Okay so mainly I use my ESP LTD Floyd rose for playing a lot. I need locking tuners. Well usually I have one or two volume pedals so I haven't worried about it, but my volume doesn't seem to really control the volume.

I understand to a degree, when you turn it down, you lose some distortion. But mine is like 100% knob level with full distortion, I turn it down to like 2%, it's still the same dB level and still the same distortion, but when it hits 1%, it gets quieter.

Am I missing something. My tone works correctly. But the volume doesn't actually turn down (or get cleaner) until right at turning off.

Thanks
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I bought it new, so It shouldn't be modded with a lower one. But adding a high pot would make the volume change better?
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
It could. Or it could just be a cheap/bad pot. Not all pots taper as well as others.
Hi, I'm Peter
It is Cheap pots they use.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Are they active pickups, and if so have you tried replacing the battery? Different actives do different things when they have bad batteries.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
It's the taper. There are two kinds of pot tapers, linear and logarithmic. Logarithmic is also called audio taper to make life easier.

Audio taper pots are designed to reduce the output in a way the human ear expects. 10 on the pot is 100% of the volume and 0 is obviously 0% but 5 is more like 20% output. Most of the output is dropped out within the top few numbers of the control. This way when playing through a totally clean amp when you put the volume at half the volume of your playing will sound about half of what it does when you have the volume control full. This is good for controlling clean volume and for dipping out your sound quickly which is useful live but it's not good for bedroom playing and for controlling your level of distortion.

Linear pots reduce the volume in a completely steady and even rate. So 10 is 100% output, 7 is 70% output, 5 is 50% output, 2 is 20% output and 0 is dead silent. This might seem like a more useful control but the human ear doesn't hear volume drops evenly like that so what you'll hear is the volume staying pretty much the same for most of the range then suddenly dropping off around 2. It does have some use however. Because the output is reduced evenly you have much more accurate control over your pickup output. So when using linear pots you don't have a volume control really, more like a distortion control. Setting the control to 5 means you get half the usual output and that's good for cleaning up your tone, whiel the overall volume will sound roughly the same. If you use stupid amounts of gain then you won't be able to clean up so well but for regular gain it works nicely. This sort of control is less useful for most live players but is preferred for bedroom playing and studio players.

If you only ever use one kind of pot you'll probably never notice these odd curves but if you're used to playing with audio taper pots and then suddenly someone hands you a linear pot you'll notice very quickly that the taper seems weird and that the volume only changes at one end of the pot. Same if you're used to linear and suddenly you use an audio taper pot.

I believe ESP use linear taper pots for their guitars with EMG pickups and audio taper for the ones with passive pickups.

What you need to do is either set your rig up differently to take advantage of the new pot taper or you need to work out which kind of pot it is you're used to and switch the volume control for that. So if you're used to audio taper and this guitar has a linear pot, swap in an audio taper one. Or the other way around. Remeber that different brands of pot have different tapers and feels too. CTS pots tend to be very stiff, Alpha tend to be very loose and Bourns are in between.