Hey all!

So I'm looking for a good P.A set up for my band to play live. Our local venues typically have a good set up for bands to play through, but as we start our foray into house shows and DIY shows I realized that we'll be needing a P.A to throw our vocals through. Just vocals, we will not be running amplifiers or drums through this. We'll be sharing this equipment with whichever local bands play with us as well.

Right now this is the equipment that we have been using for practice and gigs. Please note: I'm not interested in replacing any piece of gear in either rig of me or my guitar player.

Guitar amp: Ampeg SS140c head, and a nameless 4x12 (We're working on replacing that). I believe at the moment my guitar player is pushing out 70 watts from this thing, and he drives it to the edge usually.
Bass amp: Markbass Tube 800 and an SWR 4x12.

The P.A must be loud enough to be heard over these, and a fairly heavy hitting drummer.

I've been looking at a few of the Carvin P.A packages, and I know Carvin's guitars basses are incredibly well respected, plus buying direct from the manufacturer allows for a better deal than buying from guitar center.

Carvin XP800L-1502

Carvin XP1000L-PM15

I am open to suggestions, I am willing to go used (in fact it would be preferred), my budget is from $600 to $800 dollars or so, can stretch to $1000, but we're a local band, we just need something strong enough for vocals that will last for a few years.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I'm no expert here, but it looks like the second system should be able to handle anything you guys would throw at it. The extra flexibility the second system gives is well worth the price difference IMHO.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 10, 2011,
Ether will work fine. But even if you don't mic any instuments, you really need to mic the bass drum. Trust me it will make a world of diffrence.
Carvin makes some really nice power-amps, so I'm sure the powered mixers are diecent.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
We use behringer b215d powered speakers for mains and a b212d for a monitor. That's 1,100 watts for mains and then we connect a little 8 channel mixer to it. We run vox, drums, amps, violin, bass. Etc. And it works great!
Quote by tylerjenns
We use behringer b215d powered speakers for mains and a b212d for a monitor. That's 1,100 watts for mains and then we connect a little 8 channel mixer to it. We run vox, drums, amps, violin, bass. Etc. And it works great!

I've got some Behringer kit, too. Had a minor problem with my keyboard amp--it started making popping noises after I plugged something into the RCA inputs. I resoldered them, and that fixed the popping problem, but now the effects don't work. The problem hit right before the 3 yr extended warranty ran out, so they did replace it.

I still think it's a better value than its Roland competition, but if I were gigging with it seriously, I'd look into something like Genz Benz.

I've also had a small mixer for about 4 months--no problems with it, but it's pretty disposable so I don't care much if anything does go wrong with it.

Behringer makes some really cool gear, with great features for the price, but I'd baby it.
Just stay away from Behringer mixers with slider faders. They get full of crud and stop working in short order. I have a Behringer 1RU line mixer for my keyboards and it's fine because it uses rotary pots.
The Carvin stuff is fine. You want at least 8 channels on any PA. You may not think you need that many but trust me you need at least that many. It's amazing how fast you run out of channels.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification