So I have 2 amps, a Fender Frontman 65R, and a Marshall mg100fx. I originally got the marshall and liked it a lot, but once i discovered the fender, i loved it, the clean tone is amazing, and the Marshall sounds kind of muffled. The problem is, the fender is loud enough but doesn't project as much, which makes sense because it has 1 x 12 rather than 4. I'm thinking of getting rid of the marshall and either getting some other half stack, or a fender frontman 212R (the next step up from my current fender) and converting that into a half stack. My question is if there are any half stacks that would have that sound of the fender frontman amps, or if i should just convert the 212R (which would be a fun adventure). I also need it to cost only around $300-$450ish, depending on what i could get for the marshall. I would be fine with anything used, it would just have to be in the price range and have that sound. Any ideas.

sell both and get a tube amp

You're not gonna get a halfstack for that cheap either
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by ZackGuitar12
So I have 2 amps, a Fender Frontman 65R, and a Marshall mg100fx. I originally got the marshall and liked it a lot, but once i discovered the fender, i loved it, the clean tone is amazing, and the Marshall sounds kind of muffled. The problem is, the fender is loud enough but doesn't project as much, which makes sense because it has 1 x 12 rather than 4. I'm thinking of getting rid of the marshall and either getting some other half stack, or a fender frontman 212R (the next step up from my current fender) and converting that into a half stack. My question is if there are any half stacks that would have that sound of the fender frontman amps, or if i should just convert the 212R (which would be a fun adventure). I also need it to cost only around $300-$450ish, depending on what i could get for the marshall. I would be fine with anything used, it would just have to be in the price range and have that sound. Any ideas.

Alright, I'm going to have to stop you right there...

So there was a Fender FM halfstack made. I can't remember what they called it. But it was likely as shit as the 212R and the 65R.

I have a 212R (gathering dust in my garage somewhere) and trust me, neither does it have any more usable sound than the 65R (although it might project a tad better) but there is no difference in running the volume on it at 5 or 10. I gigged with that amp all through high school, and it was a tank, but sounded poor.

Please, if you already have a 65R, you have suffered enough. Do what I did and buy a blues junior. Even a Hot Rod deluxe can be had for around 500 on the used market.

I know that you will not believe me, but my 15W blues junior is louder or as loud as my 100W Fender FM. Don't argue me on this, its true.

edit: I'm actually smelling some troll here...
Last edited by hawk5211 at Sep 10, 2011,
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by hawk5211
Alright, I'm going to have to stop you right there...

So there was a Fender FM halfstack made. I can't remember what they called it. But it was likely as shit as the 212R and the 65R.

I have a 212R (gathering dust in my garage somewhere) and trust me, neither does it have any more usable sound than the 65R (although it might project a tad better) but there is no difference in running the volume on it at 5 or 10. I gigged with that amp all through high school, and it was a tank, but sounded poor.

Please, if you already have a 65R, you have suffered enough. Do what I did and buy a blues junior. Even a Hot Rod deluxe can be had for around 500 on the used market.

I know that you will not believe me, but my 15W blues junior is louder or as loud as my 100W Fender FM. Don't argue me on this, its true.

edit: I'm actually smelling some troll here...

I'm surprised you haven't bled out thru ur ears yet...

if you like the clean tones then just get another fender tube. fender and vox tube amps have pristine cleans and just sound amazing. when you play them you will come to your senses and realize that your frontman and mg r really nowhere near what ANYONE would consider a good sounding amp.

and for the reference to the 15w blues jr, a rule of thumb for volume when it comes to tube and solid state is 1 tube watt is roughly equivalent to 15 solid state watts. so a 15w tube amp will be plenty loud. i can gig with my 6 watt tube amp.

in order to keep those cleans that you want, you'll need a higher wattage amp to minimize early tube breakup at higher volumes. anything 30 or higher should do just fine for that
Quote by andrerist
and for the reference to the 15w blues jr, a rule of thumb for volume when it comes to tube and solid state is 1 tube watt is roughly equivalent to 15 solid state watts. so a 15w tube amp will be plenty loud. i can gig with my 6 watt tube amp.

