randy rhodes used a coombinatuion of preamp and power amp dirt, right? most classic rock is power amp and metal is preamp dirt, but maiden used plexis, so did/do they use power amp distortion? also, would i be able to use a cranked amp with power amp dirt for maiden-megadeth tones dirt-wise?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Yeah RR had his plexi modded with a master volume. Some thing like a Blackheart Handsome Devil would work well with a boost of some kind (TS-8/9) will get you pretty close to those tones.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A Handsome Devil is a great practice amp but it's only 15W. You don't know if he wants to play with a drummer and you're recommending a 15W amp?

TS: Maiden is a combination of power amp and preamp distortion. Power amp distortion because they were cranked but things like tubescreamers to push the front end as well. I'd go for something with a bit of grunt so you get the option. Something like a DSL410 perhaps? Any smaller than that and you can kiss cleans goodbye with a drummer.
What are you using it for?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A Handsome Devil is a great practice amp but it's only 15W. You don't know if he wants to play with a drummer and you're recommending a 15W amp?

I was jumping the gun a little. Just going by what he had in his sig because he never listed anything.

Cathbard please put your Bowie knife away and call off your salties please
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
holy shit guys, i was just asking cuz i didn't know for sure what maiden was, lol, not looking for an amp recommendation i think i'm actually gonna get the Kustom Defender 5h, boost it for heavier, and mic it. however, if there's no p.a. system available, i'll use my frontman as a p.a. ( get a mic and clip/stand and stuff, then an xlr to 1/4 cable and run the mic through the frontman.. oh and maybe an a/b box to use the fender's clean, prolly not though) and if i need it louder i can turn up the fender and quieter settings would result in turning off the fender altogether. for something i know is small like an open mic night i'll just bring the head and 112 cab. my friend plays unmiced at open mic night at my school with a 20 watt SS amp with a 12" speaker and an RP355 and he gets heard no problem, the 5 watt tubes might overpower him lol

EDIT: if i reallyyy had to i could even mic the frontman

but the small amp for now, metinks, till i get in a band
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Sep 11, 2011,
^that would work, right?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699