Hi all!

I've come up with this riff which I think sounds quite good:

A|-------------3---------|
E|--0--3--5-----5--3--|

Once I play it three or four times through, though, it gets too repetitive. I don't know much theory, so I don't know what key it's it or the chord it's based around. Can someone please suggest a variation (like Led Zeppelin do with Moby Dick, Heartbreaker and more) where it changes key or the notes are slightly altered? Thanks.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
If you´d want it similar to Moby Dick and Heartbreaker you could move the riff to another root note. Moby Dick is the same riffidea moved through a Blues chord progression.

Anyway, you could try to move it to like the root A. (the 4th chord)

D|-------------3---------|
A|--0--3--5-----5--3--|
You're writing a riff. In this context, forget theory and play what sounds good, then introduce theory to work out what key your finished riff is in. It may not fit perfectly into one key, this is normal.
If you want to learn about what key changes sound good together, read up on the circle of fifths, although to be fair you don't play one riff then change the key for a new riff, it's better usually to play a slightly different riff in the same key, stops the song sounding too all-over-the-place.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by WarriorArtist94
You're writing a riff. In this context, forget theory and play what sounds good, then introduce theory to work out what key your finished riff is in. It may not fit perfectly into one key, this is normal.

Oh, OK. Thanks. I came up with a variation but wasn't sure about whether theory mattered for it.

Quote by Pettah
If you´d want it similar to Moby Dick and Heartbreaker you could move the riff to another root note. Moby Dick is the same riffidea moved through a Blues chord progression.

Anyway, you could try to move it to like the root A. (the 4th chord)

D|-------------3---------|
A|--0--3--5-----5--3--|

Cheers - I'd imagined something similar to that.
Quote by WarriorArtist94
If you want to learn about what key changes sound good together, read up on the circle of fifths, although to be fair you don't play one riff then change the key for a new riff, it's better usually to play a slightly different riff in the same key, stops the song sounding too all-over-the-place.

He doesn't even know what a power chord is... He likely doesn't know what the third fret on the E string is. He needs to learn the basics, telling him to ignore theory is pretty dumb.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

I would just play the same riff with a different root. So, if it starts in Em, I would play everything a minor third above. You would get a different sound while keeping the same riff thing.
Quote by iancmtaylor
He doesn't even know what a power chord is... He likely doesn't know what the third fret on the E string is. He needs to learn the basics, telling him to ignore theory is pretty dumb.

I do know, actually. G5.
Ok, don't mean to put words you your mouth :P It just seemed like you didn't when you said you didn't know the chords. Do you know your triads?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by GuitarTom1995
I do know, actually. G5.

^ I guess you jnow what an octave is then? You could try displacing the riff by an octave (same notes, but higher pitch).

---------
-----------
-----2-5-2
-2-5-------5
-----------
---------

Or displace just one note by an octave in the riff. Here I've chosen to displace the first note by an octave.

---------
-----------
-2--------
---3-5--5-3---
Last edited by mdc at Sep 10, 2011,
I went all crazy improving with the 3/5/6 on the A string, sounds tasty.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by GuitarTom1995
Thanks mdc - I knew about octaves but not how to actually transpose the notes.

Np dude. Here it is again another octave higher. If there were 3 guitarist, or 2 guitarists and a bassist, you could have a 3-part harmony going down!

-----5-8-5
-5-8------8
----------
---------
--------
---------
If you have you have 2 guitarists, try harmonizing in thirds.

One you play the original riff, then the other play the riff a third higher.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by iancmtaylor

You've ignored the part of my post where I tell him to use theory later in the writing process to make me look stupid. I'm not stupid. At the end of the day, theory is important when working out keys, but far as writing riffs goes one should never be pinned down by theory. When I first started writing I used to throw away good riffs cause they weren't in key.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
I'm not even going to say anything other than stop being cranky, realize we're all here for the same reason, and go on a walk or something.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by WarriorArtist94
You've ignored the part of my post where I tell him to use theory later in the writing process to make me look stupid. I'm not stupid. At the end of the day, theory is important when working out keys, but far as writing riffs goes one should never be pinned down by theory. When I first started writing I used to throw away good riffs cause they weren't in key.

since when is not being in key being "pinned down by theory"?

you're pinned down by staying in key, not by theory.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Sep 11, 2011,