I want to buy a les paul and I've noticed how cheap epiphone les paul's are and whould like to ask wheither they are any different to gibson les pauls.

budget= $2000
$2000? Yeah, you're in the price range for a Gibson. The main difference in brands is Epiphone is more for the average guitarist who isn't going to buy a $800+ guitar. Gibson's do run a bit more expensive. And if you didn't already know, Epiphone and Gibson are brother companies (Epiphone is owned by Gibson). But whether is which is better is completely subjective. You would have to try out different versions of each brands. For example, an Epi Les Paul Special II isn't going to be as good as a Gibson Les Paul Studio in my opinion. But some people would disagree with that. Like most guitars, you just have to try them out to know which to buy.
The chances of a Gibson being better than an Epiphone are a lot higher then vice-versa. If you have 2k to spend get a Gibson ; it will be worth it in terms of longevity and overall playability.
You're spending $2k and you don't know the difference between Epiphone and Gibson?

Uh, what?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Generally, Gibson will have better quality control and better fretwork, also some better hardware.

As for the sound, it is the same wood with the same construction, the Gibson will probably have better electronics, but those can be replaced. overall the Gibson is the higher quality instrument, but not $2,000 higher quality (IMHO). Play them both and see which one you like better. With a $2,000 budget, you should have no problem finding an awesome guitar that can do whatever you want, regardless of what name is on the headstock.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
oh and wyldething,
I did know the difference but I didn't know whiether epiphone were as good as gibson
Quote by wyldething
You're spending $2k and you don't know the difference between Epiphone and Gibson?

Uh, what?

Isn't it cool having money.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by stonyman65
Generally, Gibson will have better quality control and better fretwork, also some better hardware.

As for the sound, it is the same wood with the same construction, the Gibson will probably have better electronics, but those can be replaced. overall the Gibson is the higher quality instrument, but not $2,000 higher quality (IMHO). Play them both and see which one you like better. With a $2,000 budget, you should have no problem finding an awesome guitar that can do whatever you want, regardless of what name is on the headstock.

Not even close.
Gibson's cheapest models ($800) would have 3 piece bodies for the most part, on occasion there's been reports of a 4 or 5 piece, but again only on the cheap models. Trads and Std are 1-2 piece max. Epis are often many more pieces stacked to make a blank. Epi also uses veneers to hide this.
Wood are both Mahogany but doubtfull from the same source & there are many variations of mahogany as well.
Tops, GIbson uses a two or 3 piece slab of maple, no veneers. Epi may be a veneer of a slb on their higher end guitars or a simple veneer over mahogany.

EPis are Poly vs GIbsons Nitro finish.

Playability is a different story, any guitar can play well if decently made and well set up.

You have enough budget for a LP Traditional which is as close to the old LP Standard (of the last 30 years) as you're going to get. If you want Gibson, the Studio can be nice but if you're only going to gas for a full blown STD, make the purchase now and you're done!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by StevenBoal
ok cool thanks guys
I'll probs go for the gibson studio

the studio is a good guitar. but try the guitar when you buy i the store. when i got my studio the action wasn't set up properly. and maybe you just don't like it. if not keepo trying guitars. if nessecairy untill the shopkeeper throws you out
i'm sure for $2000 you should be able to get yourself a LP standard. i advise you try out as many gibsons in your price range as you can find and pick the individual guitar that you like best.

with that budget, don't bother with epiphones, unless you're looking on the vintage guitar market of course
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.