Ok, so, I'm going to practice hard over the next week on my keyboarding/ reading sheet music skills. I've had my keyboard for about a month and have ignored it in preference for my guitars but I've decided I want to get a firm grasp on sheet music and then learn some songs.

I know the clefs, notes, and how to determine key signature. My major concern is note duration. I know what the basic difference between a 4/4 and 3/4 is, however I have a question about whether the number of beats changes if the signature changes?

For example in 4/4 a whole note is 4 beats, does this change if the signature changes? Does is become 3 beats in 3/4 or does it become three beats in 4/3?

4/4 accents the fourth note after four beats, 3/4 accents the fourth note after three beats- which would be the first beat in the next measure correct?

I've already learned part of a song on keyboard, which is why I know what I mentioned at the beginning, but clearing up these questions will let me write down songs I already know on guitar and help me solidify my knowledge.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
to answer your question -- you cannot have a whole note in 3/4 time. a whole note is always the duration of 4 quarter notes -- and you can't have 4 quarter notes in a bar of 3/4 time. you'd need to have a dotted half note tied to a quarter note to represent a 4-beat pitch (or pitches).

i don't know where you're getting the idea that 4/4 accents the fourth note. in 4/4, the first beat takes the main accent, and the third beat takes a subtler accent. the second and fourth beats are both weak. where S is strong, M is moderate, and W is weak -- 4/4 would be S W M W. 3/4 would be S W W.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I've always accented the second and fourth beat in my head when listening to music, guess I have to kill that habit. The last time I studied sheet music was in 5th grade, so I'm a little rusty :P

You answered the 3/4 part, but am I right about the 4/3?

Thanks Wolf.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by iancmtaylor

You answered the 3/4 part, but am I right about the 4/3?

Thanks Wolf.

As far as you're concerned, it doesn't exist.

Just know that the denominator needs to be either a 4, 8, or, in some cases, a 16 (depending on what you're beating, it could go even higher, but that all matters on how slow the tempo is or how fast you plan on playing/writing).
Ok, I had assumed any reduced fraction would work, thanks fifth.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by iancmtaylor
I've always accented the second and fourth beat in my head when listening to music, guess I have to kill that habit.

well, that's the modern way to do things. if you accent beats two and four, it will sound like a pop or rock beat. classical keeps to the traditional way very strictly. placed accents aside, of course.

and yeah, 4/3 doesn't exist, except as a meter that has 4 beats that each have a value of 0.75 of a quarter note.
Quote by iancmtaylor
I've always accented the second and fourth beat in my head when listening to music, guess I have to kill that habit.

Not necessarily. Blues, Funk, Jazz and Rap accent the 2nd and 4th beats fairly often. You may get something like this going on:

Q | (Q) Q (Q) Q | (Q) Q (Q) Q etc.
4 |  1  2  3  4 |  1  2  3  4

where Q represents a quarter note and () is a tie--a held-over note.

Clapping along with Jazz and Rap is usually done on the 2nd and 4th beats.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by AeolianWolf
well, that's the modern way to do things. if you accent beats two and four, it will sound like a pop or rock beat. classical keeps to the traditional way very strictly. placed accents aside, of course.

Hmmm, so if I'm playing something I've never heard before and it could be classical/ neo classical/ Bieber type pop, is there a way to tell? Or just not worry about it and feel it out? Of course I could YouTube something, but when I get to the point where I have my timing down and I'm picking up random songs just for the fun of it...

For reference I want to learn Ludovico Einuadi's Divenire album, as it's very lyrical, yet simple (at least compared to other composers)
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Last edited by iancmtaylor at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by iancmtaylor
Hmmm, so if I'm playing something I've never heard before and it could be classical/ neo classical/ Bieber type pop, is there a way to tell? Or just not worry about it and feel it out? Of course I could YouTube something, but when I get to the point where I have my timing down and I'm picking up random songs just for the fun of it...

generally you could tell on sight. honestly, i've never come across the situation where all i had was the music (no artist, no title, no nothing) and i couldn't discern whether it was classical or pop. i mean, it's a pretty big gap there.

just feel it out. your ear is your greatest tool.
Ok, thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate your help.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by AeolianWolf
generally you could tell on sight. honestly, i've never come across the situation where [...] i couldn't discern whether it was classical or pop. i mean, it's a pretty big gap there.

Wasn't there a pop song that used the themes of Beethoven's 5th? But, seriously, you'll be able to tell using...

Quote by AeolianWolf
your ear

...this.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
I had figured because I hadn't seen any notation for accents that weren't built into the actual notation of the notes with slurs, beams, ect.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

No, I knew that notes were divided into whole, half, quarter, ect, and I knew that there were x beats per measure, I just wanted to clarify that the number of beats per note doesn't change if the time signature changes.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

lol ok, bye bye
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.