hey guys, im boosting my blackstar ht-5r (tube)-amp with a boss sd-1 but somehow it seems to be not loud enough to kick the amps a**. so im thinking about replacing the sd-1 with some other pedal... what i want to know is:

should i take a od-pedal (like a ibanez tubescreamer (tonelock series i think, dont want to spend more than 100&euro) or a true booster pedal (like artec dbt or electro harmonix nano lpb or something like this)

i play an ibanez rg and a schecter blackjack c-1 (both w/ medium to high output passive humbuckers) into a blackstar ht-5r combo

i want to use the amps overdrive channel in a upper-medium-gain setting for rock stuff and boost it to highgain to play metallica-stuff (dont need it to be a scoooooped metal tone just a "kicked in the a**" rock-tone with a lot of gain...

well tell me what u think
What settings do you use on the boss pedal?

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I play an Ibanez rg1570 trough a blackstar ht-5 stack and use an mxr-custom audio electronics MC 401 boost/line driver to kick it, just a transparant booster is enough for me be to be honest.

If you like a real creamy overdrive try out the zack wylde overdrive from mxr. or the michael angelo batio from t-rex. Also make sure you check out the blackstar HT-Dual or HT-Drive i think those are great too.

Hope this will help you
I play an Ibanez rg1570 trough a blackstar ht-5 stack and use an mxr-custom audio electronics MC 401 boost/line driver to kick it, just a transparant booster is enough for me be to be honest.

If you like a real creamy overdrive try out the zack wylde overdrive from mxr. or the michael angelo batio from t-rex. Also make sure you check out the blackstar HT-Dual or HT-Drive i think those are great too.

Hope this will help
Quote by Bauwke
What settings do you use on the boss pedal?

i use it at level:max tone: about 12 o clock drive: 8.5

Quote by VincenTvBergen

Hope this will help you

jepp this helps a lot i think thank you how much gain do u use from the amp and hom high can u boost the gain with the mxr (i usually set my ht-5 at about 1 or 2 o clock gain and want to boost it to a metallica tone if this is possible)
Look into an Electro Harmonix LBP-1.

It's just a power booster. Pushes your amp harder so your amp still sounds like your amp, just driven.

I have one and bought it for £28 new. About average price for it. It's so good.
My SD-1 gets me a great rock tone, but for hard rock and metal you'd need something with a bit more gain I think. It'd also depend on the amp I guess. Maybe get a distortion pedal, and put the overdrive before it to boost it even more when needed?
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Look into an Electro Harmonix LBP-1.

It's just a power booster. Pushes your amp harder so your amp still sounds like your amp, just driven.

I have one and bought it for £28 new. About average price for it. It's so good.

seems to be similar to the mxr VincenT recommended but a bit cheaper, i think ill check this one too, thank you. any problems with (sound-)quality or so (got some bad experience with real low budget effects)?

Quote by Rokeman
My SD-1 gets me a great rock tone, but for hard rock and metal you'd need something with a bit more gain I think. It'd also depend on the amp I guess. Maybe get a distortion pedal, and put the overdrive before it to boost it even more when needed?

i only use it as a booster pedal, i use the od-channel of the amp and just want two gain levels u know.. my problem is just that the sd-1 has a too low output level to use it as a real booster... but the overdrive sound from the sd-1 is not bad indeed
Last edited by derAlchemist at Sep 11, 2011,
I use a mxr OD808 up front and a BBE Sonic Maximiser in the loop on my HT-5. The maximiser punches the speakers.