So if I'm looking for a professional sounding cabinet, what make/model of speakers should I be looking at for 7/8 string Metal?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
What type of amp and cab?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Bugera 6262 head right now, but it's the type of speakers I care most about, not who makes the cab.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
celestion vintage 30s is basically the standard for the genre.. celestion k100s have a lot of followers too.

If you're not professional already though they wont change that but they will sound good

Also who makes the cab can have a significant impact as well since the standard of construction varies. Like say for example you bought a harley benton 4x12 with vintage 30s. It'd sound alright but the mesa boogies, engls, orange etc will sound way better due to better construction, design etc even though they have the same speaker.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Sep 10, 2011,
I read a lot about Celestion V30s but I just wanted to make sure it's just not a load of fanboy bullshit.

EDIT: As for cab quality, I can get myself a Bugera 4x12 cab for free but I understand their own brand speakers are shit, is it worth my money to hook it up with Celestion V30s?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 10, 2011,
Possibly. Go used on the vintage 30s though since you'd be spending more then what the cab is worth new buying new on the speakers.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Possibly. Go used on the vintage 30s though since you'd be spending more then what the cab is worth new buying new on the speakers.

Sounds good to me.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
I read a lot about Celestion V30s but I just wanted to make sure it's just not a load of fanboy bullshit.

EDIT: As for cab quality, I can get myself a Bugera 4x12 cab for free but I understand their own brand speakers are shit, is it worth my money to hook it up with Celestion V30s?

V30s come stock in most metal/rock cabs. They have the following for a reason. Saying that, some people don't like their midrange...
Anyway get the cab if it's free. If you don't like how it sounds change the speakers, or sell it and use the combined budgets for a better cab
RIP Gooze

cats
One more question, didn't think it was worthy of a new thread:

Will it matter if I get 8 or 16 ohm Celestions? The Bugera cab seems to be able to handle both, mono 16ohms and stereo 8 ohms ... I'm pretty new to all this and I wouldn't want to buy the wrong thing.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
One more question, didn't think it was worthy of a new thread:

Will it matter if I get 8 or 16 ohm Celestions? The Bugera cab seems to be able to handle both, mono 16ohms and stereo 8 ohms ... I'm pretty new to all this and I wouldn't want to buy the wrong thing.

If your gonna swap them out get 16 ohm speakers, and only swap 1 speaker out at a time. This will ensure you are hooking them up correctly so the back pannel functions properly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't get V30...
They are good speakers but not for a 5150 type amp which is a mid-heavy amp...
The high mids are gonna make your ears bleed(in a bad way)
You can try celestion Greenbacks or the AMAZING Eminence legend GB128
Quote by blackie13
Don't get V30...
You can try celestion Greenbacks

I would rarely recommend greenbacks for metal. And "5150 type amps" are low mid heavy surely, not the high mids associated with the v30 mid spike.
Quote by Robbgnarly
If your gonna swap them out get 16 ohm speakers, and only swap 1 speaker out at a time. This will ensure you are hooking them up correctly so the back pannel functions properly.

Thanks buddy.

Quote by blackie13
Don't get V30...
You can try celestion Greenbacks or the AMAZING Eminence legend GB128

Well ... it's a Bugera amp with Bugera stock speakers, not a Peavey 5150 with whatever speakers they use, so there's quite a huge difference here.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
No worries. You may want to get 2 V30' and 2 K100/G12t75 and put them in an X pattern. It gives you a good solid mix of tones.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No worries. You may want to get 2 V30' and 2 K100/G12t75 and put them in an X pattern. It gives you a good solid mix of tones.

That sounds pretty crazy ... does that happen a lot? Mixing speakers?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
That sounds pretty crazy ... does that happen a lot? Mixing speakers?

Yeah it does. What happens is your pulling the best sound each type of speaker produce so doing the V30 X G12T75 will give you all the good things of the V30 and the G12T75, but they help hid eachothers faults. Like the G12T75 is a really scooped sound, while the V30 has a more pronounced midrange. Bogner makes the 4x12 Uber cab for the Uberschall head and it is this configuration.

I have a Krank Rev 4x12 loaded with 2 Eminence V12's and 2 WGS Veteran 30's and it sounds amazing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah it does. What happens is your pulling the best sound each type of speaker produce so doing the V30 X G12T75 will give you all the good things of the V30 and the G12T75, but they help hid eachothers faults. Like the G12T75 is a really scooped sound, while the V30 has a more pronounced midrange. Bogner makes the 4x12 Uber cab for the Uberschall head and it is this configuration.

I have a Krank Rev 4x12 loaded with 2 Eminence V12's and 2 WGS Veteran 30's and it sounds amazing.

Which speakers do you recommend I mix for some crazy 7/8 string heaviness?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
V30 and K100 will be a little darker than the V30 and G12T75 not alot, but a little. The G12T75 has more bite to it, the K100 is a little smoother speaker with less high end.

I dont think you can go wrong ether way honestly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've got a Wgs vet30 and ET-65 in a 212 cab.....they sound great!!
After some research it seems that Celestion G12 K100s aren't made 16 ohms anymore ... I assume that matters and you can't mix 16ohm speakers with 8 ohm speakers, so I'd have to buy 8 ohm V30s, right?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
Thanks buddy.

Well ... it's a Bugera amp with Bugera stock speakers, not a Peavey 5150 with whatever speakers they use, so there's quite a huge difference here.

