Recently, My friend and I returned to our Music and recorded a new song. While it definitely sounds better than earlier efforts, I'm still unhappy with the grainy quality.

http://www.facebook.com/xDRIVENx?sk=app_2405167945

The song I'm focusing on is "Stand Up". Their are 3 others, each with their own quality levels... I'm not exactly sure how we manage to get terrible quality sometimes, better quality other times, and occasionally it almost seemed Studio. We're recording through a headset microphone (The kind you would use to talk to people online), and our other option is a Rock Band 2 Mic (We've used it before, the quality is pretty similar). We record using Audacity in a quiet basement room (Occasionally we get natural reverb!). The amps aren't cranked, I'd say my Vypyr's master is on 3 and his Frontman is on 2 or 3. I sang particularly close to the mic for "Stand Up" due to it not being some screaming thrash metal song, but usually it is hung from the ceiling and we sing pretty loud into it. Any tips at all would be helpful, I'd really like to get the best we can out of what little gear we have. Apologies for the wall of text.
See.....recording is MOSTLY about technique, but sometimes you just NEED the gear. The mics you're using both have high noise levels and terrible input quality. I used to use a $6 wal-mart mic and I just couldn't do anything with it. When I bought an SM57 my quality went through the roof.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
What kind of quality do you really expect out of a ROCKBAND mic and a headset? To take your recording to another level at least get a cheap Audix dynamic mic.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by JMKAM
So basically, all we can do is by a new mic? :/

not just a mic.. a decent mic that is made to put in front of amps.
and an audio interface.
I'll check around our local music place for a mic... Audio Interface? I'm a complete newb to recording equipment names/terminology.
Quote by vince1991
not just a mic.. a decent mic that is made to put in front of amps.
and an audio interface.

Considering what he has right now AND that he doesn't want to spend any money, a new mic should be more than sufficient. Yes, eventually he'll need an interface but for now a mic will do.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Considering what he has right now AND that he doesn't want to spend any money, a new mic should be more than sufficient. Yes, eventually he'll need an interface but for now a mic will do.

and where exactly will he be plugging in that mic? in his pc's XLR input?

without interface he needs a mic with usb connection right?
Quote by vince1991
and where exactly will he be plugging in that mic? in his pc's XLR input?

without interface he needs a mic with usb connection right?

XLR to quarter inch to eighth inch into line in. Not as good as an interface by any means but significantly cheaper. I do it every now and then when my interface is away and I just wanna throw down a track, it certainly works well enough.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712