I'm quite new in playing guitar. So, sorry if I sound stupid or what.

Currently, I'm practicing Canon Rock's chorus with my four fingers.

Do I need to put only one finger at a time on the fretboard while playing each note?

e - - - - 17 - - - 14 - 15 - 17 - - - 14 - 15 - - - 17
- - - - - - p - - - - i - - m - - p - - - - i - - m - - - p

So after I play 14 with my index finger, I'll lift and press 15 with my middle then lift it again and press 17 with my pinky?

So to make my question short, do I need only one finger at a time on the fretboard?
As said above it depends. All the lifting of your finger does is mute the end of the note so it doesn't sustain on forever. But if you got into details if you wanted a more legato or fluid, connected sound you would leave your fingers on, or hammer on. That little pause between the lift of the finger and the push of the next finger on the next note is covered up by the attack of the pick, so it honestly depends on what you're doing with your right hand too.

Long answer short, it's all a matter of situation and what you're going for.
it doesn't matter if you are fretting 14 while fretting 15 on the same string. the higher note will still sound regardless....
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

I'm asking because sometimes it sounds like I'm doing hammer on and picking it after it. Resulting to playing a certain note twice,

I probably playing it so fast that my both hands can't keep up, right?
Quote by darkhunter25

e - - - - 17 - - - 14 - 15 - 17 - - - 14 - 15 - - - 17
- - - - - - p - - - - i - - m - - p - - - - i - - m - - - p

Fingers? Pimps? What are you trying to say?

But honestly, not lifting your index finger there will increase speed, and "technique" for all the purists and whatnot, but that's about it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by darkhunter25
I'm asking because sometimes it sounds like I'm doing hammer on and picking it after it. Resulting to playing a certain note twice,

I probably playing it so fast that my both hands can't keep up, right?

Either hammer on, or lift your finger off to mute the 14. Or do both at the exact same time? Don't hammer on then pick it if you want the note to only sound once though lol
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
The only time extra fingers matter are for hammer ons, pull offs, and bends. In your case your left hand is just moving faster than your right so you're getting double notes. Plus at high speeds if you try to rest the string after every single note it'll create a timing nightmare and you'll just encounter the double-note conundrum even more.

My advice to you is do not lift your finger off until you move onto the next note, e.g. if you hit 14 don't pull that index finger off until you get that middle finger on 15. Make sure both of your hands are on the same page and make sure you aren't playing too fast because your fingers WILL be able to be move faster than your picking hand at first, so practice practice practice.

Oh yeah, and buy a metronome.