Hey:
My guitar teacher just helped order a Blackstar Ht5 reverb halfstack
From the information he told me, i judged that he mistakenly plugged the cabinet into the emulated output instead of the 16olms output. He doesn't read English nor owned a half-stack before.
Could that have done damage on the amp or speaker? he told me he only used it for a short while.
I am going to get it in 2 days, how do I know if any damage has been done?
Is that the same as line out?
Did it even make any sound?

If it's what I think it is (line level out) then no damage was done. DO make sure he's using a SPEAKER cable, and make sure the cab says 16 ohms as well.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The only thing it could have hurt is the output transformer because you had no load. Does it still sound ok hooked up properly? If so, you're good to go. It's usually pretty obvious when you blow an OT. It loses its magic blue smoke and will just stop working. The chances of melting the insulation and causing shorts before the wire blows is about 1:10^10
In short, if it still works ok everything is peachy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Is that the same as line out?
Did it even make any sound?

If it's what I think it is (line level out) then no damage was done. DO make sure he's using a SPEAKER cable, and make sure the cab says 16 ohms as well.

When you say line out do you mean like the thing you would put into a mixer/pa, use headphone or record? if yes then that is what it is.
So he basically took the cable that came with the amp and connected the 16ohm extension cab and plugged it into the emulated output with nothing on the amps output (the amps has three options, 16ohm x 1, 8ohmx2 or 8 ohm x2 )
Btw thx lots for answering man.
He told me there was sound coming out, and he also mentionted that i was as loud as he'd expected.
Quote by Cathbard
The only thing it could have hurt is the output transformer because you had no load.

I Totally looked past that and worried about the stupid cab

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Cathbard
The only thing it could have hurt is the output transformer because you had no load. Does it still sound ok hooked up properly? If so, you're good to go. It's usually pretty obvious when you blow an OT. It loses its magic blue smoke and will just stop working. The chances of melting the insulation and causing shorts before the wire blows is about 1:10^10
In short, if it still works ok everything is peachy.

IDK man i will get it tmr or the day after.
SO basically if everything still sounds reasonable then it's cool? Like if there was something wrong it would be seriously wrong, not sth slightly off that i won't b able to hear?
Btw thx for the really fast reply man
Oh yeah is there anyway he could have effed up the emulated output that way?
Last edited by RayL at Sep 10, 2011,
Yeah, if it sounds good it is good.
No, the emulated output should be fine. The OT is the only thing to worry about and if it's gone you'll know all about it.

On the positive side. It's only 5 W so it could probably operate with no load all day without blowing the OT. You'd have to be damn unlucky for there to be a problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, if it sounds good it is good.
No, the emulated output should be fine. The OT is the only thing to worry about and if it's gone you'll know all about it.

On the positive side. It's only 5 W so it could probably operate with no load all day without blowing the OT. You'd have to be damn unlucky for there to be a problem.

yeah it really freaked me out, it's not a small amount of investment for me lol, and i heard all kinds of story about the results of not having a load.
Yeah man thx a bunch!
I am actually still quite pissed at the fact that he decided to try out the amp yet still didn't know the correct procedure to sort the amp out guess the morrow of the story is learn english or leave someone else' amp alone.
Btw, my house originally didn't have groudning, so i had someone made a "ground" to the steel structure of my apartment. Is it a good idea? if it turns out to not work, what problem would i see with a ungrounded Ht5?
cheers
Last edited by RayL at Sep 10, 2011,
Ground is mostly for safety reasons. If the chassis goes live it blows the fuse. It will also reduce noise and interference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Ground is mostly for safety reasons. If the chassis goes live it blows the fuse. It will also reduce noise and interference.

would it hum?or every guitar and amp will hum under gainny situations? Im saying this cuz i have never played an amp which didn't hum slightly.... so i don't know what to expect under let's say a perfectly grounded situation
Doesn't the HT-5 disconnect the output transformer when you're using the emulated output⸮
Hum is usually indicative of filter capacitors being too small. That's a design issue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by smb
Doesn't the HT-5 disconnect the output transformer when you're using the emulated output⸮

IDK, cuz i have heard on that the newest edition of it allows you to have the Emulated output and speaker on a the same time if you have the stand by switch on. Doesn't that mean the transformer would b on?
Quote by Cathbard
Hum is usually indicative of filter capacitors being too small. That's a design issue.

I meant those kinda hums that goes away when u touch the strings. So far every amp i had played on, would at least made a slight pop when i touch any of the metal components
It depends. You sound like you are talking about interference. A common trick, that I do on all my amps, is to tie neutral to ground via a capacitor (like around .047uF) to shunt all the interference on the mains. There can be lots of noise on the mains from machinery and whatnot. A capacitor will shunt that noise away but present an open circuit to 50/60Hz. If they have done that (and a lot do, don't know about the HT-5) then a ground will quieten the amp down quite a bit. 100/120 Hz hum is the amp's power supply. Noise due to no ground will be more like static than hum.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It depends. You sound like you are talking about interference. A common trick, that I do on all my amps, is to tie neutral to ground via a capacitor (like around .047uF) to shunt all the interference on the mains. There can be lots of noise on the mains from machinery and whatnot. A capacitor will shunt that noise away but present an open circuit to 50/60Hz. If they have done that (and a lot do, don't know about the HT-5) then a ground will quieten the amp down quite a bit. 100/120 Hz hum is the amp's power supply. Noise due to no ground will be more like static than hum.

well so far i haven't tested any gear with my "D.I.Y" ground at home, so how would i know if it's my house or that the amp's transformer's been damaged?
btw thank u for taking so much time answering me
Test the socket with something else. Then plug your amp in, if the amp's fried it won't work. It will light up but no sound - or really bad sound. If you've screwed up your house earth it will blow the house fuses. Should you really be screwing with the mains sockets if you don't know anything about electronics? People die doing that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Test the socket with something else. Then plug your amp in, if the amp's fried it won't work. It will light up but no sound - or really bad sound. If you've screwed up your house earth it will blow the house fuses. Should you really be screwing with the mains sockets if you don't know anything about electronics? People die doing that.

dont worry i can't do anything to the socket anyway. I had the electrician just hooked a ground wire to the buildings steep pipes.
Oh ok. That should be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by RayL
IDK, cuz i have heard on that the newest edition of it allows you to have the Emulated output and speaker on a the same time if you have the stand by switch on. Doesn't that mean the transformer would b on?

Oh I dunno, I've got an older one.