Next amp is going to be an Egnater 65w Renegade combo. I was hard pressed to find a tone I didn't like in the hour or so that I demo'd it at GC today (yes, I sat in front of that amp playing for about an hour. What of it?)

Anything I should know about these amps as far as reliability or durability is concerned? They seem to have pretty decent construction, but I'm hoping this one will last me for a very long time until I have a career that can afford buying more gear. And a Taylor 814ce, but that's a story for another day.

Thanks everyone for the help along the way finding an amp, by the way. I really appreciate it!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've had mine about 3 months its an killer amp for The $$. enjoy
I have the TourMaster 4100 head and so far it's been bullet-proof. Lots of tonal possibilities with lots of knobs ... a tweaker's amp for sure.

The fun continues when you start experimenting with various speakers in your cab.

As with any amp made today (apart from some boutique ones) - better tubes.
JJ and SED if you can't be bothered searching out NOS preamp tubes on Ebay and risking getting microphonic ones. You can dig up a store-bought genuine NOS JAN Phillips 12AX7 for V1 for reasonable prices if you dig around. They are basically an American Mullard (Phillips owned Mullard back in the day) so how can you go wrong?
Then follow it up with JJ ECC83S and maybe a JJ ECC803 or two. The ECC83S is a copy of a Telefunken 12AX7, it's very nice. The ECC803 is a long plate, low noise Tesla valve (JJ used to be Tesla, same factory). It has slightly less gain than the ECC83 but not a lot. They are so very very quiet and sound really smooth.
And as Ippon said - speakers. The world's your oyster with that thing. I'm a Greenback man myself but once you settle on your main sound come back and ask what people recommend for that style. There's some pretty good speaker knowledge on this forum.

Have fun. Good choice.

Edit: Just realised - combo. JJ ECC803's have a tendency to be a tad microphonic. Doesn't matter in a head but in a combo they can cause problems. Worth getting one to try though.
And SED =C= output valves for both the 6L6 and EL34 valves. JJ if you can't afford them.

Also, JAN Phillips 5751 in the phase inverter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 11, 2011,
i personally wouldn't bother with an 814ce unless you want all the bling.

in my experience the 414ce is where the tone stops getting better and the looks are the only thing that changes.

great guitars though so if it's your dream acoustic, have at it.

i can't comment on the reliability of the renegade, although that tweaker i had was built like a tank. it took a whaling when i sent it to my buddy in San Antonio. the USPS ended up sending it back to chicago. when it got back here it looked as though it was kicked around a junk yard for a month. it still plays great and has no noise it didn't have prior. if that's any help.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Renegade is made in China I believe but every time I've 'handled' one it had a high quality feel to it. Does the combo come with a G12H30/Vintage 30 pair? New tubes are always great, and Cath laid out some good ones, but you'll have plenty of time to mess with tubes.

Do IT!
I have EI ecc83 in v1 and v3 and the sound amazing very dynamic and very low noise.
Thanks for the info guys.

The 112 combo I'm getting comes with some "special voiced Celestion" something or other. Once I get some more funds under me I'll probably try out a Greenback or a Weber Blue Dog, maybe both and run my old Blackheart 112 cab as an extension. I don't know.

Gregs, it is really the bling to me. I'm willing to pay the extra for how gorgeous it is. Plus, IMO, the 814 does have a bit of a different sound than the other hundred series Taylors.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
"Special voiced" or "Custom" Celestion is usually marketing code for Seventy 80's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
"Special voiced" or "Custom" Celestion is usually marketing code for Seventy 80's.

It's actually a subtly tweaked Classic Lead 80. Read that in a forum post by Mr. Egnater himself. And it sounds pretty good, played the Rebel 30 112 combo with that speaker myself and really liked the overall sound.
Depends which combo you're looking at, but none of the Renegade stuff has 70/80's in it. The 2x12 combo has 1 Vintage 30, and 1 tweaked Classic Lead 80.
My main rig is a Renegade head and Tourmaster 2x12 cab. No problems so far...well...other than getting to play some larger venues so I can really flex it's muscles. Anyways, enjoy it.
78' Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender 60th Anniversary Tele
Fender Nashville Tele
Fender MIA Fat Strat
EVH Wolfgang Special
Schecter C1+
Martin DC-16GTE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Egnater Renegade Head
Tourmaster 2x12 Cab
Fender Champ (1966)
Quote by Natrone
Gregs, it is really the bling to me. I'm willing to pay the extra for how gorgeous it is. Plus, IMO, the 814 does have a bit of a different sound than the other hundred series Taylors.

well a lot of labor and more expensive materials go into that bling, so the added cost is certainly there on the build side of things.

they do sound a bit different, better is all preference, i can't argue either to be superior. as i said, great guitars.

Quote by Ian Egnater
The 2x12 combo has 1 Vintage 30, and 1 tweaked Classic Lead 80.

how was it tweaked?

Natrone - a friend of mine uses a 212 avatar contemporary with a V30 and Lead 80, it's one of the best sounding 212s i've played through. albeit is a closed back design which certainly does have an affect on things. i'm curious to hear how the Lead 80 was tweaked.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Classic Lead 80. I should have known better

Thanks Ian for chiming in

Natrone - when is your NAD?

Soon, grasshopper. Just need to procure the funds and have a day to make a drive to south Austin and meet up with CL sellers
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray