I need a tiny amp for this thing:

I just need a basic clean tone for portable jamming, I'd rather not take my halfstack around whenever I want to jam and I want to make use of all this Garnet mojo.

I was thinking either:
A) Crate Powerblock
B) Disassembling a Vox Pathfinder into a head (unless the speaker doesn't disable when you use Speaker Out, like my VT50 does)
C) Kustom Defender ($99, tube, only available by special order at the shop)
D) Valve Junior head (horrifically overpriced and still hard to find used)

What kind of amp can I get that's at least loud and won't fill up my entire trunk like my 4x12? I'd like to spend less than $100 (used) but can possibly go more if it's a good deal.

EDIT:

And by loud I mean basically loud enough to play with a rock n roll drummer
Last edited by Tedward at Sep 9, 2011,
Well, there's the Jet City JCA20h. 20 watt tube head, around $270 new. Try looking for a used one. I've heard some good reviews, and I'd guess that 20 watts would be enough to keep up with a drummer. That seems to be the most powerful amp in the price range.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
You're not going to find a small amp that will compete with a hard hitting drummer and still have a clean sound. If you want to go tube, have acceptable cleans, and play over a drummer I wouldn't go any less than 40W just for the headroom alone.

EDIT: I know it's a combo and SS, but you MIGHT be able to squeak by with a Roland Blues Cube 30. They're about $150-200 used (and go cheaper yet depending on condition). At bedroom levels they sound alright, but cranked they sound fantastic for what you paid. It's considered one of the best SS designs by many people.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 9, 2011,
I have two of those speakers. I know your pain...other then I blew both of them x.x. Just go to pawn shops and try out some old heads or old mixers. They are good too.
Quote by Flux'D
You're not going to find a small amp that will compete with a hard hitting drummer and still have a clean sound. If you want to go tube, have acceptable cleans, and play over a drummer I wouldn't go any less than 40W just for the headroom alone.

EDIT: I know it's a combo and SS, but you MIGHT be able to squeak by with a Roland Blues Cube 30. They're about $150-200 used (and go cheaper yet depending on condition). At bedroom levels they sound alright, but cranked they sound fantastic for what you paid. It's considered one of the best SS designs by many people.

I'd rather have a head, I've never heard of the Blues Cube but the regular Cubes do sound nice. And I really don't care about breakup, in fact it's better if I get some breakup.

Quote by Vendetta V
mesa mini recto.. ortransatlantic..

Did you read my post dude? I'm not going high end, I just want some power.

Quote by jumpaside
I have two of those speakers. I know your pain...other then I blew both of them x.x. Just go to pawn shops and try out some old heads or old mixers. They are good too.

It sounds so damn vintage, I love it (played my VT50 into it) but I'm scared to break it. When I bought it I tested it out through a Valve Junior and the guy cranked it and it was shaking the walls and the bongs on the table ahah. Sounded so nice.
Quote by StevenBoal
orange crush amps. are small but make a great tone.

I really don't want to sound like a dick, but really did anyone read the OP?

Just looking for suggestions on a small (as in extremely portable) amp HEAD (or perhaps a very very small combo with speaker out) for under $150, as it's just a casual jammer for this 4x8 cab I have.

Orange Crush amps are expensive as hell for what they are (rather have a pathfinder for $60) and only come in combos AFAIK.
Quote by gregs1020
zt lunchbox.

it's the loudest amp in the world.

(Invalid img)

And unfortunately, they're like $250...

On a $100 budget I'd go for the Power Block.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
And unfortunately, they're like $250...

On a $100 budget I'd go for the Power Block.

i think they are down to $199.

but in all reality, they would probably blow the speakers completely out of that cab.

Quote by Tedward
I'd rather have a head, I've never heard of the Blues Cube but the regular Cubes do sound nice. And I really don't care about breakup, in fact it's better if I get some breakup.

Did you read my post dude? I'm not going high end, I just want some power.

It sounds so damn vintage, I love it (played my VT50 into it) but I'm scared to break it. When I bought it I tested it out through a Valve Junior and the guy cranked it and it was shaking the walls and the bongs on the table ahah. Sounded so nice.

wooops missed that bit, still just wanted to mention that Mini Recto
I'd take the cab pic out of the OP and put this at the top

Budget: $100 -$200

(I was thinking higher end and didn't really see the budget part) ADHD

Kevin had a Crate Powerbrick and he liked it well. Until it broke. I'd still consider it.