Hey. I'm an 18 year old boy that have played giutar for almost 10 years.

I feel that my left hand technique is good, but i am bottered by my right hand. First of all it's not fast enough, and second of all it's not tight enough. So when i try to play progressive riffs like Tool and stuff i can't do it tight.

Does anyone have any good tips for my problem?
And sorry for bad english, i'm norwegian :P
IF u dont use a pick.. get one.
If u have one, learn to hold it properly..
Never move ur arm much.. jus ur wrist..
use ur pinky as a guide.
AND LASTLY , practice like hell .. doesnt matter if u play for 10 years.. all that matters is how much of heart and soul u put in it.. :P
It's hard to know what the problem is without seeing you play, but here are some tips that might help.

- Make sure you are using a heavy enough pick.
- Hold the pick quite near the bottom so that not much of it is visible.
- Angle the pick slightly
- Watch your picking hand (at a slow speed if necessary) and notice whether you are doing anything wrong. If you are then:
- Practice with perfect technique at a slow speed (i.e. make very small movements with the pick, but without the notes sounding weak).
- Another thing you can do to build up speed in the right hand is 'bursts'. All you do is play a short 3 or 4 note sequence as fast as you possibly can. That helps your hand get used to playing at a very high speed and soon you'll be able to keep it up the same speed for longer sequences of notes. As long as you've got a good basic technique in place first, 'bursts' really will take your picking to the next level.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Quote by nitarsh
IF u dont use a pick.. get one.
If u have one, learn to hold it properly..
Never move ur arm much.. jus ur wrist..
use ur pinky as a guide.
AND LASTLY , practice like hell .. doesnt matter if u play for 10 years.. all that matters is how much of heart and soul u put in it.. :P

Everything EXCEPT the bold. Using your pinky like that is anchoring and a bad habit. If you do it, it's not the end of the world, but at the end of the day it will do more harm than good.
I hate my sig
Quote by shredfan
It's hard to know what the problem is without seeing you play, but here are some tips that might help.

- Make sure you are using a heavy enough pick.
- Hold the pick quite near the bottom so that not much of it is visible.
- Angle the pick slightly
- Watch your picking hand (at a slow speed if necessary) and notice whether you are doing anything wrong. If you are then:
- Practice with perfect technique at a slow speed (i.e. make very small movements with the pick, but without the notes sounding weak).
- Another thing you can do to build up speed in the right hand is 'bursts'. All you do is play a short 3 or 4 note sequence as fast as you possibly can. That helps your hand get used to playing at a very high speed and soon you'll be able to keep it up the same speed for longer sequences of notes. As long as you've got a good basic technique in place first, 'bursts' really will take your picking to the next level.

Also, I've never heard this before but it sounds like a good idea. I will definitely try that. Any videos or more detailed descriptions of it?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Everything EXCEPT the bold. Using your pinky like that is anchoring and a bad habit. If you do it, it's not the end of the world, but at the end of the day it will do more harm than good.

dude.. actually a lot of top guitarists like petrucci recommend it .. although i must admit, i rather learnt to rest the base of the palm on the bridge and use it as a fulcrum... but it took a lot more time for me to play some licks properly (esp those that involve string skipping etc)...compared to some guys who used their pinkys.. but i guess it all boils down to personal preference in the end...
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Also, I've never heard this before but it sounds like a good idea. I will definitely try that. Any videos or more detailed descriptions of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zikuqLkmsxo

Danny Gill talks about it in this video. I honestly think this is the best way to build up speed in your picking hand.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
@Shredfan: Thanks! Makes sense to me. I'll try it.

@nitarsh I've never sen or heard of any relevant guitarist recommend anchoring. Not even Petrucci. It's not going to make or break your playing but it's undeniably a bad habit. It's a quick fix for being a bad guitarist and I've had this conversation way too many times on here
I hate my sig
Thanks everyone! A lot of good advice that i will try out and see if my right hand gets any better
And also! Does anyone have any good songs to recomend for practising being thighter? Not to fast, but still a challange!
Pick a song you want to learn. Learn it. The song I recommend is whatever one you want to learn to play. You said you like Tool? Learn some of their stuff. That will definitely make you tighter.