So, I've got a chance to snatch up a Marshall JCM600 head. Thing is, I don't know a lot about them, other than having gotten to try one out at relatively low volume at my buddy's shop(I figure that before I think about getting it I'll take it in the basement and crank it). I haven't seen a lot of reviews online, but the reviews I have seen make me a little wary; I've seen a few things about overheating and a few reliability issues. While I'm sure that my buddy will have my back on this if I buy it, I wanted to see how serious they were and if anyone had any personal experience with them.
They were a budget amp really. They do have overheating problems. A lot of guys add fans to them. I'd only take it if it was really cheap and you couldn't find an old JCM800 for a decent, comparable price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They were a budget amp really. They do have overheating problems. A lot of guys add fans to them. I'd only take it if it was really cheap and you couldn't find an old JCM800 for a decent, comparable price.

I actually can get it for pretty cheap and see about adding a fan to it. Tone-wise, I've heard it's closer to a Super Lead than an 800; truth or no?
Cool amps, but they are very unreliable.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is it just the overheating issue, or do they have other reliability issues that make this a bad idea for me(and how would one go about correcting them, if at all possible)?
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
I actually can get it for pretty cheap and see about adding a fan to it. Tone-wise, I've heard it's closer to a Super Lead than an 800; truth or no?

Now when you say a Super Lead, you mean a Plexi, yes? The JCM600 is a master volume amp (ie it has a gain knob) like an 800, not a non-mv like a plexi.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So obviously in things like that, with the master volume, it's closer to the 800. But in terms of actual tone, is there another Marshall that it's the closest to?
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at Sep 10, 2011,
A 2204 JCM800 would be closest but don't expect it to sound exactly the same. A 2204 will slay it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It has a plexi-ish sound to me(coming from someone who has only played a vm, but owned a jcm800).

I really liked the tone, but it was a bit thin sounding. Could be better with an ext. cab. Plus, it had those stupid clipping diodes, which I could sort of notice before I knew what a clipping diode was. Cleans are nice, but they break up super quick.

If they had made this more reliable without the damn diodes I would have to own one.
Oh sorry, I said 2204, I meant to say 2205.
Don't know how you could call it plexi sounding. If I had a plexi that sounded like that I'd be pulling it apart looking for the blown capacitor.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification