Sorry, if this is against the rules (I rarely frequent this forum), but what's the difference between Phosphor-Bronze and 80/20 Bronze Strings?

I was looking for some new strings for my old Epiphone EJ-200 (Epiphone version of the Gibson Super Jumbo), and I realized that I knew nothing about acoustic guitar strings. This is quite literally the very first time I've changed strings on this guitar since acquiring it 3 years ago (blasphemy, I know, but for a majority of the time I was in a different state than the guitar was in).

Anyways, I went with the 80/20 Bronze, well, because it was cheaper, and was wondering what the difference would be, if any, if I went with Phosphor Bronze.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i find 80/20's to be brighter than pb's, and since i don't like brighter, i don't use 80/20's.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
From my experience with them, 80/20 will start out much brighter, but they tend to mellow out for me after a while. Phosphor Bronze, on the other hand, starts out with a bit of brightness and retains it for longer.

I don't know that its true, but I also heard at one point, that the entire reason that PB was even created was to get a string that lasts longer. The phosphor was added for longevity purposes and the tonal differences were really just more of an accident. Again, just something I heard from a customer in the store one day.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by kangaxxter
Sorry, if this is against the rules (I rarely frequent this forum), but what's the difference between Phosphor-Bronze and 80/20 Bronze Strings?

I was looking for some new strings for my old Epiphone EJ-200 (Epiphone version of the Gibson Super Jumbo), and I realized that I knew nothing about acoustic guitar strings. This is quite literally the very first time I've changed strings on this guitar since acquiring it 3 years ago (blasphemy, I know, but for a majority of the time I was in a different state than the guitar was in).
I think there's even still a "brass" acoustic string, (Dean Markley (?)), which are really shrill and strident, at least for a while.

If I had to guess, (and I do), if this Epi has the same amount of maple in it as does the Gibson, it shouldn't really need terribly bright strings to aggravate the high end.

Something else to investigate might be, "coated strings", either "Elixir Nanoweb" or "D'addario EXP" coated strings. (Corresponding websites: http://store.daddario.com/category/144846 and http://www.elixirstrings.com/ ).

Don't know if we can trust you with coated strings though, one set of these might be on the guitar for the rest of your life.....

That said, you don't really know what you like, until you sit in the same spot, play the same songs, with the same guitar, and experience the different tonalities available with different string sets.

Anecdotally, I had this awful "Ovation Anniversary 1157", which sounded like a dull thud with anything other that Dean Markley Brass strings. Mercifully, it was stolen.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 10, 2011,