Recently kicked off my new hardcore band (Whether anyone here is familiar with the Hardcore Genre or not idk) and a few things I wanted to ask.

Firstly, my friends have their hearts set on Drop A or Bflat tuning, and I'm sceptical. While it suits the genre, are 6 strings ever going to be right for that kind of tuning?

We don't have 7-strings, or even baritones, so we'd have to get some pretty brutal .058s or whatever (Hoping someone can tell me what gauge) - Is that a bad idea?

If it'll be fine, what strings, everyone hypes about Ernie Ball, but recently i've read alot about Dunlop strings. Anyone got an opinion. (Assuming for Drop A would need roughly .058-0.13? - I am prepared to file out my tuner, is that all there is too it?)

____

BOSS.. Boss, boss, boss. Is it too good to be true? I've been looking at the ME series, and frankly ME 50s and 70s look flawless, I've played with a 50 at college before, seems really good, really good sounds - just wondered if anyone is seriously against Boss, or is everyone pretty much a fan.

Lastly.. anyone point me to a good, local trading/selling place for guitar/amps/pedals etc?
My Gear -
Ibanez RG3EXFM1, Vintage Les Paul copy.

Orange Rocker 30 (combo)

Trying to trade/sell an Ibanez TS9 and an Ibanez GRG 170 DX
I play my Boss ME70 through a BlackHeart Little Giant, and I'm quite pleased with the sound. Sure, it's a multieffectunit, and some people will always refuse to look past that, but to me it's ideal. All in one, build in tuner, loop, all the effects I want and built as a tank.
I love it.
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
I've got a Boss Me50 and it suits me perfectly - it's reliable and has a great range of effects, controllable as 3 separate stomp boxes. I've heard that if you use the patch function it suffers from a bit of lag when changing between patches, but I never use that so haven't experienced it. If you won't be using patches, I definitely recommend it. The Digitech RP355 often gets recommended highly as well, so check that out too.

Can't comment on the strings thing, I always use standard tuning.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Try an make standard or drop D sound heavy. When its done right, those sound better than the short-cut heavyness you get off of drop A style tunings. I think anything below drop C is a bit self indulgent and psuedo macho. You have a bassist , right?
Dude, where's my band?
I've got an ME-70 and it's great, in my experience it has much better quality effects than the 50. And there's no problem with patch lag or anything. And yeah i'd suggest 12s
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
I've played with the me50 and me70. Get the me70. The extra effects, amp models, and good display make it worth it. Also For the strings they'll have that at guitar stores as "Jazz strings" (Daddario anyways). Keep in mind if you have a floyd rose / tremolo you might have to buy some more springs and adjust the bridge to compensate for string tension.
Thanks for the reassurance

As for the strings, my main concern is whether i'd have to actually mod my guitar to get down to that kinda tuning.

TOM- Ye we have a bassist, we've done practice in Drop C for a while, just most of the bands we're using as 'inspiration' play in A/B - also no other band in my area is in that, and don't just wanna be another local band, we need to go the extra mile to 'break the mould'.

Why d'you say Jazz Strings?
My Gear -

Orange Rocker 30 (combo)

Last edited by ADSr at Sep 11, 2011,
You'll most likely have to file down your nut, I had to even for 11s but then, my guitar is a piece of shit.
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
Quote by ADSr
Thanks for the reassurance

As for the strings, my main concern is whether i'd have to actually mod my guitar to get down to that kinda tuning.

TOM- Ye we have a bassist, we've done practice in Drop C for a while, just most of the bands we're using as 'inspiration' play in A/B - also no other band in my area is in that, and don't just wanna be another local band, we need to go the extra mile to 'break the mould'.

Why d'you say Jazz Strings?

Look up how Baroness and Isis do it- they did/ use drop B all the time and only use 6 strings. Also, how many effects do you want to use? Multi-effects units are only good if you know you want to use them all and don't want to shell out for 8-10 different pedals.

I personally tune down to C standard/ drop B for shitz/ to check out some Isis songs, and I'm using Dunlop 11's with a .50 bottom string, and it's fine. Maybe it goes out of tune easier, but if then I'd just get 12's. Don't use actual jazz strings. They're flatwound and give off a much warmer/mellower tone, unless that's what you want.
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Sep 11, 2011,
silly. almost every heavy band worth a darn doesnt really go below drop C. Even then the most famous bands dont even really go below full step down or drop D...like pantera, metallica, etc.

if you have the right gear and you music is written well you can make it sond the way you want.

at drop A you have effectively turned your guitar into a bass. stupid. plus are you doing any lead work? i mean all the theory stays teh same but everything is moved around soo much it really messes with your head.

edit:

actually you know what? dont play in drop a or b flat. its just silly. i can almost tell you your music is going to blow. no offense, but nobody who has ever made great music plays that way. Not even really heavy bands like behemoth go that low.

please dont.
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 11, 2011,
Ikey, I'm not talking about heavy metal. Can't urge that enough.

