So I've been trying to learn all about whammy i can, since i'm gonna buy a new guitar and i need to know all about the different kinds of whammy bars. For example, i know that floyd rose is more versatile and "bendable" in terms of effects but there's still things i dont understand, for instance John Petrucci's EBMM guitars only have sort of normal tremolo bars right? Not floyd rose, yet he can do all the amazing shit he used to do with his Ibanez (for example that harmonic diving with the whammy bar on the beggining of Take The Time), which i presume, it had a more floatable bridge (don't know if it was FR or not) now, how can the new one do all the things the previous could? Presuming this one is more limited in terms pitch range? could someone explain me?
And also is it worth to have an original floyd rose?
Advantages/Disadvantages?
And i'm trully sorry about my ignorance, i'm trying to learn more about tremolo bars, and pickups, and the other guitar parts.
Last edited by G-FORCE 69 at Sep 9, 2011,
Basically apart from ibanez, 99% of guitars with floating tremolos have floyd roses, of which the original is by far the best in every way. Some such as fenders come with more classic style tremolos which are for subtle whammy effects, no divebombs or anything and some come with bigsby tremolos which are for the same sorta thing.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Basically apart from ibanez, 99% of guitars with floating tremolos have floyd roses, of which the original is by far the best in every way. Some such as fenders come with more classic style tremolos which are for subtle whammy effects, no divebombs or anything and some come with bigsby tremolos which are for the same sorta thing.

Bolded wrong parts. OFRs are the best in your opinion. People can prefer licensed ones such as the Gotoh, FUs, or Kahlers.

Second, Fenders can be set up to be able to do divebombs, and all the other fun triclks/
Quote by G-FORCE 69
So I've been trying to learn all about whammy i can, since i'm gonna buy a new guitar and i need to know all about the different kinds of whammy bars. For example, i know that floyd rose is more versatile and "bendable" in terms of effects but there's still things i dont understand, for instance John Petrucci's EBMM guitars only have sort of normal tremolo bars right? Not floyd rose, yet he can do all the amazing shit he used to do with his Ibanez (for example that harmonic diving with the whammy bar on the beggining of Take The Time), which i presume, it had a more floatable bridge (don't know if it was FR or not) now, how can the new one do all the things the previous could? Presuming this one is more limited in terms pitch range? could someone explain me?
And also is it worth to have an original floyd rose?
Advantages/Disadvantages?

And i'm trully sorry about my ignorance, i'm trying to learn more about tremolo bars, and pickups, and the other guitar parts.

Yes. If you will use it.

Pros. Vibrato on complex chords you generally cannot.
Dimebombs (without rapidly detuning a hardtail)
Pulling up, chirps, scoops...

Cons. Way longer to restring/ tune.
I cant think of any others.

My '07 ibanez rg w/ edge 3 keeps tune fine.
My Prs torero (year old. Original floyd) I setup/restrung 5-6 months ago and its still in tune and got a bit of fine tuning room to go. However I don't play it that often.
Dude, floyds are so fun. When I got my first floyd guitar, I whammy'd like was kerry king. But once you back to a non-floyd guitar, its hard to re-adjust. Dont get so attached to it. It will eat your taste buds.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by a_hub10
The EBMM JP guitars have the best trem i've ever played. So smooth.

so regarding your experience with that guitar and it's tremolo do you think a FR would compensate or is that tremoloenough in terms of effects, the tuning, etc?
Quote by G-FORCE 69
so regarding your experience with that guitar and it's tremolo do you think a FR would compensate or is that tremoloenough in terms of effects, the tuning, etc?

I love floyds don't get me wrong, but the trem on the JP is just so comfortable. I'm sure Petrucci's work shows you what it can do. If you like the feel of floyd by all means get one. I love mine, but damn if i could only afford a EBMM.
I block my floyd's. I've used a tremolo stop and extra springs.

Benefits: I can still dive bomb, the extra spring tension keeps the tremolo from lifting every time I do a full step bend, and going to a lower/drop tuning doesn't lower the bridge/string height. And when doing bends I don't have to physically bend the string as much to get the required pitch change.

Negs: Can't whammy up, but I don't like that much anyways.

I've also used a wood block. It prevents whammy either up or down.

I also seem to get better sustain with the trem either blocked or stopped (non-floating).
Fender's Synchronized Tremolo (the strat tremolo) can be set up to do anything you can also do on a Floyd Rose; it's just easier on a FR. The only real advantage the FR has is range. No matter how you set up a Synchronized Trem, you will never have the range of a FR, it has to do with the size of the trem cavity (actually you can, but the only guitar that I've ever heard of that has the expanded cavity for a Synchronized Tremolo is the Fender Eric Johnson Signature). You can either have the Synchronized Tremolo set up to do a full range dive bomb or you can have it set up to be able to pull up quite a distance.

I don't know anything specifically about the JP Musicman's trem though.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi