Hi guys, ive been guitar for almost a year now on a heavily modified encore strat with scalloped neck and a seymour duncan screamin demon in the bridge position. I think ive gotten the most out of it now, the single coils are absolutely shit, so i rely on the humbucker most of the time.

So i decided to go and have a look at a les paul and a fender, in all honesty the les paul was to heavy and clumsy for me, i always loved a fender anyway so ive decided im going to get a fender strat, now i play a broad range of music (blues and heavy rock, odd time a bit of metal), i mostly play dire straits, greenday, guns n roses, acdc, lenny kratiz and a bit of chuck berry/ springsteen.

i love the single coils but need the grunt of a humbucker, so i need ur opinion on whether to get a sss (love the look of it 'classic') or hss, pity that fender cudnt make a hsss with a hidden humbucker like a line 6 guitar, **** that wud be awesome, so what uns guys think?

SSS or HSS?
Get an SSS and put a rail (I think they're called rails, the single coil sized ones) humbucker in the bridge?
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
HSS if you play anything heavier than blues.

edit: ^ that could work but a single coil sized humbucker will never sound the same as an ordinary humbucker.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
well theoretically you could mod HSS into HSSSS, but it would be weird (also the bridge single-coil would sound differently than usually cuz of different position)

I'd recommend HSS, maybe with coil tap or HSS with single-coil-sized humbucker (looks better)
Last edited by KorYi at Sep 11, 2011,
thats what i was thinking becky, but its a real pity fender didnt make a humbucker which cud get that 'quack' that im looking for, by the way Kory, i was thinking of the strat vg but without all the tunning shit, just a plain fender strat with the thin humbucker situated right in front of the tremolo
oh that....well that ain't exactly a 'thin humbucker', but most probably a MIDI pickup, since it's modelling guitar. Something like Roland GK-3 or similar.
Last edited by KorYi at Sep 11, 2011,
oh right, my mistake kory, only seen it on youtube and the man said it was a humbucker, well i was thinking there, wud it be better if i got SSS with os2 boss pedal, or hss with amp gain?
well in the title you say you 'need the grunt of a humbucker' and 'love the single coils' so i think some coil-splittable mini-humbucker ( i dislike the look of full-sized ones in HSS guitars =P) would be most likely the best solution
An SSS will do most of that stuff except metal. I would recommend the HSS- I have an SSS and honestly rarely use the bridge pickup alone- just too trebly. I think HSS strats are great, and the most versatile guitar you can get without getting too techy or losing vibe. Go with your gut though- if you're a purist, the HSS will never do it for you.
Dude, where's my band?
Well, if you get a HSS you still have two singles.

May as well get the HSS.

Strat bridge sc's are too quacky anyway. Tele bridge pups are where its at.
im not really a purist, although i like the look of a sss strat, id rather have the 'engine' than the 'body' if u catch my drift? right now ive been saving for a guitar, and able to afford one, didnt like gibson much so the fenders done me, the only reason i might need the bridge is for dire straits, mark knopfler uses the middle and bridge, although its nicer with neck and middle pickups for sultans of swing
Last edited by direstraits80 at Sep 11, 2011,