Poll: What percentage of your friendships do you find superficial/lacking in depth?
Poll Options
View poll results: What percentage of your friendships do you find superficial/lacking in depth?
0 - 10%
14 9%
10 - 20%
14 9%
20 - 30%
13 8%
30 - 40%
12 8%
40 - 50%
9 6%
50 - 60%
13 8%
60 - 70%
20 13%
70 - 80%
18 11%
80 - 90%
22 14%
90 - 100%
25 16%
Voters: 160.
Hello Pit, I want to poke at your noodles this morning ( still morning for me, so it must be morning for everyone, right? ) with an uncomfortable question. Think about the question, make a poll choice appropriately. The question:

"What percentage of your friendships (people you're friends with on a daily/weekly/monthly basis) do you find superficial/lacking depth?"

But take that wording as a general guideline, not a concrete question. I'm kind of interested to see the response curve - am sure others would be too. The motivation from this question comes from the whole movement of social interaction to the online realm and people getting out less, etc.

Discuss.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Sep 10, 2011,
The ones that are 'lacking depth', are often so because they lack truth. They aren't authentic, in which case they never come close enough for me to befriend them.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I dunno, I tend to call those "acquaintances" rather than friends.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Quote by Zeropathic
I dunno, I tend to call those "acquaintances" rather than friends.

Acquaintance or friend, people you interact with on a daily basis affect your life. You don't have to have a meaningful, long-lasting friendship with someone you hang out with every day for a year - you still hang out with them all the time though. Superficial/lacking in depth by choice, consequence, or unintended consequence.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Acquaintance or friend, people you interact with on a daily basis affect your life. You don't have to have a meaningful, long-lasting friendship with someone you hang out with every day for a year - you still hang out with them all the time though. Superficial/lacking in depth by choice, consequence, or unintended consequence.

About ninety percent, then, I guess.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Quote by darkstar2466

My co-workers are not my friends. I am friendly with all of them and we occasionally do stuff after work as a group. But my answer is that 95% of the time the people I'm seeing every day are people I wouldn't give a second thought to if they got a new job or otherwise left. I don't want to sound shallow but for the most part other than maintaining a good working relationship I really don't care about them.
My friends on the other hand are a small group of people that I have known for the most part over 30 years. We rarely see each other in person. We talk at least weekly though. And every one of them I would die for.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Most of the friends I've had were people I tolerated. I never confided in them or had any meaningful conversations. Come to think about it, that applies to every real life friend I've ever had.
I'd say 50-60% but only because I end up caring too much for people and trusting them too much. If this includes how much other people care for me it's more like 90%. But I think I've had meaningful conversations with most of the people I consider my friends. Just something that connected us more.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Like 99 percent, I'm not best buddies with every cunt I talk to

You lurked my profile, does that mean that I'm a cunt-in-waiting?
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Like 99 percent, I'm not best buddies with every cunt I talk to

Yer doin' her wrong.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Easily 90-100%. I don't have best friends and I don't trust anyone with anything. I find this to be more comfortable.
pinga
Quote by PaulyVengeance
You lurked my profile, does that mean that I'm a cunt-in-waiting?

Well it wasn't very interesting, so I don't think I'll be visiting it on a regular basis

...nah, I'm just messing with you

I don't actually recall visiting your profile

Quote by Jackal58
Yer doin' her wrong.

I don't mean literal cunts, I mean cunts in the metaphorical sense. I'm just philosophical like that.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Sep 10, 2011,
90-100

I can think of two people that I am close enough with to consider them "true friends". I enjoy the company of all my friends, and like spending time with them. But that's as far as the relationship with them goes, and I'm happy with that. Those two people are individuals that I have a deeper connection with and are probably the only people I have come to know through school that I will stay in regular contact with for the rest of my life. Everyone else can move off to their degrees and careers and I wish them well, but I'm not heartbroken to see them go.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
90 percent of the time I eventually find the inevitable fatal flaw and end it.

10 percent of the time I don't care. Until it's too late.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Well it wasn't very interesting, so I don't think I'll be visiting it on a regular basis

...nah, I'm just messing with you

I don't actually recall visiting your profile

I don't mean literal cunts, I mean cunts in the metaphorical sense. I'm just philosophical like that.

Bitch.
I don't even get into deep conversations about my life with my best friend. I'd take a bullet for him though, he's been my best buddy since I was like 2. I'll listen and give advice if someone wants to talk to me about something important, which happens fairly often, but that's not my style. I keep everything bottled up, which is the healthy thing to do damn it.

so, like, 100%?
80-90%

I don't like to talk deep shit with most people, only about 1 or 2 people I can really 'talk' to.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
About 99%.

It doesn't help that I'm a loner, but yeah. I'm too shy to really confide in a lot of my friends.
Tough question. Got a lot of friends, like them a lot, but I don't open up to anyone really. Not my family either. I'm a very closed person, but I still hold my friends in high regard.

All but 2, and ones not even an IRL friend. I only have one real friend I share anything personal with (well, had it seems at this point...). Everyone is that surface thing where you're friends and just do shit all the time and there's no real serious things said or brought up about oneselves.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Hmm.

I really only have one friend that I have a deep or real friendship with.

He's kind of a tard
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by katalyzt13
for the most part I avoid 2D people.

Not that hard though, 99.9999999999% of the time they wouldn't even know you exist

Also i know quite a few are, but i have much more that are actual friends.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Not very many, to be honest. Everyone is vain or superficial to some degree. But there's much more to most people than that.
Quote by The Madcap
Not very many, to be honest. Everyone is vain or superficial to some degree. But there's much more to most people than that.

I find it ridiculously hard to break down the wall to getting to that side of people though, unless it's someone you've grown up with forever.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
I have a small group of good friends, but only a few people I could genuinely say were my 'friends'; people who know 'me' and I really love being around. Most people are a blend of friends and acquaintances with me.