I´m trying different ways of setting upp my gear but I´m falling short on the results.
I have the following pedals:
- Dunlop Crybaby
- Boss BD-2
- Boss DS-2
- ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
- Behringer Acoustic Modeler

My main guitar is a Fender Jaguar HH Special and my second guitar is a Ibanez GSZ120 SV.

My current line-up is: Guitar > Small Clone > Crybaby > DS-2 > BD-2 > Acoustic Modeler > Marshall MG50DFX

The sound is alright, especially the BD-2 with its crunchy overdrive, but when activating the Crybaby it´s more of a overdisted sound than an actual workable sound (from both the BD-2 and the DS-2). The only up-side is that when I push the pedal up it creates a dark massive feedback that´s quite fun to work with.
The DS-2 doesn´t seem to be fitted correctly as the raw sound that, for example, Kurt Cobain gets doesn´t show. It´s more of a light metal-ish disappointing sound.

So. How would you put the pedals in order to get a grunge-ish and Pixies kind of sound?
Last edited by Lugas at Sep 10, 2011,
I would go (from start to finish)

Acoustic Simulator, DS-2, Chorus, Crybaby, BD-2.

If that doesn't sound right then mess with the placement of the Crybaby, BD-2, and DS-2. For the most part leave the acoustic pedal at the beginning and make sure not to have more than one overdrive going at the same time. Also, buy a better amp.

edit: In fact try to have the chorus before any overdrive so it will be a little bit more clear.
No means maybe
Last edited by pilgrimevan at Sep 10, 2011,
guitar>acoustic>crybaby>BD-2>DS-2>small clone

Notice that I left MG out
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne

well yeah that's probably how i'd do it, and preferably without the MG, but as a clean platform for running pedals the MG's not that bad. i've gotten away with tonal murder using my boss DS-2 into a borrowed MG a couple of times. I hated my tone, but nobody else seemed to care about it.

some people in audiences listen with their eyes anyway - they see the marshall logo and it distorts their perception enough to make them think it sounds good
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by pilgrimevan

If that doesn't sound right then mess with the placement of the Crybaby, BD-2, and DS-2. For the most part leave the acoustic pedal at the beginning and make sure not to have more than one overdrive going at the same time. Also, buy a better amp.

edit: In fact try to have the chorus before any overdrive so it will be a little bit more clear.

^^^^
You can try this... But it's a pretty terrible setup if you ask me. Not even worth giving a shot. Also, having more than one Overdrive pedal on at the same time is fine... In fact, it's quite common. It's called stacking overdrives. It generally invovles a mild OD/cleanboost and then a higher gain OD/distortion afterwards.

The OD before a distortion allows a boosted signal for the distortion and will add more hair. It doesn't always sound great, and you have to make sure to adjust volumes for this.

Guitar > Acoustic Simulator > Crybaby > BD-2 > DS-2 > Chorus > Amp

OR

Guitar > Acoustic Simulator > BD-2 > DS-2 > Crybaby > Chorus > Amp
Last edited by roshjosh at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
some people in audiences listen with their eyes anyway - they see the marshall logo and it distorts their perception enough to make them think it sounds good

That happens all the time
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

That looks like a handfull of interesting suggestions =) I´ll try them at once and get back with the results.

I noticed some negative feelings regarding the amp. I´m not an experienced amp-man (it´s my second amp with the first one being a Kustom 10W that came with my first guitar seven years ago) but I have to say that I´m not always too pleased with it either. I don´t know what I would need that could suit my playing style. Or well, maybe anything else would be better off than this? Marshall sure hasn´t put enough love or thought into this one. Any suggestions? For band-sound think: Nirvana, Pixies, The Black Keys, Pavement with the main band being Nirvana+Pixies.

Quite a demand =P
Quote by Lugas
That looks like a handfull of interesting suggestions =) I´ll try them at once and get back with the results.

I noticed some negative feelings regarding the amp. I´m not an experienced amp-man (it´s my second amp with the first one being a Kustom 10W that came with my first guitar seven years ago) but I have to say that I´m not always too pleased with it either. I don´t know what I would need that could suit my playing style. Or well, maybe anything else would be better off than this? Marshall sure hasn´t put enough love or thought into this one. Any suggestions? For band-sound think: Nirvana, Pixies, The Black Keys, Pavement with the main band being Nirvana+Pixies.

Quite a demand =P

Perhaps you better start a new thread with an interesting title containing this info :
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by pilgrimevan

That was actually a great setup. I could finally get a decent/good wah-sound while using a OD/dist-pedal. I have always read that the Crybaby should be placed early in the pedal-chain, but this is way better. Thank you.

I´ll be evaluating the other setups later on.

Quote by Bauwke
Perhaps you better start a new thread with an interesting title containing this info :
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Will do. I´d better focus on the pedals in here. Thanks.
Quote by OliOsbourne

Haha, I did. Oh, I did. Not a fan of my amp are you? =) Anyway, I tried your line-up and I love it. As it feels right now I think I´m gonna stick to this one. Everything seems to have come to it´s right place.

Thanks.
Quote by Duv
Strange that that works for you but it's up to you. I would've gone with what OllOsbourne said - though whether you have the wah before or after dirt is a personal taste thing.

I did. I changed the line-up and tried what Osbourne said. I love it.