I've hit that almost inevitable yet incredibly frustrating wall - I can play the pentatonic box in my sleep but I'm stuck there. I need to break out of it or I'll soon go crazy. What are some things that I should begin studying and learning to break out of the box and become a legitimate lead player?
in just the 1st position or do you know all 5? If not start there.
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

@rusty do you have a link of some sort to illustrate what you're talking about? i know 2 positions of the scale if that's what you're referring to.
Quote by sghunter182
@rusty do you have a link of some sort to illustrate what you're talking about? i know 2 positions of the scale if that's what you're referring to.

Here ya go. http://www.theorylessons.com/pent002positions.php
Although your inability to google frustrates me lol. There are loads of useful learning resources on teh interwebz.
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

Quote by rustymoore91
Here ya go. http://www.theorylessons.com/pent002positions.php
Although your inability to google frustrates me lol. There are loads of useful learning resources on teh interwebz.

I feel ya. I get that way about other people too. I just wanted a little clarification about what your were referring too. I appreciate the link!
Quote by sghunter182
I've hit that almost inevitable yet incredibly frustrating wall - I can play the pentatonic box in my sleep but I'm stuck there. I need to break out of it or I'll soon go crazy. What are some things that I should begin studying and learning to break out of the box and become a legitimate lead player?

How's your ear?

Can you hear a lead line and play it without a lot of missed notes and trial and error?

Work on that, and you'll find yourself breaking out of your boxes pretty quickly.
learn the 5 modes of the pentatonic scale, then learn all 7 greek modes of the major scale. thats a start. I used to be the same way until i met a guy (who happened to be a teacher) and he played the same exact style that i play. so i decided to learn from him.

If you want to get out of the pentatonic rut. learn all 5 positions of the pentatonic scale, then learn all 7 greek modes.

While pentatonics are cool for licks at times it gets boring playing the same thing over and over. I was about to hang myself with barbed wire also. dont be sad.

EDIT: also...to make things more interesting, create licks in number like a group of 5 notes and repeat it down the scale. make it a WHOLE lot more interesting then just play the scale fast. Give it some melodic structure. sit there and think of a cool melodic pentatonic lick in a number group then play it descending or ascending. Or you can mix and match. for example have an 8 note number group ascending then a 5 note descending.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Sep 11, 2011,