Ok so I do my own recordings of my own music, and I do mainly metal stuff. In one of my songs, I want to add group vocals but I'm not sure what the best method of recording the group vocals would be. Any advice?
Depends what you mean by "group vocals"

If you mean gang vocals the best thing to do is have a central mic and get people to stand around it at different differences. Repeat as many times as you need to make it sound like a crowd.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
What I like to do is have people stand around a mic in a nice reflective room and do 3 takes - Left, right and center. Then i print them all to one stereo track to save space and cpu and apply reverb to taste.
Just did some gang vocals last week for my band's new album, and what we did was place a condenser mic (Rode NT-1A) in the room the singer had been singing in earlier, and propped the door open - we then stood about 10-15ft down the corridor from the mic and shouted/chanted/whatever-you-wanna-call-it the lines. There were three of us there at the time, and we did four takes of each bit, which I've panned two about 65-70%% L and R and another two a bit quieter in the mix, panned more centrally.

One thing I will mention is that if you have the main vocalist singing the line too, as we did, it's a good idea to also have him in the gang vocals 'crowd' to make sure there is at least some cohesiveness between the tracks - really helps them gel better.

Then it's just a case of getting the balance between main vox and the gang vox, and getting a good reverb on there to add to the feeling of size and space. - alternatively, recording in a nice-sounding room with an echo. We esperimented with having the door to the bathroom behind us open, to allow some echo to swell up and slapback to the mic after our voices, but in the end just went for a slightly drier sound to tinker with in post-prod.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Just did some gang vocals last week for my band's new album, and what we did was place a condenser mic (Rode NT-1A) in the room the singer had been singing in earlier, and propped the door open - we then stood about 10-15ft down the corridor from the mic and shouted/chanted/whatever-you-wanna-call-it the lines. There were three of us there at the time, and we did four takes of each bit, which I've panned two about 65-70%% L and R and another two a bit quieter in the mix, panned more centrally.

One thing I will mention is that if you have the main vocalist singing the line too, as we did, it's a good idea to also have him in the gang vocals 'crowd' to make sure there is at least some cohesiveness between the tracks - really helps them gel better.

Then it's just a case of getting the balance between main vox and the gang vox, and getting a good reverb on there to add to the feeling of size and space. - alternatively, recording in a nice-sounding room with an echo. We esperimented with having the door to the bathroom behind us open, to allow some echo to swell up and slapback to the mic after our voices, but in the end just went for a slightly drier sound to tinker with in post-prod.

I have used this exact same technique and it worked great.
Quote by FireHawk
I have used this exact same technique and it worked great.

I also forgot to mention to TS; if you're trying to get the gang vocal effect on your own it just won't work (unless you happen to be very good at impressions/vocal imitation, though I can't see that working very successfully if I'm honest lol). The effect is created because everyone's voice is different and all the different voices together with different timings and stresses on syllables all combine to tell your ears there are lots of voices. I'd say a minimum of 3-4 people, tracked a good few times, is what it takes to fool the ear into thinking it is hearing a lot more voices... then it's down to how the tracks are blended in, that give the sense of depth.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thank you very much guys, ill keep ya posted and let ya know if I run into any problems with this