1:15 might be exaggerated

TS: the link I gave you before was local. This should be better.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-HOT-ROD-DEVILLE-2X12-60W-COMBO-106809557-i2054968.gc
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by ZackGuitar12
The problem is, the fender is loud enough but doesn't project as much, which makes sense because it has 1 x 12 rather than 4.

the fender is loud enough... but not loud enough? i know what you are getting at, but if an amp isn't loud enough then it is just not loud enough. how do you know if the single speaker is the culprit?

w/e. if you want a 1x12 to project better then either raise it closer to ear level, get an amp stand or lean the amp back so it points more at your head.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Sell both amps, get a good combo amp.

If you can't find a decent tube for that price, check out some Peavey Vypers, Roland Cubes.

They will sound 100x times better than your MG.

Check out a Fender Deville, or Blues Jr.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by hawk5211
Sorry?

The rest of your post is great, but what is that about lol?

The mass of cluttered harmonics the frontman tries to pass off as tone has been known to burst eardrums. True story.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
mustang half stack.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think the ts just isn't spoiled yet. The fm is a pretty sweet amp if you've only played thru an mg. I think a used solid state halfstack can be had in that price range. I've seen crate halfstacks for $150 on craigslist. But having said that, the guy in a previous post was right, do yourself(and your friends/bandmates/dog) a favor and spend the money on a decent tube amp(which can also be had used in that price range!). Tube tone is thicker, louder, livelier, punchier, more natural sounding than ss. imo, you should buy a Fender Blues Jr(cause you like the fm) and some new underwear cause if you like the fm you're gonna $h!t your pants playing a blues jr
Last edited by lucky1978 at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by bluestratplayer
The mass of cluttered harmonics the frontman tries to pass off as tone has been known to burst eardrums. True story.

Oh, I see. Agreed. I nearly killed our singer with the bridge pickup on my strat. She was pissed lol. Just these random spikes that were unexplainable...
Quote by hawk5211
Oh, I see. Agreed. I nearly killed our singer with the bridge pickup on my strat. She was pissed lol. Just these random spikes that were unexplainable...

anyone else see a light going on there?

On a serious note, in case you're not a troll TS, +1 to ethan_hanus's ValveKing suggestion. Probably the best amp for cleans and headroom you can get in your price range.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This is a flamebait thread, no?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was starting to think I was still asleep and this was just a bad dream. It's like asking where can I get a taco that tastes like dogshit? I think I will leave it to you, I haven't had enough coffee to cope with this.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If someone has reached the point where they have both a 65w Frontman and a 100w MG then they're in all likelihood beyond salvation.
Quote by hawk5211
easy there bud.

don't fight it.

think about your post.

you seem to be starting to get it.

it's called an epiphany or moment of clarity.

let it happen.

Quote by hawk5211
lulz

nvm, i see you have a blues jr.

it must have happened already.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
nvm, i see you have a blues jr.

it must have happened already.

i think hawk5211 has been mistaken for the thread starter?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Blompcube
i think hawk5211 has been mistaken for the thread starter?

no, the TS is long gone. i just responded to the post i quoted.

the TS will show back up much later, and i think it's good for him to see a fellow UGer that came to the same realization.

Quote by fly135
Amps are overrated. Get a Zoom G3.

at first I thought you said "amps are overrated. Get a zune"
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by gregs1020
no, the TS is long gone. i just responded to the post i quoted.

the TS will show back up much later, and i think it's good for him to see a fellow UGer that came to the same realization.

to be honest i came to that realization about a week after I bought the FM212R, but money was short back then lol.

Its such an indestructible amp, which helps when you are in high school, and not having to worry about tubes cracking in the winter here as well.
Quote by hawk5211
to be honest i came to that realization about a week after I bought the FM212R, but money was short back then lol.

right. i got ya.

congrats.

i hope the TS checks back in and sees your posts.
A Crate Shockwave will destroy the Frontman.
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Quote by andrerist
I'm surprised you haven't bled out thru ur ears yet...

if you like the clean tones then just get another fender tube. fender and vox tube amps have pristine cleans and just sound amazing. when you play them you will come to your senses and realize that your frontman and mg r really nowhere near what ANYONE would consider a good sounding amp.

in order to keep those cleans that you want, you'll need a higher wattage amp to minimize early tube breakup at higher volumes. anything 30 or higher should do just fine for that

Vox AC15 or AC30 has great cleans... but I would never call them "Pristine." they're chimey with slight breakup.

Also 1:15 ratio for wattage when comparing tube to solid state is completely inaccurate. Wattage =/= volume or output. It should also be noted that a 100W amp is not 10 times louder than a 10W amp.