Play a couple of random chords after each other.

If you want to get a nice sounding chord progression just play chords that sound nice after each other.

If you want to know WHY some chords sound nice after each other, you should learn about key, resolution, building tension, scales etc.
Quote by deHufter

If you want to get a nice sounding chord progression just play chords that sound nice after each other.

If you want to know WHY some chords sound nice after each other, you should learn about key, resolution, building tension, scales etc.

This. To add to that, www.musictheory.net will help but you have to nail each lesson before moving on to the next, otherwise it'll be confusing.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by deHufter

lol, nice combo of trollage and guidance.

www.musictheory.net/lessons/23

You might have to start on an earlier lesson than this, but this is the first part of the direct answer to your question.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by Nottachance
How do you make a chord progression?

Learn what they are. Learn to hear them in music. the links above will lead you in the right direction. I would also highly recommend lessons (or a class) and a theory book.

Don't make them until you've done this. Or if you don't understand them......

you can still get familiar with the sounds with enough experience playing and memorizing songs. If you have that kind of experience, just listen and choose chords that sound appropriate for what you're expressing. They'll likely be the same or similar to the ones you'd have learned about in a theory book, you just won't have the fancy words to attach to them.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 10, 2011,
I already know scales and theory and keys and all that stuff and even looked at musictheory.net. But, I have trouble finding nice progressions. Is there a chart anybody knows of that shows what chord leads to another? I'm currently working on Hungarian Minor (1 2 3b 4# 5 6b 7 1) how do I find a chord progression that works well and really makes a Hungarian Minor feel?
Quote by Nottachance
I already know scales and theory and keys and all that stuff and even looked at musictheory.net. But, I have trouble finding nice progressions. Is there a chart anybody knows of that shows what chord leads to another? I'm currently working on Hungarian Minor (1 2 3b 4# 5 6b 7 1) how do I find a chord progression that works well and really makes a Hungarian Minor feel?

Listen to Focus, and in particular the dutch guitarist Jan Akkerman. He uses that scale.... A LOT.
Quote by Nottachance
I already know scales and theory and keys and all that stuff

No, unfortunately, you don't. That's like claiming to know the alphabet and asking how to draw the letter M. Re-examine what you say you know - I have a feeling that one on one it would take 5 seconds to find enough holes in your "knowledge" to drain spaghetti.

Not trying to be mean, but I am being direct. You're as lost as they come. Start over at learning, understanding and being able to apply the basics of music.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
it would take 5 seconds to find enough holes in your "knowledge" to drain spaghetti.

Best,

Sean

Great
Play around with a few chords and put them into a sequence.

If you're stuck on creating one, work out them chords in a key and then play around with those. Tonic and dominant is a good starting point.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!