Hey guys I am really into the Misfits, especially the later stuff, and I'd like to know how to best get that nice tone. I have an Esp Eclipse and a Spider 3. I am aware of that they possibly used multiple tracks on the records and that he built his guitar himself. My guess is that they have the distortion high with treble around 3 o'clock. Any help would be rad, and I'm sorry if I have misposted around 3 o'clock. Any help would be rad, and I'm sorry if I have misposted.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I love the misfits, but jesus christ their tone is bad. You already have a Spider III so there's a start. Just put it on the insane channel, up the treb, scoop the mids and add a touch of bass and crank the gain.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
they had plenty of mids though, and they re not that gainy. do treb7, mid5, bass5, gain5ish, and go from there.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
I'm not sure what they used but it sounds very much like a Marshall JCM800 on Earth AD. Good luck trying to get that on a Spider 3.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Seriously? I think it's really chunky sounding, Imho. How about pickup wise? Neck, bridge, both??
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

your chain should be something like: guitar>potato
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Haha, Sometime in the future I hope to step it up to a 6505+.....
Quote by luxeion

hahaha. but in all seriousness i was going to say its most likely a marshall so cath beat me to it.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Being 16, It'll be a while until I get my hands on one of those )
Quote by luxeion

If by "later stuff" you mean "Michael Graves era", then you're dealing with Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein's guitar tone. Basically that translates to really thick strings and cranking the bass. I'd say boost the treble slightly and leave the mids flat.

The earlier stuff always sounded really muddy to me, so if you want to nail that, pull back the treble and boost the bass and mids equally.

Edit: On the subject of amps, on Earth A.D. Doyle was probably using an Ampeg Lee Jackson head as he always does.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Sep 10, 2011,
Thanks, this really helps a lot
Quote by luxeion

Well; I can tell from this that they used a Marshall 4x12 cabinet at least:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley