Hi everyone,
I'd like to practice this technique. But before I get started I want to ask a few questions in order not to do it wrong.
I've seen many guitarists doing doing tremolo picking with their arm. Are they "lazy", or is it not possible to reach such a speed using the wrist ?
Also, is the picking position different when doing tremolo ?
And what are some good songs to practice this technique ?

Thanks in advance.
Tremolo picking is basically just fast picking and same rules apply. You shouldn't rely too much on your arm, but a lot of people find it easier to pick faster with their arms. If you practise picking fast with your wrist you can tremolo pick with your wrist. Ask Paul Gilbert or something.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
They do tremolo picking with their arm so they are available to play faster. That's the way to do it.
Quote by Metal-pro
They do tremolo picking with their arm so they are available to play faster. That's the way to do it.

No it's not, don't be a tit. All picking should come from the wrist, it allows for the finest of movement, and by extension the fastest (with practice) of playing with ease, because it is more economical.
Tremolo picking with the elbow is easier which is why so many amateurs (like myself) do it.

That being said i strongly advise to not pick with your elbow but instead your wrist. It's more economical and not to mention it wont cause you problems in the long run.
High speeds can be reached by 'locking' the elbow and kind of shaking - however, that's not the way I'd recommend to do it; it should be mostly if not all from the wrist. The reason being, you'll eventually develop tendonitis in your elbow if you use that kind of tension all the time.

I've been tremelo picking for a long time, and when I really started to focus on it, I used the 'tension' method. But this method wears you out quite quickly, and I was starting to notice pain in my elbow at times. (Some of the stuff I play requires trem picking for whole songs.) For the last 7 months or so I've been forcing myself to use all-wrist, and this has proven to be a much better method - I no longer get tired doing it, and there's no pain. Also, the speed is almost there.

As far as how you hold the pick, try to "choke-up" on the pick so that there's very little of the tip showing. This gives you more precise control and will allow you to make the small-motions necessary.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by GrStMyGn
No it's not, don't be a tit. All picking should come from the wrist, it allows for the finest of movement, and by extension the fastest (with practice) of playing with ease, because it is more economical.

Oh, economy picking! I was thinking about Sweep picking :P Don't know why.
But yes, use the wrist to play fast.
I've been there myself and really wouldn't recommend picking solely from the arm. It does let you play fast on a single string, but too much tension is involved and you don't really have much control over what you're playing. Accurate palm muting is pretty much out of the question for one thing. It will take longer to get fast when you're playing from the wrist (or at least predominantly from the wrist) but the end results are definitely worth it.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Keep relaxed and just work with a metronome and its from your wrist... not arm.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Oh look, it's this thread again... Hahaha

Everyone always argues: Wrist or arm.

I'll admit- I started tremolo picking with arm and quickly realized it was a very bad habit. As I've mentioned in other threads, you have much more momentum to deal with when violently shaking your arm as opposed to picking quickly with your wrist. You also fatigue much quicker when tremolo picking with your arm.

Another very important aspect to point out is that leaning the more ergonomic way to tremolo pick will help you learn how to play scales and arpeggios faster.

And also, INB4 "Flight of the Bumblebee."

Articulation is more important than speed.
Wrist, always wrist. Whenever you can, wrist.

Hand position should be the same as for everything else.
Quote by MattyPS
Hi everyone,
I'd like to practice this technique. But before I get started I want to ask a few questions in order not to do it wrong.
I've seen many guitarists doing doing tremolo picking with their arm. Are they "lazy", or is it not possible to reach such a speed using the wrist ?
Also, is the picking position different when doing tremolo ?
And what are some good songs to practice this technique ?

Thanks in advance.

Tremolo picking, aka speed picking, is mostly just shredding the same note multiple times. In my opinion, it's best if you palm mute the notes if you are using distortion. This is mostly used in soloing, classic guitars and many other techniques. And you might need to release the tension on your arms to speed pick on top speeds. There are many songs and tutorials you can find regarding speed picking online. Good luck!
Okay thanks for the replies everyone !
And QuantumMechanix you're totally right !