Hey guys,

I've got a Seagull S6 Original strung with 0.013 gauge. Whenever I do a hammeron from an open string to a high fret (like 0h9) it makes two notes -- one that I want, and the other one resulting from the other half of the string hitting the 8th fret. It's usually extremely dissonant. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it? Thanks!
Quote by pillow.top
Hey guys,

I've got a Seagull S6 Original strung with 0.013 gauge. Whenever I do a hammeron from an open string to a high fret (like 0h9) it makes two notes -- one that I want, and the other one resulting from the other half of the string hitting the 8th fret. It's usually extremely dissonant. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it? Thanks!

As far as I know there isn't anything you can do. If you think about it, both notes will come through since its an acoustic guitar. The same is true of electrics, but the second, or dissonant note isn't amplified, so its not as big an issue.

0h9 isn't all that common, so I wouldn't worry lol.
Yeah, there's nothing you can really do about that. I don't play acoustic, but when I'm just messing around this happens constantly. Plugging in makes it go away, of course.

Sometimes I've even come up with cool riffs/licks as the unintended note sometimes comes through more than the intended one, so it sounds pretty cool.
Where's Waldo?
That happens to my guitar too. I'm pretty sure it's just something you deal with.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Tie something around the top of your guitar on the nut (I use a bandanna) it will mute the strings making them sound almost (not quite) like they're being palm muted, this will prevent the unwanted notes ringing out, very useful for Legato or Sweep type stuff where there is a high possibility for unwanted notes ringing out, however, this does also make doing pull-offs to open notes virtually impossible, and your open strings muted, but still give it a shot, has worked well for me
Quote by hawk5211

0h9 isn't all that common, so I wouldn't worry lol.

yeah, that's true -- it comes up in embryonic journey a whole lot though, so I've just reduced it to 7h9 and it sounds alright.
I've not tried this but in theory if you were to hammer on with your middle finger and keep the index finger slightly behind it (so it touches the string at the 8th fret but doesn't press down), you would mute the other side of the string.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.