I was randomly in my local Guitar Center today and outta the corner of my eye I saw the biggest combo amp I have ever seen. This 80lb+ behemoth was a block letter 5150 combo. I peeked in the back and it had a pair of Groove Tube 6L6's and I couldn't see the preamp tubes. I couldn't turn it past 1 on post gain for either channel, from what I've heard though it has a really tight bottom end. It didn't come with a foot switch and it was a little beaten up, but it's a 20 year old amp after all.

Was this model a good one to get? It had 2 inputs, making it a Mk1, and reverb which I thought was odd. They want $450 for this thing and it's really tempting as I've been looking for a new amp recently. I wasn't joking when I said it was huge, it comes up well past your knee sitting on the ground.

I prefer my amp to have a nicer clean channel and from what I heard this one is a little lacking.. how does it take effects? Specifically time-based ones? And how would a S-S-S Strat sound through it?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I have experience with a JSX and XXX combo but never the 5150/6505 family. So I have an idea for what these amps are aimed towards. I'm just wondering if this one is one of the better 5150's to get and some general info on the amp itself.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I have that amp. Same exact one you described.

It's a good amp, and that's a good price, but I'm trying to get rid of mine ASAP. Reason being: It's just... impossible to transport on a regular basis. Every time i lift it, I feel like my spine is going to break. It's just a really horribly designed amp. It needs side handles.

But if that doesn't bother you, the tone is really really good. Cleans are good, if you tweak the EQ enough. Not great or amazing by any means, but they are good. But the real meat and potatoes of that amp is the lead channel. It just sounds so raw, and real, it's definitely a gem.

If you have a cab though, or plan on getting one, get the head version. Save your back the damage.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I mean a 5150 combo is a great amp for $450 if it is in good condition and fits your music style. Sure. There are approximately 27,498 threads on the 5150/6505 series at UG alone. So, will you be carrying it around? What kind of cleans do you play? It is a mid heavy amp like the JSX but not as bright and heavy as hell. literally and figuratively

bias mod and possibly new speakers may take it over the top if you want a combo

nevermind me
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 10, 2011,