Finally decided to drive down to my local Long & McQuade and trade in my B.C. Rich Warbeast One. I saw this the day before, and it was practically love at first sight.

Came with a hard case

A Gibson USA case

Nice and plush. A great guitar deserves to travel in comfort.

Yes, it really is a Gibson.

Zoom out to view the whole headstock. I'm sure some of you can already tell what kind of Gibson this is

Mmmmm Gibson Explorer in cherry red with white pickguard.

A little closer

Closer!

Serial number: 11101651
Made in USA 2011

Review:
I've been searching for a guitar with a TOM bridge to replace my Warbeast. And I've always wanted a Gibson. But after trying many Les Paul's and SG's, I thought I would have to shy away from the idea of owning a Gibson, since I could never get the feel of their fatter necks. But when I saw this, I just felt it was going to be the guitar to take the place of the old Beast. Down from the top stand she came, and into my hands to where they stayed.
The guitar is balanced almost perfectly, neither neck or body diving (which I actually found surprising with the size of the body!). The 496R in the neck position and the 500T in bridge are extremely versatile.
It came set up to my liking. Low action, no fret buzz, and neck straight. Beautiful!

The only issue I've found is the volume pots; the only volume change is from 0 to 1. But it's more like jumping from 0 straight to 10. If anyone has a solution for this, it would be much appreciated.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
changing out the potentiometers to alpha brand pots, or bourne pots will fix that problem.

also, get some nice silver wiring and good caps while your at it. it will be like 100 u.s. for it all, but its like putting boutique pickups in the guitar, it polishes the tone nicely
That case looks snug and cozy

HNGD

the explorer at my GC is terrible and it feels so cheap
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Great gain on that top.

The volume thing is probably because you're used to audio taper pots and this guitar uses linear, or the other way around. Audio taper tends to dip out very quickly at one end of the pot and linear often sounds like it's doing the same thing at the other end. They can both just sound like on/off switches if you're used to the opposite version. Try and find out what kidn of pot is in the guitar and what kind of pot is in most of the other guitars you own, then you can work out which sort of pot you need to change to. Generally linear pots are great for studio and bedroom playing where you might want to set the knob right at 5 to get exactly 50% of the output while audio taper pots are better for live playing where you might want to drop the volume out more quickly and where you want to half the percieved volume instead of just the output.
i am considering picking one up. my only concern is getting to the 22nd fret, as with the lower wing the wood gets in the way.

is that something you get used to? or just deal with not being able to get to the 22nd?

HNGD, what a beauity.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's beautiful.

I've got a Candy Apple Red Strat and a Crimson Swirl Jackson Kelly, and after looking at this I don't think it's likely I'll ever buy a guitar that isn't red.
Quote by Butt Rayge
It's beautiful.

I've got a Candy Apple Red Strat and a Crimson Swirl Jackson Kelly, and after looking at this I don't think it's likely I'll ever buy a guitar that isn't red.

I still hate the kid that I saw walking out with the Crimson Swirl RR3 the day I planned on going to buy it. The guy that I was dealing with couldn't stop apologizing for letting it go before I came back again.
I don't know what colour I'd go for next. It all depends what catches my eye, and what feels good in my hands.

Quote by grohl1987
Great gain on that top.

The volume thing is probably because you're used to audio taper pots and this guitar uses linear, or the other way around. Audio taper tends to dip out very quickly at one end of the pot and linear often sounds like it's doing the same thing at the other end. They can both just sound like on/off switches if you're used to the opposite version. Try and find out what kidn of pot is in the guitar and what kind of pot is in most of the other guitars you own, then you can work out which sort of pot you need to change to. Generally linear pots are great for studio and bedroom playing where you might want to set the knob right at 5 to get exactly 50% of the output while audio taper pots are better for live playing where you might want to drop the volume out more quickly and where you want to half the percieved volume instead of just the output.

Not too sure what type of pots my other guitars have. The Jackson has active EMG's and the Ibanez has passive Dimarzio D'Activator's.
The problem with the Gibson is there is no volume change 1-10. I get what you're saying where the change would be at a different spot than what I might be used to, but the only change is from 0-1, but it's more like a straight 0-10.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am considering picking one up. my only concern is getting to the 22nd fret, as with the lower wing the wood gets in the way.

is that something you get used to? or just deal with not being able to get to the 22nd?

HNGD, what a beauity.

For me, my hand sits about a pinky's width away from the lower wing while one the 22nd. Look closely at the pictures and you can see the cutaway lines comes in almost all the way to the 22nd. But try one out. Everyone's hands are different. I don't have anywhere near the longest fingers in the world (Paul Gilbert seemed to steal a little from me....) and I don't have an issue with it.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Sep 10, 2011,
nice. good change in guitar.

well, a quality amp and tone knob act more as a tone than a volume - giving the ability to clean up or add grit. some players like that.
I used to have the same guitar, but white. Best guitar I have ever had, I still regret selling it.
****ing sexy bud'.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Quote by ikey_
well, a quality amp and tone knob act more as a tone than a volume - giving the ability to clean up or add grit. some players like that.

'Cause a MESA tube amp isn't a quality amp...
I just want to be able to roll the volume on my guitar down to practically nothing for parts of songs where I want a softer gain. I can get it almost clean sounding with my other guitars.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
HNGD! Always have loved Explorers.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
That thing is God-Awful ugly, looks like it plays and sounds like crap.

I'll take it off your hands for $200...

No?

HNGD!!!
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Nice guitar!

How do you like your 5:25?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by Koshman32
I still hate the kid that I saw walking out with the Crimson Swirl RR3 the day I planned on going to buy it. The guy that I was dealing with couldn't stop apologizing for letting it go before I came back again.
I don't know what colour I'd go for next. It all depends what catches my eye, and what feels good in my hands.

Oh no. I ordered a Blackstar amp but hadn't paid anything for it. The shop was going to order them in anyway, but I was kinda the catalyst for the decision. I wanted one and they didn't have them, but they were planning on it in the future. Anyway, on the day that it came in I got a call from the shop to let me know I could come in and try it, but before I even got the chance to consider making a move they called me back and told me somebody thought it was so good after trying it once that he paid them the $1000 price tag straight up. He got me in a new one, though and I tried it, I loved it and I bought it. Put money on it as soon as it came in so it didn't escape me, though.

I'm actually planning buying a cherry red Hagstrom Swede soon. I'll play one first, of course, I think the fact that I really like the colour will just be a bonus. (If I buy it.)
Quote by drying out
Nice guitar!

How do you like your 5:25?

I really like it. Perfect for my needs. Can get almost every tone I want with the help of my VOX Ice 9 OD.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by bkmurff
That thing is God-Awful ugly, looks like it plays and sounds like crap.

I'll take it off your hands for $200...

No?

Add another 0 to the end of that and you got yourself a deal.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings