Hai guys
when playing a bar chords such as

--------2----------------------------------
--------3----------------------------------
--------4----------------------------------
--------4---------------------------------

How important is the D string in this..because i find i can play the chord like this

--------3----------------------------------
--------X----------------------------------
--------4---------------------------------

alot easier..
thoughts?
Last edited by deputydoodoo at Sep 11, 2011,
Its just the octave so i guess in theory not overly important to the voicing of the chord.
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

thats curious, I find a lot easier the first chord.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
yeh its because when i started learning guitar i just did power chords so if u get the

-----2----
-----2----
-----4----
shape i just use my index and pinky so when i try playing this

-----3----
-----2----
-----2----
-----4----

i find my pinky mutes the g string...hence my question.
it the same thing (F#)

though I always like the octave sound in there, I don't see the reason to mute it.
Opus Pocus =]
Quote by deputydoodoo
yeh its because when i started learning guitar i just did power chords so if u get the

-----2----
-----2----
-----4----
shape i just use my index and pinky so when i try playing this

-----3----
-----2----
-----2----
-----4----

i find my pinky mutes the g string...hence my question.

what chords are those???

definitively not powercords >.<
Opus Pocus =]
Pretty important. Learn the full bar, no shortcuts xD
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
It's well worth the effort of strengthening your index finger to do the barre chord the usual way, as that way you can play around with it, change between different shapes on the same fret easy, or throw in a quick lick with it.
Quote by josuetijuana
what chords are those???

definitively not powercords >.<

He's probably mixing up the tab direction...

But then even inversed it doesn't make sense, because it's a root, a fourth, then an octave.
ive been playing for like a year and a half, but only recently started working on bar chords and more expansive things other then power chords and simple pop punk tabbing.
Quote by deputydoodoo
ive been playing for like a year and a half, but only recently started working on bar chords and more expansive things other then power chords and simple pop punk tabbing.

Keep working at it.

You'll find over time that you get that note to ring out better and better.

Barre chords are hard and everybody struggles with them for a while, to get good tone out of each string. This is a normal part of your development as a guitarist. Just keep playing, keep baring lots of chords, and it'll slowly improve.
Quote by HotspurJr
Keep working at it.

You'll find over time that you get that note to ring out better and better.

Barre chords are hard and everybody struggles with them for a while, to get good tone out of each string. This is a normal part of your development as a guitarist. Just keep playing, keep baring lots of chords, and it'll slowly improve.

Completely agree. It took me time, and now I have no problems barring. Just be patient, and it will come.
Dont compensate for you're lack of ability to do this technique, learn the full thing and you'll be pleased with the result dude
Whoever said its not overly important is ignorant - A) the voicing of the chord actually changes because you're missing that octave!! and B) what happens when you need to play the other types of barre chords which will require much better finger placement than this one.

Honestly dont be lazy you'll regret it later, I disagree about it taking time however - Barre chords are in the first chapter of my first guitar book and i can honestly say it took less than a day to switch major/minor and 7th shapes for me - so just go at it hard one day and you'll probably wake up the next day with the finger memory.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.