If it is, we're all losing.

I think if you write music to show other people up, you're doing it for all the wrong reasons and some way or another, it will show up in your music.
If it is Beethoven already won it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Yes, without a doubt. Just look at all the award shows and battle of the bands. Definitely not for everyone, but I'd say most. Easily.
first of all there was a thread exactly like this a week ago. second, music is an art, not a sport. nuff said
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Picklelerner
Yes, without a doubt. Just look at all the award shows and battle of the bands. Definitely not for everyone, but I'd say most. Easily.

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Picklelerner

I'd say those are music competitions, but not all music is a competition. Just like there's art contests, but not all art is a contest.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I understand what you're saying, but you phrased it badly.

No, it's not.
People are just assholes who tend to think they are better than others for liking the right bands, and then looking donw on people who like different music.
Completely missing the point that music is subjective.
Only the people that listen to it are competitive. But this is a strange question. And Yes, they are. No band wants to be 'average', they want to be the best.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Last edited by MidniteHaze at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by MidniteHaze
Only the people that listen to it are competitive. But this is a strange question.

And if they start pulling ahead, you could always chuck guitar cables at them!

That'll slow them down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HfZGBjdFf0&feature=related

I found that after searching for less than a minute, and I bet there are tonnes more.

What I mean is people comparing people to other people, arguing who's better, ect. If you go to a video of any famous guitarist, I bet you 110% that there will be people arguing about who's better. Stuff like that.

If music isn't a competition then why do people treat it as such?
Quote by The Spoon
If it is, we're all losing.

I think if you write music to show other people up, you're doing it for all the wrong reasons and some way or another, it will show up in your music.

This.
...Except for Megadeth. Dave Mustaine started writing Megadeth's music with the sole intention of destroying Metallica. Yet, I think we can all agree that Peace Sells, So Far So Good, Rust in Peace etc. are excellent pieces of music.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by PaulyVengeance
And if they start pulling ahead, you could always chuck guitar cables at them!

That'll slow them down.

haha

tv makes music into a competition yes. and i think it's rediculous. giving prices to people that play 0.1% of the world's music genres (the 0.1% crappiest of all for f***'s sake) and completely ignoring all the rest.

music is an open thing. it cant be compared to other music and especially not when you count in all people have a different music taste.

thats my opinion
poll would be nice
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i think its only a competition in the listeners mind. those with the most listeners are most successful right? if you want to be most successful, you need the most listeners right? or maybe you only play for fun.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
No, music is not a competition.

HOWEVER, You can HAVE competotions with playing, like those "enter your solo over ___ backing track and the best one gets a prize"
Or who can play faster competitions seeing as speed is the only way someone can actually measure a skill.

Can't measure emotion, or "feel", but you CAN measure how many notes per second you can play, obviously not saying speed is everything.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
If it is Beethoven already won it.

but Bach beat Beethoven before Beethoven began.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Popular music is.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Tha biz is competitive, and in some genres there's an element or mindset of competition, like shred or some jazz.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by BlindNematode
This.
...Except for Megadeth. Dave Mustaine started writing Megadeth's music with the sole intention of destroying Metallica. Yet, I think we can all agree that Peace Sells, So Far So Good, Rust in Peace etc. are excellent pieces of music.

even if his intentions were competitive, the music itself is art, and can not be objectively compared to that of metallica, or any music for that matter. at least that's the way i think about it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
lol I tried to make a thread like this in the pit a couple weeks ago, didnt go to well, no surprise considering all most of you do is just post demotivational/photoshopped pictures of nothing. Also can't wait til someone quotes me with one of those hilarious pictures of *insert random meme*
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god