Hello all,

I have been playing guitar for about 4 years and have uploaded a few videos up on youtube but the only thing I have to record it is a crappy video camera. So, I want to record using a professional mic instead.

I have heard different ways of recording but, I'm on a small budget and only want the major things to record. First of all, what type of mic do I need? I've heard of condensor mics, compression mics etc. What is best for recording a cab speaker?

Next, how do I start recording it? Can I plug it in straight to the computer or do I need something to put it through to then put into the computer? Also, do I need any special software on the computer or can I just use something free like audible.

Also, a bit off topic, but can an MP3 player play a mp3 louder/slower than normal. I ask this because when I first tried to record just a guitar and put the original track over the recording, I found that it was impossible to line up the recordings right. It would be OK for the first few seconds but then it would start to off time. I ask this because the only reason I want a mic is to record the guitar and then put a track on top of the recording so if I can't play along with my MP3 player in time then there's no point buying one. My MP3 player is a Sansa clip 8gb if that helps.

Thanks alot, and sorry for the noob questions

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention the budget. It's around £150. Obviously I already have a camera and a computer so just need the things to record the sound
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Last edited by UKMaster at Sep 10, 2011,
The standard cab mic is the Shure sm57 ($99). To use this you'll need an audio interface with an xlr input. If you're just looking to get your foot in the door something like an M-Audio Fast Track ($100-150) will suffice.

Should be right on with your budget.
Last edited by Odirunn at Sep 10, 2011,
That would probably be ok, although I would have to buy a mic stand on top of that. Would the £50 M-audio fast track be ok (1 XLR input, 1 usb input, Mic input, mix and output knobs)? And a new SM57 costs around $150 here but yes if that m-audio interface is fine it's all in my budget
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
I vote on the SM57, too. However, if your amp happens to have a direct out, then you can plug it straight to your audio interface / whichever other way you channel the signal into your computer, and start recording away.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Depends what amp you're trying to mic up.

For the newbie it's sometimes easier just to buy a Line6 interface with PodFarm 2 and use virtual amps
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I vote on the SM57, too. However, if your amp happens to have a direct out, then you can plug it straight to your audio interface / whichever other way you channel the signal into your computer, and start recording away.

I do believe my amp does have a line out. Using this way could I plug the line out in to the interface but also use the cab to amplify the sound? Or would I have to play the sound through my speakers on my compter? Also, would this sound as good as recording using the mic?
Quote by UKMaster
I do believe my amp does have a line out. Using this way could I plug the line out in to the interface but also use the cab to amplify the sound? Or would I have to play the sound through my speakers on my compter? Also, would this sound as good as recording using the mic?

If you do that, the sound will come out through the computer speakers, but I guess you could find a way to hook the cab and get the signal out of it (though, unless you have really crappy speakers, I dunno why you would want to do that)
I record my guitars that way (well, I use a modeling pedalboard instead of an amp, but for practical purposes I reckon it's the same) and I get a pretty good sound out of that (check the recordings on my profile if you're curious).

Then again, the quality of the sound you'll get will depend on what interface and amp you use, of course.
Last edited by creeping.death! at Sep 10, 2011,
Hmm... Well, my PC speakers costed me £20... so they're not what you call amazing I may just use the normal way of micing up the cab. Seems the best way although it's the most expensive!
What about the AKG d112? I just heard some comparisons and the SM57 sounds quite fuzzy and a bit mushy and the AKG sounds clear and punchy. Is this just youtube or is this what they sound like?