For some of my college classes I need to get Pro Tools. The version the professor suggested that we get was called Pro tools 9 LE since the studio at my college runs Pro tools 9 now. But I've been searching all around and I can't find it. So my question is: is there even a PT 9 LE? And if there isn't PT 9 LE, did they rename it? Because I see there is a Pro Tools 9 Student version, but I don't know if this is an equivalent of what would be Pro Tools 9 LE. Hopefully you guys can help. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
It exists...go to Sweetwater.com. If there is a student version, it's LE, no question. The only other versions are native and HD, which are thousands of dollars (including cards and whatnot).
Quote by Drew Dolezal
For some of my college classes I need to get Pro Tools. The version the professor suggested that we get was called Pro tools 9 LE since the studio at my college runs Pro tools 9 now. But I've been searching all around and I can't find it. So my question is: is there even a PT 9 LE? And if there isn't PT 9 LE, did they rename it? Because I see there is a Pro Tools 9 Student version, but I don't know if this is an equivalent of what would be Pro Tools 9 LE. Hopefully you guys can help. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

No, there is no Pro Tools 9 LE.

LE was discontinued at Pro Tools version 8, along with M-Powered. They still ship M-Powered with M-Audio interfaces, but it is Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, with the option of 'cross-grading' to version 9.

My advice would be to ignore your professor, and either get Pro Tools 9 or learn on something else (as you'll be learning basic stuff that is fairly similar in every DAW). No offence, but your professor could quite easily be encouraged by AVID to suggest their products to students, to try and encourage AVID exclusivity in the course's curriculum.

Besides, I bet he didn't tell you all the ways LE and M-Powered are crippled/limited by Digidesign (now part of AVID, but was digi when LE and M-Powered came out) did he?

Quote by MacFamousKid
It exists...go to Sweetwater.com. If there is a student version, it's LE, no question. The only other versions are native and HD, which are thousands of dollars (including cards and whatnot).

Sorry, but you're a few years out of the loop there...

And by the way, Pro Tools Academic is simply a way for your college to purchase multiple licenses for PT-use to teach, while saving money in the process - it has nothing to do with retail copies of Pro Tools 9, and is only available to students/colleges.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 10, 2011,
Ok, well I have to get Pro Tools as that is what well be learning on in the studio. So do you suggest I just buy Pro Tools 9? Its not super expensive, and I have money saved up for it. I dunno that my professor is pushing avid products on us, hes a pretty cool guy. But who knows, lol. Thanks for the replys buy the way.
GEAR
Guitars----
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Quote by Drew Dolezal
Ok, well I have to get Pro Tools as that is what well be learning on in the studio. So do you suggest I just buy Pro Tools 9? Its not super expensive, and I have money saved up for it. I dunno that my professor is pushing avid products on us, hes a pretty cool guy. But who knows, lol. Thanks for the replys buy the way.

You can probably get a discount on it on most sites, for being a student, which will save you even more. And if you're deadset on PT then yes, 9 is the first version that isn't horridly overpriced or crippled - if Apple screw up Logic X, as they appear to have done in Final Cut X, I may well be jumping ship to PT 9 around xmas/next year myself.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
k, thanks man.
GEAR
Guitars----
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
If you're learning Pro Tools, I would suggest you don't get anything else, but Pro Tools. I recently got Pro Tools 9 and the learning curve is pretty steep coming from something like Reaper or Cubase. While what he teaches you in class may be easily applied to other DAWs, I'd say it's better to start off on PT and decide you like another DAW better, than start on a different DAW and move to PT.

You can get the academic version of PT9 from most retailers for $300 or less.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have PT9 - It has a bit more content that other LE software. Still plenty, but we have HD at the uni studios which has pretty much everything.

ps, pro tools is annoying, but kinda cool. learn hot keys though.