Page 1 of 3
I'm gonna start from the beginning, on June 25th I did some really stupid shit and got caught. Up to my court date (July 20th) I had turned my life around (ignore the username). When I showed up to court the man at the front desk had sent me up to the DA office (not to court) to speak with them. When I got up there they told me that my case had not been filed and I would be contacted if there was any updates.

Now, today I was in the office (I worked in a law firm) and I was pulled aside by my supervisor and she told me I had a warrant out for my arrest.

I was fired on the spot.

I called the DA today, who transferred me to the drug court rep, who then transferred me to "Cathy" and she tells me that the case was filed on July 15th and I did have court on the 20th as it said.

Now the thing here is that I was calling in consistently before my court date (approx 16th through 18th) trying to get a police report for me and my lawyer to look over. Which of course, I couldn't get because the case wasn't filed.

Feel free to ask questions for more detail, but my real anger comes from the fact that I lost the most amazing job I ever had and because of this, they will never hire me back.

After my situation is resolved with this warrant, would it be possible to sue them and put a bunch of incompetent desk jockeys out of work?
It's party time!
Ask a law firm? Most people here are under 20 and a bit on the slow side and can't help. The rest probably don't know law well enough.

Sucks, though, bro.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Ask a law firm? Most people here are under 20 and a bit on the slow side and can't help. The rest probably don't know law well enough.

Sucks, though, bro.

hey dont sa...

never mind your right
You worked in a law firm and aren't sure if you can sue? That'd be a like a luthier not knowing how to string a guitar.
Check out my band Disturbed
I KNOW there are smart people on this forum. This is probably the most intelligent forum Ive ever seen.
It's party time!
TS has a lawyer, yet asks for UG's advice on a lawsuit.

Seems legit.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Depends on who you are suing. If you are found innocent for some reason, and you re-apply for a job with your ex-boss, and they deny you because of that warrant then you can sue them.

If you mean that you want to sue the police, it will be hard. You will need to prove that you were not informed of the filing of the case, and that the police neglected to inform you. With a bit of luck, it might be enough to destroy the inital case against you and nullify it. If not, there's propably more you can use.

And, out of curiosity, why are you asking this when you were working at a law firm ? You know more about this than us.
I worked the debt collection department. I'm not a lawyer, and lawyers are expensive and confusing. I'm not trying to sue the police or the law firm, I'm trying to sue the DA.
It's party time!
Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮
I KNOW there are smart people on this forum. This is probably the most intelligent forum Ive ever seen.

i'm siggin this outta principle that you sound very serious in this comment.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I would say to get the D.A to write a signed letter (all official and whatnot) to your previous supervisor (or whoever has control over your termination) concerning your situation. After your warrant is lifted of course. Now there are two pretty obvious flaws in my solution.
1.) The D.A is busy and can't write a letter/doesn't care enough to write you one.
and
2.) Even if you get the letter, your boss still doesn't want you because...
a.) he/she still thinks you're a drugee, or
b.) he/she is just a dick and couldn't care less, you're just another person on payroll.
Just my 2cents
Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮

I'm sorry but you haven't seen much.
Quote by Skullivan
I would say to get the D.A to write a signed letter (all official and whatnot) to your previous supervisor (or whoever has control over your termination) concerning your situation. After your warrant is lifted of course. Now there are two pretty obvious flaws in my solution.
1.) The D.A is busy and can't write a letter/doesn't care enough to write you one.
and
2.) Even if you get the letter, your boss still doesn't want you because...
a.) he/she still thinks you're a drugee, or
b.) he/she is just a dick and couldn't care less, you're just another person on payroll.
Just my 2cents

That is EXACTLY why I want to sue. Because of them, I almost definitely am not getting hired there again. They think I'm a lier and a convict. When the reality is, they asked me if I was "convicted" of any felonies. The answer, of course, is "no".
This is all due to the miscommunication and incompetence of the DA.
It's party time!
Quote by Ascendant

I'm sorry but you haven't seen much.

Ive been here for 2 years and I visit more frequently than you would think. There is always the portion of the population that denies being smart. But then there is the combo breaker that shuts everyone up.
It's party time!
From a legal point of view, you did some really stupid shit.

Stop doing really stupid shit, and maybe a judge will rule in your favour.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
You want to sue the D.A. because you got busted for possession and then lost your job?

More simply, you want to sue the D.A. because you learned a harsh life lesson?

Isn't the D.A. like the office where the cream of the lawyer crop work?

I'd work on staying the hell out of jail instead of being an asshole.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by UraniYum
From a legal point of view, you did some really stupid shit.

Stop doing really stupid shit, and maybe a judge will rule in your favour.

Maybe you should take into account the fact that I turned my life around since then AND the fact that this isnt the reason I'm posting. I'm NOT in the mood for negativity, I'm in the mood for justice.
It's party time!
Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮
Maybe you should take into account the fact that I turned my life around since then AND the fact that this isnt the reason I'm posting. I'm NOT in the mood for negativity, I'm in the mood for justice.
I don't particularly care what you're in the mood for. If you've done some 'really stupid shit', you'd better learn from your mistakes.

Justice is you paying for your crime.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Firenze
You want to sue the D.A. because you got busted for possession and then lost your job?

More simply, you want to sue the D.A. because you learned a harsh life lesson?

Isn't the D.A. like the office where the cream of the lawyer crop work?

I'd work on staying the hell out of jail instead of being an asshole.

