I always wondered if i had small say 15 watt amp. with a microphone (to a big speaker) to make it louder,
would it be any different to if i had a bigger amp. with no microphone??? and would the quality be better on the bigger one?
I am NOT experienced with this, not completely anyway. I've never tried Mic'ing a sound from a small amp to go through a big speaker, But i just have a feeling that having an actual amp ( the bigger one you talkin about) would sound much better than both the 15 watt and mic setup... combined.
When you are playing live, whether your amp is big or small, it is always better to put everything through the pa so the mix is good and the audience hears the same thing from different positions.
Quote by StevenBoal
I always wondered if i had small say 15 watt amp. with a microphone (to a big speaker) to make it louder,
would it be any different to if i had a bigger amp. with no microphone??? and would the quality be better on the bigger one?

seriously?

ok <takes deep breath>

by bigger do you mean more watts?

if so, the answer to your question depends on a lot of things.

-there are 15w amps out there that will blow a 100w amp away mic'd or not mic'd
-there are 100w amps out there that will suck compared to other amps even if mic'd

as an example

i mean, it depends a lot on the type of music, gigging situation, amps, chain, etc
maybe

I'm just saying I'd rather have 15w Fender Blues Jr over a 100w Fender Frontman.

Or a Marshall Class 5 over a Marshall MG50FX.

but yeah, a 15w amp mic'd for metal playing may not sound as good in the end as a 100w amp unmic'd for metal playing. Normally, all things being equal you want more watts for a genre like metal - and less watts for a genre like blues or punk. (major generalizations there)

so....the OP needs to be cleaned up as to what the real question is
If it sounds good on its own then it will sound good through your PA unless the PA and mike are crap. Shit in, shit out. The amp really only has one job - to sound good. A lot of us prefer big amps so we don't have to rely on foldback to hear ourselves (and some like me like the power so we can get good feedback). If feedback isn't an issue and you trust the sound guy to give you a decent foldback mix then the size of the amp is irrelevant. As 311 said, some big amps are crap and some small amps are fantastic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 10, 2011,
Personally, i'd rather have a big crappy MG that i know would give me stage volume rather than some 5watter tube amp that sounds nice but won't get me that volume, mainly because the places around here , pubs and the like, will sometimes not even have monitors and will just have a vocal PA.
So, i'd need to get the volume from the amp and having an amp that i know i can plug into, turn up and be set regardless of the sound support at the venue is nice to have.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Personally, i'd rather have a big crappy MG that i know would give me stage volume rather than some 5watter tube amp that sounds nice but won't get me that volume, mainly because the places around here , pubs and the like, will sometimes not even have monitors and will just have a vocal PA.
So, i'd need to get the volume from the amp and having an amp that i know i can plug into, turn up and be set regardless of the sound support at the venue is nice to have.

As you know I use big amps anyway but............. you know how I solved your dilemma? I bought a PA. Problem solved. It wasn't that expensive and I've just added to it later as I could afford it or bargains came up. If you are serious you should buy a PA. Every serious musician should have some sort of PA or you're just a poser - or a kid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
As you know I use big amps anyway but............. you know how I solved your dilemma? I bought a PA. Problem solved. It wasn't that expensive and I've just added to it later as I could afford it or bargains came up. If you are serious you should buy a PA. Every serious musician should have some sort of PA or you're just a poser - or a kid.

A million times this. Many times I have played gigs where I knew there wouldn't be any foldback speakers, so I took my own power amp and PA speakers and used these on the floor as monitors. A couple of angle irons to lean the PA speakers on (turned on their sides) and job done
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by Cathbard

I don't have the space or the way to transport a PA right now and i don't really need one, i've done fine getting myself heard with my amp on stage in every place we've gigged at. If i was using a small amp then i'd agree, but i don't see the need now because i get plenty of volume as it is.