Hardcore music and deathcore is all in very low tunings. Listen to the ghost inside, azriel or more than life... Suicide silence etc. (that's the blend we're looking for)

Absolutely not talking about the music you're on about. (Despite how much I love it)

It's also pretty narrowminded to say every song ever written in a certain tuning is shit.
-whitechapel
-suicide silence
-the ghost inside
some of my favourite bands use Drop A, so I disagree. strongly. :p

I'm looking at ME pedals because the way we want to try and be is melodic hardcore (like azriel), but then our beatdowns/breakdowns are brutal as ****. Can't get that unless I can change from one unique sound, to another one which is completely different.

So Im looking for a really soft, good mid-range, rhythm sound - to an extreme, extra brutal deathcore-y sound, which makes the room shake.

..is there such a unit?

And for the record, not particularly interested in anyone's opinion on my band's ideas, deathcore or hardcore music, souly on good advice to do with gear. I don't care if you like metallica more than whitechapel. Keep that to yourself, we all like different shit.
My Gear -

Orange Rocker 30 (combo)

Last edited by ADSr at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by ikey_
silly. almost every heavy band worth a darn doesnt really go below drop C. Even then the most famous bands dont even really go below full step down or drop D...like pantera, metallica, etc.

if you have the right gear and you music is written well you can make it sond the way you want.

at drop A you have effectively turned your guitar into a bass. stupid. plus are you doing any lead work? i mean all the theory stays teh same but everything is moved around soo much it really messes with your head.

edit:

actually you know what? dont play in drop a or b flat. its just silly. i can almost tell you your music is going to blow. no offense, but nobody who has ever made great music plays that way. Not even really heavy bands like behemoth go that low.

please dont.

idiocy aside,

I play a seven and I'm using a a .058 from this Ernie ball set, and the b string is a bit too light for my tastes. Since I like the feel of .011s in standard I think a .062 woulb be about right.

So I think to tune to drop b I would use .12s and maybe a heavier b string.
Honk
well your right. i had to actually give it a try. I youtubed all those bands. unfortunately, my analysis only lasted 3 seconds on each band cause all where the same - a drummer with double kicks on speed going nuts with a droning beat, a mashup of guitar and bass because at those low frequencies they are pretty much the same thing, and vocals that are not any form of human language and actually sounds like a bowel movement.

anyways, to answer your question i would say get the largest set of strings you can buy for a 6 string. 13s. do they go bigger? perhaps buy those.

what scale length are you playing? that determines string tension, which effects how a guitar plays drop tuned. and your going to get a luthier to work on your nut. your going to need to file it out.

BOSS?

nah good stuff. i go single pedals, not had much experience with thier units but im sure its relatively the same programming etc. I do have to say i DO NOT like the boss high gain stiff. In fact i really dont like many high gain pedals unless they come from an amp or tube driven pedal.

2 things i would recommend? using a noise suppressor and and EQ. EQ can really help tighten up your sound or give you a heavier sound. Heck, it can even make a pansy setup sound like a mean metal machine with the right pedals to work with it.
Quote by ikey_
well your right. i had to actually give it a try. I youtubed all those bands. unfortunately, my analysis only lasted 3 seconds on each band cause all where the same - a drummer with double kicks on speed going nuts with a droning beat, a mashup of guitar and bass because at those low frequencies they are pretty much the same thing, and vocals that are not any form of human language and actually sounds like a bowel movement.

+1
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Hm... you might want to sell your Rocker 30 and get something more suited to what you need.

Some setups to consider, maybe a Line 6 Spider Valve. Or, if you have a PA, a POD HD500. I would normally recommend a Peavey Vypyr Tube, but I think a Spider Valve could probably get a tighter, more sterile sound, which is what you want.

Whatever you do, don't try to program amp tones in any unit less than a POD HD. It'll sound like crap. When it comes to having pretty different tones in one setup, it gets very expensive to do it well, unfortunately.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i tried a pod 300 just to see what the fuss was about going striaght out into studio headphones. the 500 was there too (sam ash) but looked like too much fuss to play without learning more from a manual. so the 300 had to do.

...was not impressed. seemed semi quality and would hold up. seemed adequate and money saving if you want an all in 1 unit.

however, in terms of the quality of the effects and models, i was not impressed. the high gain sounded too digital and the overdrive settings sounded to fake ish. not organic or lively. sounded like a VOX hybrid/solid state amp with modeling...which i dont like.

i would much rather buy a new super amp like a carvin V3M which can do anything from clean to high gain at a reasonable price and still have REAL tube performance.