There are a couple things I've been wanting to do to my guitars, and I was wondering what alterations would be required and if I could do them or not.

1) I want to block the tremolo. I know the general sense of the project, but does anyone know which dimensions I would need to block it on an SE?
2) I want to up my string gauge on my CU24. I want to go to a .13-.60 set from .13-.56 set. I know I have to widen the nut. What tool should I use to do that? Also, what else will be required after I change the gauge? (Intonation? Truss rod? Etc...)
3) Finally, the string slots on the bridge are not wide enough for the strings I am using (particularly the 5th and 6th string of the CU24). Can I widen them?

Ultimately, I just want to know: for what I want to do, what is required, and how can I learn to do that?

Thanks!
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
1)you need block that is the exact size that prevents the tremolo from movement completely. It pretty much depends on the guitar exactly. What people usually do is take block of approximate size (you can get that by simply pressing the tremolo back and measure the gap) and then filling in the rest with thing slices of wood to get to exact size. You can afterwards just glue the pieces together or put tape around it or something.

2)pretty much any tool imo, just nothing too rough. I used nail file on my strat copy and it worked well. First try to pop the strings in though, you might not need to adjust the nut at all. Same goes for the intonation and truss rod. Pop the strings in and see. You probably will have to make some slight intonation adjustment but i don't think you'll need to mess with truss rod, since there isn't like a huge difference between the strings.

3)don't know
1) I want to block the tremolo. I know the general sense of the project, but does anyone know which dimensions I would need to block it on an SE?
Just take off the tremolo cover and mesure it.
2) I want to up my string gauge on my CU24. I want to go to a .13-.60 set from .13-.56 set. I know I have to widen the nut. What tool should I use to do that? Also, what else will be required after I change the gauge? (Intonation? Truss rod? Etc...)
File the nut. Intonate if needed, and adjust the truss rod only if it bow. I dont think it will, i upgraded from 9-42 to 11-52 and it didnt did nothing.
3) Finally, the string slots on the bridge are not wide enough for the strings I am using (particularly the 5th and 6th string of the CU24). Can I widen them?
File 'em.
1. like said measure the space and create
a block that is snug.

2. if you over file, the string will enter the board
at too low an angle and will buzz at the first
few frets. so file lightly and in an upward angle.
up to the board.

3. depends on the bridge type.
you might want to swap out bridge parts
if it's a huge difference. filed metal can leave sharp
points and break strings.
I would sort out this issue prior to anything else.

4. after it's all done. or if you have questions along the way
concerning intonation or anything,
then visit the setup thread top of the page.
or green link in my sig and ask there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
So a regular old nail file can do for the nut, if done properly?
What about the tremolo? What should/could I use to file that?
I sometimes use a toothpick with
fine sandpaper wrapped around it
to widen a nut cut.

to file metal you need a metal file.
but I haven't seen your bridge and
wouldn t know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It's the standard tremolo on a PRS SE guitar.
Quote by n1ckn1ce

But these would still require a filing? The slot looks like it would hold even a thicker string better than the current saddles, just because of the shape?