Poll Options
View poll results: Which One?
Skiing
27 38%
Snowboarding
45 63%
Voters: 72.
Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone, so Winter is coming up and I don't really want to play hockey in a league anymore, but my Mom wants me to do something active. My brother wants me to snowboard (because he does) and I think skiing would be fun. I have went skiing a few times and I did pretty well because of my hockey experience. I have only went snowboarding once. What do you think is more fun? or which one should I do?

Thanks, Adam
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
I've never been snowboarding, but I've done some skiing. Snowboarding seems harder to learn initially (most snowboarders I've seen spend most of their time on their asses), but skiing is harder to master.
Hi, I'm Peter
I do neither, but if I were to choose between those two, I'd choose a snowboard, it just seems so much cooler and better. And you don't have to carry those walking sticks.
I'd choose hockey, then I'd pick snowboarding. Screw the skis. C'mon man, you can even jump out of planes and helicopters onto mountains with snow boards.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Where is the tubing/sledding option?
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
i've been snowboarding for years. i've also tried skiing a few times. i cant ski to save my life. from everything i've noticed from people learning the two, its harder to learn to snowboard, but its easier to get to a point where you seem like you're good. skiing is easier to pick up initially, but its harder to get really good at it. that being said, if you're planning on doing any freestyle skiing, its a hell of a lot easier than on a snowboard because if you land slightly off axis, your boots prevent you from toppling over, and you can have a wider stance just by spreading your feet.
Crazy Carpets.

/thread.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Snowboarding...

Been doing it over 10 years, doesn't get any better.

There are many skiiers that try snowboarding then never go back,
there was some guy that owns a ski company or something and he
gave up skiing for snowboarding ha. yeah kinda vague but take my word for it lol

Sources:

Snowbum for 13 years
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
Never done either, because the weather here sucks, and it costs a lot of money to go to the Hermon and do it.
Skiing is clearly superior.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Skiing is fun as shit, never been snowboarding.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
I started skiing at age 3 and continued to ski until about age 13. I then learnt to snowboard and have been snowboarding ever since. I much prefer snowboarding and highly recommend learning it. But I beg you on my knees: don't become a snowboarding douche that only buys Burton gear and wears hipster sunglasses. Similar to this:

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Depends on what you're doing and how fast you wanna be able to do everything.

If you wanna do park, I'd recommend snowboarding, because skiing park is way harder.
If you're doing back country and lots of hiking/cliffs ski, because you can pop skins on and cruise up shit easily, and when you're dropping 20ft+ cliffs its much easier to land on skis.
If you're just gonna cruise around the mountain and not really do anything extreme, I'd recommend skiing because it's way easier to learn initially than snowboarding. Also most snowboarders can't do moguls, so if you like riding bumps but dont wanna take a long time to learn it you otta ski.

Quote by Vypor
I'd choose hockey, then I'd pick snowboarding. Screw the skis. C'mon man, you can even jump out of planes and helicopters onto mountains with snow boards.

you can jump outta planes on skis... Tbh you can do a hell of a lot more stuff on skis.
Quote by Zeletros
I do neither, but if I were to choose between those two, I'd choose a snowboard, it just seems so much cooler and better. And you don't have to carry those walking sticks.
Poles are the best part about skiing, it always ****ing sucks when you get stuck on some flat spot when you're snowboarding. I would carry pole with me when i snowboard if it didn't make me look like a total fag.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Last edited by vanhailin at Sep 10, 2011,
Considering everyone here is br00tal, they probably snowboard.

I ski.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by vanhailin
Depends on what you're doing and how fast you wanna be able to do everything.

If you wanna do park, I'd recommend snowboarding, because skiing park is way harder.
If you're doing back country and lots of hiking/cliffs ski, because you can pop skins on and cruise up shit easily, and when you're dropping 20ft+ cliffs its much easier to land on skis.

Actually back country is way easier on a snowboarding since you can be a beginner snowboarder and still handle powder quite well. Of course it's pretty equal once you get to the expert stuff but just riding powder is way easier on a snowboard.
And I feel the 20ft+ landing is pretty equal on skis or on a snowboard.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by That_Hot_Guy
Considering everyone here is br00tal, they probably snowboard.

I ski.

Oh who am I kidding, a huge amount of snowboarders are douchebags

EDIT:
I apologize for the double-post.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
James Bond skis, therefore skiing is cooler.

Flawless argument.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Ski.
If you want to check out some badass ski movies to get yourself in the mood, watch pretty much any movie made by Matchstick Productions. Those movies prove that skiing is not comprised entirely of losers in 80's fluro jumpsuits.
Snowboarding is pretty dope, I just can't stand the douchey boarders who bag skiing all the time. You don't often find a skier who will bag boarding for no reason at all, most skiers apprectiate both forms. Well, in my experience anyway.
Quote by Random88
James Bond skis, therefore skiing is cooler.

