Page 1 of 2
Alright i'm gonna try to put this the best way, but it's pretty hard when you spend $1400 on an amp and it sounds like a first act amp with a blown speaker

So I got a Mesa Triple Rectifier for $1100 (with all new mesa tubes and professionally biased and all that good stuff)

And I have a Marshall mg 4x12 cab and then I also bought a Basson 4x12 slant cab.

Basically after a lot of messing around I got the rec to sound good with the marshall mg, But I cant get anything even remotely decent out of the basson. It's just extremely compressed, it has woof too it, its hissy, fuzzy, and just sound strange.

Could it just be my settings still or are marshall mg's just more then they are cracked up to be?
So did you really spend 300$ on a cab that makes your awesome mesa head sound like a first act amp?
Since cabs are just boxes with speakers in it, alls they can do is replicate the sound through their speakers. Mesa Triple recs are nice amps, and if nothing is wrong with it, and it sounds fine through your marshall, which obviously sounds like nothing is wrong with it, its the Basson. Could just be junk, or maybe bad wiring, also check that your connections are right. It might be set up for 16 ohms and your going through the 8 ohm output from from the mesa or something weird like that

EDIT: if it is the basson, cut your loses and get rid of it. You will never in your life be in a situation where you need more then 2 speakers, let alone a full ****ing stack powered through a triple rectifier, more isn't always better, especially if your losing tons of sound quality over a shitty cab
Last edited by sar8777 at Sep 9, 2011,
Probably wiring or the speaker. If you know about wiring check out the wiring, maybe fix it, then sell it. If you don't know about wiring, sell it. In fact, sell both cabs and get a better one.

Quote by sar8777
Since cabs are just boxes with speakers in it, alls they can do is replicate the sound through their speakers. Mesa Triple recs are nice amps, and if nothing is wrong with it, and it sounds fine through your marshall, which obviously sounds like nothing is wrong with it, its the Basson. Could just be junk, or maybe bad wiring, also check that your connections are right. It might be set up for 16 ohms and your going through the 8 ohm output from from the mesa or something weird like that

EDIT: if it is the basson, cut your loses and get rid of it. You will never in your life be in a situation where you need more then 2 speakers, let alone a full ****ing stack powered through a triple rectifier, more isn't always better, especially if your losing tons of sound quality over a shitty cab

I'm in 2 bands and just leave one cab at each place. Maybe he got the one cab for cheap or is in the same situation as me.
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
The head deserves a better cab. Sell both cabs you have and get an upgrade over both imo.

I usually hate the "sell your stuff" suggestion, but in this case, it's fitting.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
For starters, running a high-end head through a cheap cab like an MG doesn't do the head justice. I don't know how good basson cabs are, but bear in mind that cheap cabs typically have cheap speakers that can sound unpleasant with a lot of distortion coming from the amp.

Quote by sar8777
Since cabs are just boxes with speakers in it, alls they can do is replicate the sound through their speakers.

...?

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. Replicate what sound? Amps don't make sounds, they produce strong electrical signals. Speakers then turn those into sounds.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 9, 2011,
The triple recto will destroy that mg cab when you crank up the volume
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Basson cabs are supposed to be better then recto cabs or anything else is what all the reviews and everyone on the internet say which is what confuses me. It is wired for 8ohms and thats what i'm plugging into on the mesa. The speakers definately dont sound blown though is the weird thing. Heh, turn up a mesa? I can't get it past 2 without going deaf and this is outside.
Sell both your cabs and pick up a couple Orange 212s, IMO
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Can't really blame me for thinking its supposed to be a great cab when I've heard them live with 5150s and dual recs and they sounded great, and the reviews for them are 9.9s while mesa rec cabs are 9.3's. But this is the plan, to sell it and pick up a avatar 2x12 or something. I'm actually thinking about trading the rec for a 5150.
internet reviews are a joke in a lot of cases.

if you want a cab that matches well with a dual rec, begin by considering the construction and speaker choices that mesa made for those amps.

then do your own research on proper cabs and how they match up to different heads.

never buy anything based on internet reviews without doing the due research on your own.

research like making threads asking the public what cabs they preferred with that particular head for the types of music you play.

that would lend some interesting options to consider.
Quote by alexscarleta
Can't really blame me for thinking its supposed to be a great cab when I've heard them live with 5150s and dual recs and they sounded great, and the reviews for them are 9.9s while mesa rec cabs are 9.3's. But this is the plan, to sell it and pick up a avatar 2x12 or something. I'm actually thinking about trading the rec for a 5150.

seriously dude, internet reviews!

