What is better for playing live?
Lots of single effects pedals or one multiple effects pedal?
Amp and guitar?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I prefer pedals. By far. I like my GNX4 but live it's got some problems. Keeping presets straight, amount of time taken to program everything, a slight but noticeable lag when switching effects, limited amount of footswitches available, etc. The exception would be the Fractal Audio AxeFx, with a midi foot controller. If I had unlimited money I might go that route just to streamline my setup. With pedals, you know what you're gonna get every time you step on the footswitch, and with a well set-up pedal board you can get a huge array of sounds out of 4 or 5 pedals. My last reason for going with individual pedals is that's what 90+ percent of gigging musicians use.

Also- good pedals don't have to be expensive. A lot of people feel like their pedals have to be EH or some boutique brand or whatever. I've got a couple of cheap Boss pedals that sound pro quality and are on my board next to my Fulltone and EH stuff.
Quote by CavemanJB
My last reason for going with individual pedals is that's what 90+ percent of gigging musicians use.

Also- good pedals don't have to be expensive. A lot of people feel like their pedals have to be EH or some boutique brand or whatever. I've got a couple of cheap Boss pedals that sound pro quality and are on my board next to my Fulltone and EH stuff.

A lot of pro's use a mixture from my experience. Granted, the multieffects they use are very expensive rack processors but still...

Also most multieffects will get the same quality as boss effects. It really depends on how many sounds TS wants, and how many effects he will use
RIP Gooze

cats
lets say 4 boss single pedals (about $100 each)
against a boss ME-70, $400, (multiple effects).
Quote by StevenBoal
lets say 4 boss single pedals (about $100 each)
against a boss ME-70, $400, (multiple effects).

Multi effects if your limiting it too that. It's a lot more versatile
RIP Gooze

cats
boss ME-70 specs:

AD Conversion
24-bit + AF method*
DA Conversion
24-bit
Sampling Frequency
44.1 kHz
Patch
36 (User) + 36 (Preset)
Effect Type (all the effects)
COMP/FX (Compressor/Effect): COMP, T.WAH UP, T.WAH DOWN, SLOW GEAR, DEFRETTER, Single>Hum, Hum>Single, SOLO OD/DS (Overdrive/Distortion): BOOST, NATURAL, OD-1, BLUES, DIST, CLASSIC, MODERN, METAL, CORE, FUZZ MODULATION: CHORUS, PHASER, FLANGER, ROTARY, UNI-V, TREMOLO, VIBRATO, HARMONIST, OCTAVE, DELAY DELAY: 1-99 ms, 100-990 ms, 1000-6000 ms, ANALOG, MODULATE, REVERSE, CHO + DELAY, MOMENTARY, TAP, PHRASE LOOP PREAMP: OFF, EQ, CLEAN, COMBO, TWEED, STACK, LEAD STK, R-FIER NS (Noise Suppressor) REVERB: ROOM, HALL PEDAL FX (Pedal Effect): WAH, VOICE, +1 OCTAVE, -1 OCTAVE, MOD RATE
Nominal Input Level
GUITAR INPUT: -10 dBu AUX IN: -18 dBu
Input Impedance
GUITAR INPUT: 1M ohm AUX IN: 22k ohms
Nominal Output Level
-10 dBu
Output Impedance
2k ohms
Display
7 segments, 2 digits LED
Power Supply
DC 9 V Dry Batteries (R6/LR6(AA) type) x 6 AC Adaptor (BOSS PSA series: sold separately)
Options
AC Adaptor: BOSS PSA series Foot Switch: BOSS FS-5U, FS-6
Quote by StevenBoal
boss ME-70 specs:

huh?

muledit: Not if they were all boss. If you were buying single pedals individually, and get high quality ones they will be better than most multi effects units.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by StevenBoal
are single effect pedals be better quality?
then multiple

It depends completely on price.
Cheap multi effects > cheap pedals
Expensive multi effects < Expensive pedals
Very expensive multi effects = very expensive pedals [more or less]
RIP Gooze

cats
I'd get a one-spot, some velcro, and a piece of wood. There's your brand new shiny cheap pedalboard that will last you for life. With the money left over you could buy a few pedals (look used on craigslist, or go to manufacturers sites and look for pedals with manufacturing defects, that sound just as good) and you'll be set. You'll also be free to add and take away pedals as you see fit in the future. There's demos for pretty much every pedal ever made on youtube as well by the way.
Quote by mulefish
It depends completely on price.
Cheap multi effects > cheap pedals
Expensive multi effects < Expensive pedals
Very expensive multi effects = very expensive pedals [more or less]

I agree. I would start building a pedalboard anyway though. You could get the multi unit now, but I would venture a guess that at some point you will want to add pedals to that, then before you know it you'll be using the pedals for pretty much everything, and you'll take the multi off your board and use it as a paperweight. And I had a pretty bad ass muti... That's how my experience went anyway...
could you build a pedal board (like you were saying) when you were done with you
multi-effects board, and put the multi-effects on it? and then start collecting single effects?

cause then you've got every thing in one!
yeah ablsolutely but you're multi will come with a power supply so you don't really need to. and once you start collecting pedals you're not going to use the multi anymore.
If you are playing live and need to switch up to very differents tones and fx on a per song basis then you should consider a multifx. The Pod HD500 is a pretty solid unit. It has multiple control assignments per switch so you don't need to switch presets if you have to control several parameters with a single switch press. The RP1000 is another good unit, but you lack the multiple control assignments per control switch. And need to change presets to get a multipple change up on a single press.

If you think you are going to build a pedalboard then consider spending $200 on a Zoom G3. I has the equivilent of 3 single pedals in one. And each of the three can be assigned to any effect. You can add other pedals to it and it only takes a small amount of board space.
I have a Digitech RP500. I love it. It is perfect for playing live. It has more fx available than I will probably ever use, but I still enjoy playing around with them every now and then. Lots of amp models, fx, and extremely durable. I haven't tried the RP1000, but it is essentially the same thing but split out with 5 fx stomp switches, and 5 preset stomp switches.

Setup/takedown for a live show is easy, and most of the time I just run it into the mixer.

Huge pedal boards I imagine are super sexy and get someone lots of extra credit points as a guitarist. But personally, I'd rather spend less money and get more. And from a portability perspective, it can't be beat. And it takes up less space.