Flawless argument.

I snowboard therefore snowboarding is...
never mind.

Quote by Borsworth
Ski.
If you want to check out some badass ski movies to get yourself in the mood, watch pretty much any movie made by Matchstick Productions. Those movies prove that skiing is not comprised entirely of losers in 80's fluro jumpsuits.
Snowboarding is pretty dope, I just can't stand the douchey boarders who bag skiing all the time. You don't often find a skier who will bag boarding for no reason at all, most skiers apprectiate both forms. Well, in my experience anyway.

I feel you, brah. The douches are many among us. But I've had my fair share of hate towards snowboarders. However it mostly comes from idiots who think that doing the kamikaze down the slope without turning at all = skillful skiing.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Sep 10, 2011,
start a black metal band.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Actually back country is way easier on a snowboarding since you can be a beginner snowboarder and still handle powder quite well. Of course it's pretty equal once you get to the expert stuff but just riding powder is way easier on a snowboard.
And I feel the 20ft+ landing is pretty equal on skis or on a snowboard.

I do both. skiing is easier in back country.

and no. when your dropping that height on skis you can pretty much sit down when you land and get back up, where as on a snowboard you fall 20 feet and you cant sit because you'll fall on your ass or back and won't get up easily/quickly.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by Vandals572
skiing is infinitely cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhHBr7bjyVA

nothing a snowboarder does will ever look that good. skip to 1:15 if you are impatient

I see your 1:15 and raise you this whole video.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I see your 1:15 and raise you this whole video.

This. So much of this.

I never understood why skiers and snowboarders always argue about what's better. They're both really fun, difficult, and badass.

Snowboarding just makes you look cooler...
A number of years ago, I went snowboarding in Italy. Pila, to be exact.

Linky

It was amazing, there may have been loads of people, but it was a week away from New Years eve, all the Italians were getting their ski on, before the brits came and took over again.

I'd love to go back, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Skiing is so much easier to learn. You really do spend your first day snowboarding on your ass. They're both fun once you get the hang of it. I prefer snowboarding, though. (Even if I suck at it, haha.) I'd say try 'em both out and see which you like best.
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
Skiing is so much easier to learn. You really do spend your first day snowboarding on your ass. They're both fun once you get the hang of it. I prefer snowboarding, though. (Even if I suck at it, haha.) I'd say try 'em both out and see which you like best.

Although, snowboarding looks infinitely cooler than skiing.

>_>
Quote by bloodtrocuted93

I don't know where people are getting this from. When I started to snowboard I was able to ride satisfactory after 1 - 2 hours. By satisfactory I mean 3 - 5 falls per decent.
Another good example is my friend and schoolmate. We were on a winter sport's week in Forni Di Sopra, Italy and since there were fairly few snowboarders in our year beginners and experienced riders were put together. My friend had absolutely no experience with snowboarding or skiing and he was able to ride with us after a couple of hours. Most of the beginner snowboarders we're allowed to ride by themselves after the first day where as all of the beginner skiers were not allowed to ski by themselves even by the end of the week.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by dweb23
"guitarists shouldn't ski" - John Petrucci

""guitarists shouldn't ski" - John Petrucci" - Charles Manson

Don't listen to Manson. He's a bad guy.

But seriously, do whatever feels good. I went from hockey to snowboarding, but I also had a bit of experience skateboarding, so it was more natural for me. I do both now, but I have a lot more fun snowboarding. If you don't want a broken wrist or even worse, a soaked ass, on your first day, I would give skiing a try. But you already know that because lots of other users posted the same advice above me.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I started skiing at age 3 and continued to ski until about age 13. I then learnt to snowboard and have been snowboarding ever since. I much prefer snowboarding and highly recommend learning it. But I beg you on my knees: don't become a snowboarding douche that only buys Burton gear and wears hipster sunglasses. Similar to this:

haha don't worry I won't do that
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
Quote by SecondCivilWar
""guitarists shouldn't ski" - John Petrucci" - Charles Manson

Don't listen to Manson. He's a bad guy.

But seriously, do whatever feels good. I went from hockey to snowboarding, but I also had a bit of experience skateboarding, so it was more natural for me. I do both now, but I have a lot more fun snowboarding. If you don't want a broken wrist or even worse, a soaked ass, on your first day, I would give skiing a try. But you already know that because lots of other users posted the same advice above me.

ahh yes, I forgot to mention that I did skateboard quite a bit, no so much anymore but I still can do some stuff
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
Page 1 of 2