NO! Did you even read the top? I want to sue because they did many things wrong and if you saw this from my point of view, you would be suspicious as well. The fact that I called in after the charges were filed to get a police report and couldnt get one because the case apparently wasnt filed? Maybe the fact that I got NO notification of my warrant, which is a law in oregon.
You have facts, I suggest you check them before calling me out.
It's party time!
Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮

I get what you're saying, and I think too many people here are focusing on anything but your actual situation. So, in basic terms, you've ****ed up, and now it's being processed, but nothing official has been resolved/ gone through. You still have yet to go to court and even the DA's office can't get you police reports/ files. Understood. And you lost your job because if that...

I don't know what else you can do about your job, unless you look into what rights you have as an employee in such situations.

And really, you guys are acting stupid. It's not like he's all "OMG, **** da police, I diden't even do anything" or denying anything that happened. What he did has nothing to do with it. It's a case of incompetent beauracry that got him in this situation.
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮
trying to get a police report for me and my lawyer to look over.

Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮
I'm not a lawyer, and lawyers are expensive and confusing.

So which is it, man? Are you pleading to UG for advice, or do you actually have a lawyer?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by wyldething
So which is it, man? Are you pleading to UG for advice, or do you actually have a lawyer?

You do have a point, although maybe he wants to look at it before he gets a lawyer? It makes sense. Why set up for a lawyer before you even have a case?
Tony, I do want to know how this turns out, I feel you bro
Somebody should be responsible for this and it's not you. This a case of defamation and you are the victim. If only Perry Mason was real, he always won his cases.
Well, you can sue over anything. It definitely sounds worthy of a look at by a lawyer. Can you prove it though? I mean, I assume if you had any documentation saying that they said that it wasn't filed you would have shown it to the law firm and gotten the warrant for your arrest taken care of. If you can't prove it you won't win.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮

Now i KNOW this thread is dildo's.

In all seriousness though, anyone would know more about this than me. I know nothing about the legal system. But i would ask an actual lawyer, they kinda do this stuff.

Quote by UraniYum
I don't particularly care what you're in the mood for. If you've done some 'really stupid shit', you'd better learn from your mistakes.

Justice is you paying for your crime.

If he honestly did everything he needed to reconcile for his crime then why doesn't he deserve the same life you do? Seems like he already paid for it, now he's paying double for no reason.

If he legitimately did everything he said he did i'm on his side, they f*cked up huge and he deserves to get his job back.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Last edited by bass-man9712 at Sep 9, 2011,
You should be all Judge Dredd and yell "I AM THE LAW"
and then proceed to change the law.

Nope. Didn't help one bit did it.

A hug because this isn't your fault.

But now you learned the hard way.
I hope what you did wasn't something stupid like a DUI or hit and run. Because then I'd have no sympathy at all and you'll have to pretend I didn't post that hug emoticon or the message that followed.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Also, to add to my previous statement, you're going to also have to prove how much the DA hurt you. You can't sue then just get a billion dollars. You'll have to prove how much money the DA lost you, and prove that it was them who lost you your job and not yourself. Proof is extremely important as you can't just trot into court and say "the DA took my job away".
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by ☮Tony Stoner☮

You need to visit more forums.
pinga
There are law students on here and there is at least one qualified US based attorney that semi-regularly visits, but no lawyer is going to give you free advice over the internet.

And that's ignoring the fact that it's unlikely that any of the small number of people are familiar with your state's laws and procedures. The only way you're likely to get any sort of help is if you actually ask a lawyer. According to the Oregon State Bar's website the initial consultation should be no more than $35. And while that might be a bit much for someone who's unemployed and could possibly receive a 'no', it's the most accurate help you're going to get.

See if there are any pro bono organisations, possibly run by a college or law school.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
"I have a lawyer"
"I worked in a legal firm"
"Pit, can I sue?"

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
"I have a lawyer"
"I worked in a legal firm"
"Pit, can I sue?"

He had a lawyer for his criminal charges. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a public defender. That's not who you'd go to if you wanted to sue the DA.

Why is everybody assuming that because he worked in a law firm, he has legal knowledge?

I wouldn't allow a hospital porter to perform surgery on me, I don't understand why people assume he'd know the answer to the question.

And while it's unlikely that he'll get specific advice online, he might get some decent advice about where to look for help, if not from someone who's qualified, from someone who's been through something similar in the past.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
He had a lawyer for his criminal charges. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a public defender.

Public defender......................................................................................

(backs away in a moment of silent confusion at own derpiness)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Edit: ^A Public Defender is, if my understanding is correct, a defense attorney assigned by the state by default in a criminal case. If you don't hire a private law firm and/or attorney, they defend you.

Two questions.

1. What exactly did you do? Because some context would be rather helpful.
2. Shouldn't you kind of know the answer to a legal question better than a guitar forum composed mostly of whiny guitar-playing teenagers if you worked at a law firm?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit: ^A Public Defender is, if my understanding is correct, a defense attorney assigned by the state by default in a criminal case. If you don't hire a private law firm and/or attorney, they defend you.

I know what it is. I feel retarded for not thinking of that.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I think TS has a real case on his hands. Because of the DA, he lost his job that he might have stood a good chance at keeping.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by SteveHouse
I know what it is. I feel retarded for not thinking of that.

Apologies, it was unclear, and I've met more than a few people who don't know what a public defender is, so I assumed such.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Page 1 of 3