So i found some amps on kijiji and i was wondering if they were any good.
I am asking about the Randall rx120dhs halfstack and the peavey supereme xl head.

Which sounds better for metal?

I play a variety of music but i want an amp for metal and i have a pretty low budget. They are both $200 and i cant go much higher than that. I have an epiphone Special right now but very soon am going to get a schecter hellraiser. I will do some bedroom practicing with it but i need something to play with in my band. Are any of these amp good or should i wait and get something else? Also i dont need anything too professional i do not do any huge gigs.
If you want bedroom/band practice/small gig versatility with decent tone on a low budget, then you probably want a 50 or 60 watt combo. $200 or even $400 for a good half stack sounds pretty sketchy to me. A good Mesa 4x12 cab alone costs $600. Additionally, if you are going to be moving it from your bedroom to practice often, a half stack just isn't as practical to move as a combo. I speak from experience.

That said, I have a Randall RH150 hybrid head running through a Peavey 4x12 with no pedals and I love my high gain tone.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
the amps are used and bargained down so i dont know if their horrible but it sounds like a decent price to me
Quote by RR3tran
If you want bedroom/band practice/small gig versatility with decent tone on a low budget, then you probably want a 50 or 60 watt combo. $200 or even $400 for a good half stack sounds pretty sketchy to me. A good Mesa 4x12 cab alone costs $600. Additionally, if you are going to be moving it from your bedroom to practice often, a half stack just isn't as practical to move as a combo. I speak from experience.

That said, I have a Randall RH150 hybrid head running through a Peavey 4x12 with no pedals and I love my high gain tone.

woah, Randall RH150 g3 for the win,

except i need a new tube or possibly a whole new power circuit in mine
Sounds pretty sketchy to me, man. $200 is a steep markdown for both of them. Decent used Supreme XL heads go for about $400 in Guitar Center and new RX120DHS half stacks sold for about $600.

Quote by ampoverload
woah, Randall RH150 g3 for the win,

except i need a new tube or possibly a whole new power circuit in mine

Finally, another RH150 G3 owner

What's the matter with yours?
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
I will be able to try out the amps before i buy them but does either amp sound good enough to be worth it?
Quote by RR3tran
Sounds pretty sketchy to me, man. $200 is a steep markdown for both of them. Decent used Supreme XL heads go for about $400 in Guitar Center and new RX120DHS half stacks sold for about $600.

Finally, another RH150 G3 owner

What's the matter with yours?

i had it cranked at 10 then next time i went to play it, i forgot to turn it down and turned it on cold and i think it hurt the power section. the tech at my local shop said its prolly the tube in the power circuit, the speakers in the cab were fine, the pre amp is fine cause it does fine with direct recording with the line out, but when i play through the cab its really quiet and sounds like blown speakers,

hopefully its just the tube
If it's possible to try them before you buy, I definitely think that it is worth your time. If they are in good condition, $200 for either is a steal.

Be sure to check their condition too. I read somewhere on this site that when trying out amps, you should stomp the ground next to the amp to check for any rattles. That method saved me from buying a lemon once
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Quote by epiphone316
Thanks alot but again which one sounds Better?

Thats really up to personal preference, i'd say try them out on the same cab and see which one you like the best.
I don't know which one sounds better, but even if I did, it wouldn't matter because good tone is subjective. You'll find out when you try them out yourself

Quote by ampoverload
i had it cranked at 10 then next time i went to play it, i forgot to turn it down and turned it on cold and i think it hurt the power section. the tech at my local shop said its prolly the tube in the power circuit, the speakers in the cab were fine, the pre amp is fine cause it does fine with direct recording with the line out, but when i play through the cab its really quiet and sounds like blown speakers,

hopefully its just the tube

Have you not tried changing your tube yet? It's relatively inexpensive. The power section should be able to take a massive amount of abusive and it's a good sign you're getting any sound at all
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
I would say Peavey. They are solid amps and i've never had a Peavey break down on me. Obviously, try before you buy just to make sure they are in good condition though
Quote by RR3tran
I don't know which one sounds better, but even if I did, it wouldn't matter because good tone is subjective. You'll find out when you try them out yourself

Have you not tried changing your tube yet? It's relatively inexpensive. The power section should be able to take a massive amount of abusive and it's a good sign you're getting any sound at all

im about to order one actually, like 15 bucks for a JJ electronics 12at7

quick question, does yours seem to be lacking some distortion, i've always noticed mine kinda seems like theres not enough, pinch harmonics are hard to get on mine, and sounds a little weak. it might be my speakers, they are old.
How about no to all, what is this thread?????????????????????????????????
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
How about no to all, what is this thread?????????????????????????????????

+1

[insert sticky here]

seriously - at this level, it is all down to what you like and what you think the condition is. I'd take the Supreme - but what if it is f'd up and it sounds like crap to you?

go play 'em mang!
Thanks, i think im gonna go for the peavey.

P.S. im 14 and i dont have a summer job anymore so cant save up until nest summer

Quote by ampoverload
im about to order one actually, like 15 bucks for a JJ electronics 12at7

quick question, does yours seem to be lacking some distortion, i've always noticed mine kinda seems like theres not enough, pinch harmonics are hard to get on mine, and sounds a little weak. it might be my speakers, they are old.

I believe I put a 12ax7 in mine because I've read they're better for high gain

Definitely your speakers. I keep my Gain 2 knob at 8 and the distortion is huge and harmonics are really easy. A new tube should also remedy low gain because I wasn't satisfied with my tone until i changed the tube for the first time. Lastly, check your pickups because active ones or even good passives really do make a difference
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Quote by RR3tran
I believe I put a 12ax7 in mine because I've read they're better for high gain

Definitely your speakers. I keep my Gain 2 knob at 8 and the distortion is huge and harmonics are really easy. A new tube should also remedy low gain because I wasn't satisfied with my tone until i changed the tube for the first time. Lastly, check your pickups because active ones or even good passives really do make a difference

lol i just made a thread about swapping an at for an ax

you havent had any problems with it or anything? did u have to re bias or anything. i might go with a ax7
Quote by ampoverload
lol i just made a thread about swapping an at for an ax

you havent had any problems with it or anything? did u have to re bias or anything. i might go with a ax7

Sorry mate, didn't see.

Been 6 months now, no problems. Also still sounds as good as the day I put the new tube in, if not better. Rebiasing? I simply took the old tube off, put the new one in the right connectors and bam, instant tone improvement. If you are going to be using your amp primarily in high gain, I would say go for the 12AX7. But if you use it more often for low gain jazz or clean, go with the 12AT7.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Quote by RR3tran
Sorry mate, didn't see.

Been 6 months now, no problems. Also still sounds as good as the day I put the new tube in, if not better. Rebiasing? I simply took the old tube off, put the new one in the right connectors and bam, instant tone improvement. If you are going to be using your amp primarily in high gain, I would say go for the 12AX7. But if you use it more often for low gain jazz or clean, go with the 12AT7.

im gonna go with the 12ax7

thanks man.