Guess what...
I have a 6262 too...that's why I am proposing the GB's...
I HAD the v30 in a 2x12 cab...
And I play all sorts of metal(not hardcore though)

Have you ever listened a 6505-5150-6260/6505+-5150II-6262 (They are the same amps guys!!!not identical but very very close)with a 4x12 with greenback speakers?
If not you should...and I am proposing a higher wattage greenback...
After all I was sick and tired the 5150 type + V30...give emi's gb128 a chance...you'l thank me later...the crunch is just amazing...
Quote by La Qotsa

I changed my Bugera speakers for Celestion K100s........ They didn't sound that different!! My other band members say they can't tell the difference and we're not talking about novices either.

I've owned a Marshall 1960 with V30s some years ago. Sounded good, as do my K100s now but just don't knock the Bugeras........ It was an expensive way to find out how good they were!!
Quote by blackie13

Take into account that these are made from impulse responses and are not actually the cab & speaker for real - it's would be like comparing a POD's Dual Rectifier to a real one; although it does a good job of highlighting the differences.
Quote by Dilberto
Take into account that these are made from impulse responses and are not actually the cab & speaker for real - it's would be like comparing a POD's Dual Rectifier to a real one; although it does a good job of highlighting the differences.

fine...
check the other...
Quote by blackie13
fine...
check the other...

I was being a bit pedantic, sorry
The tone in the first amp of the first youtube link is the tone I'm going for, that's insane ... do want.

The last clip of the video is apparently a cab with greenbacks and I think it sounds disgusting ... too treble-y and bumble-bee-like, that's the tone I'm trying to get away from, I hear it everywhere.

I'm not sure I'm falling in love with the V30 samples in that video either.

The second video still isn't really the tone I'm going for either.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by blackie13
Guess what...
I have a 6262 too...that's why I am proposing the GB's...
I HAD the v30 in a 2x12 cab...
And I play all sorts of metal(not hardcore though)

Have you ever listened a 6505-5150-6260/6505+-5150II-6262 (They are the same amps guys!!!not identical but very very close)with a 4x12 with greenback speakers?
If not you should...and I am proposing a higher wattage greenback...
After all I was sick and tired the 5150 type + V30...give emi's gb128 a chance...you'l thank me later...the crunch is just amazing...

Greenbacks for metal is an odd choice to say the least. Not saying it wouldn't work, but it's not something I'd recommend as a first speaker change

muledit:
Quote by ProgFolk12

I would rarely recommend greenbacks for metal. And "5150 type amps" are low mid heavy surely, not the high mids associated with the v30 mid spike.

This
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Sep 11, 2011,
Like I was saying, I'm not liking the sounds of greenbacks in clips ... I'm beginning to wonder if I have the wrong cab, I really liked the sound in that Krank Krankenstein clip with the Eminence Texas Heats ... I assume putting those speakers into a Bugera cab will sound nothing like that?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
The tone in the first amp of the first youtube link is the tone I'm going for, that's insane ... do want.

The last clip of the video is apparently a cab with greenbacks and I think it sounds disgusting ... too treble-y and bumble-bee-like, that's the tone I'm trying to get away from, I hear it everywhere.

I'm not sure I'm falling in love with the V30 samples in that video either.

The second video still isn't really the tone I'm going for either.

As Dilberto said,the video is not made by original cabs...it's a computer program...
It's just a guide to see some of the differencies...
for example,the front loaded V30(Diezel cab) sound completely different from the rear loaded(mesa).
Even the same speakers sound very different through different cabs due to the construction...

The amp used was a soldano hot rod 50 that has SOME similarities to the 5150 series...
If you enjoyed the texas heats then give them a go...remember the cab construction is sometimes more important than the speakers,I learned that the hard way...
If you can help me out I could upload a cab comparison that produced andy sneap made using his 5150 and 3 different cabs with the same settings(V30-GT75-Greenback-V12).This comparison was the reason why i changed to greenbacks...

Just tell me a way to upload it...

Thanks guys and sorry for my english...
Last edited by blackie13 at Sep 12, 2011,
^That's cool
I actually liked the i5 better than the SM57 too
Would of loved to see an orange cab in there as well but still good comparison

What amp did you use?

Quote by La Qotsa
Like I was saying, I'm not liking the sounds of greenbacks in clips ... I'm beginning to wonder if I have the wrong cab, I really liked the sound in that Krank Krankenstein clip with the Eminence Texas Heats ... I assume putting those speakers into a Bugera cab will sound nothing like that?

Get texas heats
if you find that the cab construction is the problem, sell the cab
buy better cab
put your texas heats in new cab
?????
Profit
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by blackie13
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7385630/SpeakerComparison.rar

hope this works....
tell if it does...

Thanks buddy, that worked great.

Out of all the clips I definitely like the "Krank Cab Eminence" one which is V12s ... now I need to choose between those and Texas Heats I guess.

Quote by mulefish

Get texas heats
if you find that the cab construction is the problem, sell the cab
buy better cab
put your texas heats in new cab
?????
Profit

Sounds good to me, if Texas Heats are anything like what they are in that YouTube clip I'm gonna love them.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 12, 2011,
no love for the greenies?

the v12's are kinda like V30 without the mid-spike...

Beware...
Cabinet construction and front-back loading are important...

Anyway...good luck with your choise!
Last edited by blackie13 at Sep 12, 2011,
Am I able to change whether they are front or back loaded?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Argh, still not sure what speakers to swap to ... I really don't like speakers with lots of high end bumblebee-ness.

Has anybody here got cab with Eminence Texas Heats in it? I'd like to hear some hi gain metal clips if possible. If listened to other "real" clips of them and I like the fact there's not much highs but they almost come across too muffled, I'd like a little less muffled than they seem to be ... could that be fixed with eqing?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 12, 2011,