i own a ibanez AW250ECE and my serial number is k110608999 and i already check it is made in Indonesia but below my serial number on the guitar wrote made in china? what does it mean? thanks guys
I own the Ibanez AC3000-NT, which came also from China. I must say, the quality is quite good (I paid 430 euro's for it), but the whole "made in China"-thing does feel a bit awkward to me.

But back ontopic: I don't think yours and mine are fake.

Edit: I read your post wrong (about manufacturing in Indonesia). I have no clue where mine _should've_ been made, though Ibanez stated that it was supposed to bring the old Tama line back to life, which were manufactured in Japan.

The sticker on the inside says it's made in China. I bought it in a fairly large shop, which deals in a lot of Ibanez (everything from Gio to Prestige and JEMs), so I cant imagine them selling fakes.

If you are really unsure, you could always contact Ibanez and send them the appropriate information, maybe they can help :-).
Last edited by FDJ at Sep 11, 2011,
I really don't think your guitar is a fake. I own 2 Ibanez acoustics, one is made in China the other is made in Indonesia. Both are nicely made, and I really can't fault the quality of one against another.

For whatever reason, the less expensive model was made in China; http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ael10le-left-handed-acoustic-electric-guitar-with-onboard-tuner#used The step up model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ew20as-left-handed-exotic-wood-acoustic-electric-guitar came from Indonesia

Many companies are setting up shop in the Pacific Rim, as labor charges are as low or even lower than in the Chinese mainland. Ibanez seems to hold high QC standards wherever they're made.

As to Ibanez guitars being made in Japan, these would only be the high end "Prestige" models. Japanese workers have high wage standards and in some ways are suffering a similar fate to American manufacturing workers, as Japanese corporations move their production off their mainland, to maintain price advantage on their goods. This is something that has been going on for decades, especially in the electronics and camera markets.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by Captaincranky
I really don't think your guitar is a fake. I own 2 Ibanez acoustics, one is made in China the other is made in Indonesia. Both are nicely made, and I really can't fault the quality of one against another.

For whatever reason, the less expensive model was made in China; http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ael10le-left-handed-acoustic-electric-guitar-with-onboard-tuner#used The step up model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ew20as-left-handed-exotic-wood-acoustic-electric-guitar came from Indonesia

Many companies are setting up shop in the Pacific Rim, as labor charges are as low or even lower than in the Chinese mainland. Ibanez seems to hold high QC standards wherever they're made.

As to Ibanez guitars being made in Japan, these would only be the high end "Prestige" models. Japanese workers have high wage standards and in some ways are suffering a similar fate to American manufacturing workers, as Japanese corporations move their production off their mainland, to maintain price advantage on their goods. This is something that has been going on for decades, especially in the electronics and camera markets.

The Tama (and later on Artwood) acoustic line was produced in the mid-eighties in Japan. (Between 1974-1979). The Artwood line was produced from the mid-ninties again, also in Japan. I also read somewhere (sorry I can't find the resource), that the Artwood line is the resurrection of the Tama line. Therefore, is it so bad that I thought it was produced in Japan? I mean, I would have settled for Korea or something. But paying such an amount for an acoustic, which is produced in China? It feels a bit..weird.
Quote by FDJ
The Tama (and later on Artwood) acoustic line was produced in the mid-eighties in Japan. (Between 1974-1979). The Artwood line was produced from the mid-ninties again, also in Japan. I also read somewhere (sorry I can't find the resource), that the Artwood line is the resurrection of the Tama line. Therefore, is it so bad that I thought it was produced in Japan? I mean, I would have settled for Korea or something. But paying such an amount for an acoustic, which is produced in China? It feels a bit..weird.
The majority of acoustics under say, maybe $700.00 are of Asian origin. One notable exception would be "Seagull" of Canada. Most Ibanez acoustics fall into the $200.00 to $500.00 price point and as such, I would expect them to fall into the "Made in China" category. With mechanized production techniques, and ostensibly well trained workers, I find no stigma in owning a Chinese guitar. In fact, the fact that such value can be had casts American luthiers in a poor light.

A Chinese Epiphone SG copy is about $350.00. A comparable American Gibson SG is on the order of $1300.00. It's sort of up to any given buyer to determine if that extra $1000.00 dollars is prestige or performance based.

I can't answer you question about either Ibanez "Artwood" or "Tama" instruments directly. All I can say is that my price assessment of origin should be reasonably accurate. If you can buy a thousand dollar Artwood guitar, it may very well be made in Japan. ATM, I'm only reasonably certain that Ibanez' "Prestige" electrics are made in Japan.

I would like to correct you on the fact that, "1974 to 1979", is actually the mid to late SEVENTIES, not the mid 80's as you suggest. No harm intended, but I did get a bit get a bit of a chuckle out of that.

As I alluded to earlier, Japanese companies are taking the lower price point of any given line of goods and having them produced offshore. During the 70's, I sold consumer electronics. At that time, Pioneer's larger stereo receivers, (70 watts channel) were indeed made in Japan. The smaller promotional items (20 watts a Channel), came from the Phillipines and elsewhere.

It seems that Ibanez acoustics are held in low esteem at this site, more for their marketing techniques than against their utility as guitars: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233360

That said, I'm still happy with mine, be they Chinese or Indonesian plywood.
Whoops, I got the years mixed up :P. It should be seventies of course. Ibanez stopped producing acoustics in the eighties because all teenagers wanted to start with an electric back then. At least, that's what I've been told.

And sure, you are right, the country shouldn't matter, as long as the guitar is good. I mean, I own a Prestige (the 2550Z) which is a really awesome (Japanese made) guitar, the RG7321 made in Korea, which is also a really good guitar (certainly for its price). But this AW of mine costed almost 1.5 times the price of that RG7321. And for most Europeans afaik, but I think for Americans also, "made in China" means copy/imitation or low budget stuff, not high-end in-your-face quality. Which doesn't mean Im not happy with it, on the contrary, it's a really good guitar!