If baritones have longer scale lengths than standard guitars, why are their strings so much thicker? Longer scale length = more string tension. I'm confused... O.o
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Yeah on my 27.5 bari I run .13 - .62's in B. Just bc the scale is longer doesn't mean you can run thing strings for low tunings.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
What about 28 5/8" scale? I used a string tension calculator for tuning to C and it said that a low B with a .56 string would have about as much tension as a .65 on a shorter scale? If they are similar in tension to a standard guitar, would the tone be worse? I remember bass strings have much more tension, but that's mostly because they run HUGE strings...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Quinlan
What about 28 5/8" scale? I used a string tension calculator for tuning to C and it said that a low B with a .56 string would have about as much tension as a .65 on a shorter scale?

Most people are not using a 28 5/8" scale baritone to play C. They use them to play A-A, or even E-E. If you just want extra tension for C you can buy a 26.5" scale (Schecter sells them) and use a set of .012s.

And some people just use heavier strings to get a tighter sound. If you're just chugging along anyway it won't be holding back your bends!