I'm having some major problems with my vocal recordings guys. they all sound dry and lifeless, no matter what i do. I have a solid computer and i'm running one of the two setups:
Shure SM58 > R16 Audio Interface > Reaper
or
MXL 770 Condenser > R16 Audio Interface > Reaper

I usually set up the mic, put my pop filter infront, turn the gain up just under peaking and then sing but it just sounds terrible.

BEFORE you say, "oh you probably just suck at singing" or "learn how to scream properly"... I can sing well enough to get a lead role in my highschool's musical (not the movie) and recordings of me singing that isn't direct into my computer sound pretty good usually.

If anyone can help, I would love it.
Quote by Grimnak27
oh you probably just suck at singing

I agree with this.

Seems to be the only explanation that makes sense.
I think i found it out... When i plug the USB direct from my board into my computer it works but if i don't plug in the power it sounds like shit. i put the power in it and now it sounds half decent.
Quote by BloodReverence
I think i found it out... When i plug the USB direct from my board into my computer it works but if i don't plug in the power it sounds like shit. i put the power in it and now it sounds half decent.

What?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
turn down the gain a bit,add reverb,compression and a de-esser and sing better
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Reverb makes a world of difference on vocals
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by radkins2
Try auto tune

For someone that's got a link to a recording school in their sig, you really didn't help or add anything at all since Auto Tune would most likely not help his situation. Maybe you should check out a school for recording. There's an ad for 2 in your sig you may wanna check out
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by radkins2
Try auto tune

And now I see why explaining basic principles of compression to you was a waste of time... you're either a troll, or an idiot - congratulations.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Does it really sound 'dry'? If you listen to the vocal by itself, can you hear *any* reverberation from the room at all?

How big or small of a room are you recording in? Do you have acoustic treatment? Even a mic like the SM57 will pick up a lot of low-mid crap in a small room with no treatment. That will make voices sound dull and annoying.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R