Buy a propper cab, doesn't have to be a 4X12. Also keep in mind: almost all metal bands that use recto's use a tubescreamer to tighten up the sound.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Sell both cabs > Buy two mesa 2x12's > the end.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
My old band had a Basson endorsement before the company shut down. We all got Basson cabs....and tbh. they suck! they weigh like 1000 pounds, are loaded with eminence legends....and for some reason sound worse than a b52 lg cab. idk why either, you'd think with good speakers and solid construction they'd be good.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
MG cabs are terrible

I ran my Vox VT50 through an MG cab once, way back in the day. I was astonished at how much worse it sounded compared to the Vox's single 12" speaker.
Quote by alexscarleta
So I got a Mesa Triple Rectifier for $1100 (with all new mesa tubes and professionally biased and all that good stuff)

Sorry to break it to you, but unless your amp is modded, it couldn't have been professionally biased, because Mesas are not adjustable

also...

Quote by alexscarleta
It's just extremely compressed, it has woof too it, its hissy, fuzzy, and just sound strange.

Yep, I'd say that you just accurately described a 3 channel triple recto
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yep, I'd say that you just accurately described a 3 channel triple recto

With a bad cab and gain at 10, maybe.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
With a bad cab and gain at 10, maybe.

Nope. All the time.

The Basson cab isn't a bad cab at all, those things sound giant.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nope. All the time.

The Basson cab isn't a bad cab at all, those things sound giant.

Whilst I get what your saying, and agree to an extent, the fact that TS says the recto sounds good through the mg cab means that this isn't TS's issue.

The cab appears to have good speakers and stuff so maybe take it in to be serviced? At least see what they say about it.
RIP Gooze

cats
Maybe if I post my settings that'll help too? I used the settings that came on it (from the band For Today if anyone knows them)

This song was recorded with this very head and the settings that came on the amp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxy0wsx7kxk

I of course messed with the settings a very little bit trying to improve the sound, but this is approximately what the knobs are at (In terms of a clock):

Solo: 10 o'clock
Output: 10
Channel 3
Presence: 3
Master: 1
Gain: 1
Bass: 12
Mid: 7
Treble: 5

I of course messed with the low, mid, high, quite a bit, while leaving presence, gain, and master at about the same spot no matter what.
I bought this head from that band, and the settings i posted are the same settings that they used to record that song on my head, so those are the settings that are on the head.

I can try playing with the master and see if that helps at all. If I put up the gain at all it just gives me wayy too much hiss even with my ns-2. Oh and I have a maxon od-808 and I couldnt get that to help the situation at all.
With the volume that high and gain at about 6/10 it shouldnt have any hiss or feedback?!
i forgot about the o'clock and saw '1' and '1' and was thinking low volume

but yeah, that seems high for the master volume. i'll need to re-read but it may just need some new power tubes.

1 o'clock for the gain is the sweet spot on a lot of amps so maybe back it down and come back up but i'm assuming you've done that already. you may also have a microphonic preamp tube
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 10, 2011,
It just got retubed / serviced right before I picked it up a few days ago so that shouldn't be the issue I wouldnt think, plus it sounds great with the marshall mg like I said in the first post. I have no complaints with that tone at all.
Don't argue with Matrix Claw about Mesas. He's probably had more of them pass through his hands than everybody else here has even seen. If I was in the market for a Mesa, he'd be the man I'd consult.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mesa tubes are just crappy Sovteks aint they? Mesa tubes are not the good stuff, they are the cheap stuff with an expensive logo silk screened onto them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification