What would be the point of getting a stack / amp over 100 watts? Most venues have their own speaker system, which the guitarist's amp would be miked over loud-ass speakers.

With that in mind, why expand the requirement to fully crank out your tone if you would never actually need to?
Why 100? Why not 35, or 61, 88?

Big amps tend to sound "better" or "beefier" because they have huge output transformers. Some people also like the bass response and headroom that comes from lots of wattage. Saying that some arbitrary number of watts (even if it's a nice even number like 100) is sort of pointless - sure, some people might get amps that are bigger than they need, but some people really do benefit from big amps.
Just to say they have a full stack and to piss off the neighors
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
The only point is to get an amp that sounds good to you and works for you. If its 10w,15w, etc you can always mic it. If a 120w full stack works for you and gives you the sound you want then thats all that matters. A big enough show will even require a stack to be micced. Also alot of places will still mic a stack for the soundman.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Because higher wattages sound better overall in many peoples opinions, even at lower volumes i prefer to use the whole 100 watts instead of the 25 watt mode on my TSL100
Quote by Roc8995
Why 100? Why not 35, or 61, 88?

Big amps tend to sound "better" or "beefier" because they have huge output transformers. Some people also like the bass response and headroom that comes from lots of wattage. Saying that some arbitrary number of watts (even if it's a nice even number like 100) is sort of pointless - sure, some people might get amps that are bigger than they need, but some people really do benefit from big amps.

This.
Also clean headroom
RIP Gooze

cats
Clean headroom was the first thing that popped into my mind. If I want a true pristine clean sound at higher volumes, I'm not going to be able to get that with a 20 watt amp. I sometimes struggle to get it with a 50 watt amp. But my amp yields it perfectly on 100 watt mode.

But it's true that unless you intend to play arenas or similar huge venues, you technically don't need anything more than 100 watts.
big iron rules.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.