, in my case, it just comes naturally.

And it's "taken aback". Idiot.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
haha, thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno i mean if you were to route a jackson out for tele pickups i'm guessing it'd sound reasonably close to a tele. you still have the bolt-on maple neck, alder body, etc. etc. Not exact, but not a million miles away either.

Like a complete re-wiring of the harness or just the pickups? I don't have a lot of experience with the inner works of guitars(hence why I'm asking here ^_^ )

btw, for you other repliers...if I wanted rude, I'd go back to 4chan. I asked here because I didnt want to bother with /mu/ because its just a pissing contest. Trolls will be trolls, I guess.
don't worry. the real world is totally nice and no one is rude ever.

just gotta ride out the rough spots.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by V1R4S
Like a complete re-wiring of the harness or just the pickups? I don't have a lot of experience with the inner works of guitars(hence why I'm asking here ^_^ )

btw, for you other repliers...if I wanted rude, I'd go back to 4chan. I asked here because I didnt want to bother with /mu/ because its just a pissing contest. Trolls will be trolls, I guess.

no.

come across like an ass towards one of our own and expect the same back from all directions.

if you read my post regarding the PG pick ups, you will see that we are helpful in spite of you're not understand reality. that reality being, whoever told you the info in your original post was a complete tuckfard.

but we don't take kindly to people that cross our friends.

that said, they are decent pick ups for pretty much everything up to metal. with the right amp, they could easily get metal tones.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You guys can defend Dave all you want - I was just exploiting a golden opportunity to be a jerk justifiably for once.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
TS just suck it up and listen to these guys. What Gregs said was actually pretty helpful. Good advice is hard to come by around here, listen to it.
TS just has thin skin
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by V1R4S
(a) Like a complete re-wiring of the harness or just the pickups? I don't have a lot of experience with the inner works of guitars(hence why I'm asking here ^_^ )

(b) btw, for you other repliers...if I wanted rude, I'd go back to 4chan. I asked here because I didnt want to bother with /mu/ because its just a pissing contest. Trolls will be trolls, I guess.

(a) i wasn't suggesting you do it, just as a thought experiment. You'd (presumably) need to change the pots to 250k to best suit the tele pickups. other than that, just changing the pickups would probably work. Probably need to drill new screw holes to fit the pickups, too.

(b) you asked if the guy who told you that was wrong, and i said he was. Granted i wasn't terribly subtle, but i have i don't know how many thousand posts on here, and at least 15% of them are sorta helpful, so go figure. Don't confuse someone who occasionally trolls for teh lulz for an actual troll. I also helped you in that I gave you the right answer- of course pickups will affect tone in your jackson.

you also misquoted the guy, as you admitted, so obviously we're going to think he's more of an idiot than he actually is if you can't remember exactly what he said.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
You guys can defend Dave all you want - I was just exploiting a golden opportunity to be a jerk justifiably for once.

thanks for the backup, everyone
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?