As common as they are, of course there are plenty of fakes out there as well. Got a pair off of ebay for $140, a pretty standard price, and they finally came today.

Right out of the box, I knew they were off. The stickers around the neck were too shiny, and the print on them was slightly larger. Then I noticed the print on the leather pouches being off, as I had a genuine 57 to compare them against. The pop filter caps also wouldn't screw off on the fakes, while they do on the genuine one. The fakes were also significantly lighter, and of course, they sounded pretty bad, very harsh.

Overall though, if you'd never handled a 57 before, I think they'd be pretty hard to distinguish. Luckily, the ebay buyer I bought from runs a pawnshop and said he didn't realize there was a market for fake mics. Gave me a full refund and paid for shipping back as well.

Be careful out there, especially with 57's and 58's.
Sucks to hear, 'least you got your money back though. While I'm here though... I did make this thread about this a while back with detailed photos and a thorough comparison, to warn people of the perils - not being harsh, but this thread probably isn't needed
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 10, 2011,
I think Goliath posted a pretty in depth thread about counterfeit 57s a while ago, what a shitty situation on the whole.

I'm glad you got a refund!

Edit: derp slow phone typing
Yeah, I know it's not really necessary, and I knew the risk, but the guy was reputable dealer, and that's a pretty normal price to find them for.

Haha, I remember that thread, that was part of the reason for how I knew they were fake. I just felt like sharing my experience/blabbering to those who might actually care.
Quote by siksofus
Why would you something on ebay for a "standard" price?

eBay has become an amazon of sorts where a lot of stuff sells for standard prices. eBay is like a market/mall for a lot of small retailers these days
Quote by Styxonthebrain
eBay has become an amazon of sorts where a lot of stuff sells for standard prices. eBay is like a market/mall for a lot of small retailers these days

A sketchy market, which you could just go to Amazon for...rofl.
Quote by siksofus
Why would you something on ebay for a "standard" price?

I know I've done it in the past because I've had money in my paypal account - you're far better off leaving it there and spending it on ebay than paying the charges to have it transferred to your regular bank account.

Also because of what the other guy said - lots of genuine small businesses use it as their official website, you're going to get loads more hits on there than you are if you just set up a standalone site that nobodies every heard of.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by MaskedMurader23
A sketchy market, which you could just go to Amazon for...rofl.

Not true. See my last post.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This is the first problem I've had off ebay, and the guy was great about it. Paid for return shipping and all. I've bought plenty of music equipment off ebay, and it's always been fine. I'll probably do it again.