So i play electric guitar, a squier stratocaster! But I would also like to play the bass!
I like metal, so instead of getting a 4 string bass, i thinking of getting a 5 string bass!
What do u recomend, a 4 string or a 5 string? Low budget! $300 or less if possible, or close to $300!
5 string bass usually equals 7 string guitar, that is not really a matter of metal or not.
Let me introduce you to my friend the period.
I don't know about 5 strings. If you don't know if you need it, chances are you don't.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I wouldn't bother with a 5 string bass, I mean extra strings on a bass neck makes it really wide and hard to reach your fingers around. Its different than a guitar for bass because the strings have extra spacing between them.

At least if you're using it to make music, if you just want a gimmick go for it.

edit: I'd just get a cheap ass bass, I mean that's all you really need for metal. Every one in this forum probably hates me for saying this but, its rare people like cliff burton who actually try to make it a instrument in metal. Otherwise its there just to sort of... I'd say reinforce the sound, but hardly creating its own sound (unless its the bass solo you see in every 1/20 songs) so you don't need anything extremely expensive.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Sep 11, 2011,
A 5 string is no harder to learn on than a 4 string. Go for it if you want it. The economy of motion they provide is great, not to mention that low B.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
A 5 string is no harder to learn on than a 4 string. Go for it if you want it. The economy of motion they provide is great, not to mention that low B.

Yeah i guess 5 string isn't as hard as I made it sound earlier, its when you do stuff like get a 6-7 string bass and shit that its a bit weird.
I'd generally be in favour of a 5, with the caveat that at that price range, the 5's can be pretty lacklustre. I personally find the low B to cause more problems than all the other strings combined; when you get it right, it's absolutely beautiful, but it's very easy to get wrong.

So, yes, I'd say go for a 5, if you can find one that you're happy with the sound of. They're usually not much more expensive than a 4. And no, they not technically more 'metal', but a lot of metal utilies lower tunings, and 5s have access to those low notes more easily, so i would say that yes they are better for metal (without having to droptune, or use an alternate tuning).

I personally can't recommend anything in that price-range, though, sorry. All I can say is wait until you can double it and get one of the Korean-made Spectors; for the money, they're a beautiful bass.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Yeah i guess 5 string isn't as hard as I made it sound earlier, its when you do stuff like get a 6-7 string bass and shit that its a bit weird.

Ha yeah. Frankly, people who claim that any number of strings over 4 is a waste, are wrong, and people who say that there's really a valid use for 6+ strings are at best tenuously right.

I own a 6-string, and the only time I use the high C is when I'm noodling around on my own. Maybe I'm just not enough of a virtuoso, but the only person I've seen make real use of the 6th string would be Steve Bailey, when he was playing with Victor Wooten in Bass Extremes, and as the name suggests, that's a pretty extreme example.
I would say go for it and get the five strings. When getting my second bass I didn't think I would need the fifth string and was just going to get a 4 string. Glad I didn't make that mistake. I love the low B string

It's also, in my experience, no harder to play that a 4 string. Give yourself a week to get used to it and you should be fine. Slap is harder on a 5 string but once you are able to, your slapping will be more precise since the strings are closer together.

If you want a good quality, yet inexpensive 5 string, I would recommend an Ibanez GSR205, though I've heard better things about the SR305. I haven't played either but I know the Ibanez GSR/SR series is good. See if you can find these used for cheaper as well
[Insert something clever here]
For that price, take a look at Yamaha's BB-425:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Those Yamahas are decent basses, but my God they're ugly.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
When I played bass in my school band I used a 5 string yamaha with active pickups. After playing that for a while I wanted a 5 string to play metal so I went out and bought a Stagg 5 string I belive its from the heavy series. It was around the $300 mark but with trading in my old bass and bargaining it went better.
The low b on a 5er doesn't always sound right on many amps. So if you are interested in one make sure to play it through whatever amp you are going to use before deciding.
Quote by BlackVoid
The low b on a 5er doesn't always sound right on many amps. So if you are interested in one make sure to play it through whatever amp you are going to use before deciding.

It's more of a speaker issue in my experience, though a good amp all around is always a good idea.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I would recommend a 4 string bass to start, for two reasons:

1- It's unlikely your first amp with have a 15inch speaker and will struggle to replicate the Low B anyway

2- Cheap 5 Stringers are worse than Cheap 4 Stringers, as a general rule.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by gilly_90
It's more of a speaker issue in my experience, though a good amp all around is always a good idea.

Yah, I was thinking more about practice combo amps since he's just starting out. Thanks for clarifying though.
when anyone mentions potential 5 strings it comes to this. Also TS when you type it's like reading pokemon battle script. I think at $300 if you don't have an amp. go on craigslist or ebay or your equivalent. Look for Squiers and Ibanez and Yamaha. and amps, Acoustic, Peavey, GK and fender.

My opinion? get a Squier P bass anything from a $75 affinity to a $200 new squier VM/CV. and a good 30-100 watt practice amp. You'll be able to play nearly anything, it fits every single genre, and you're amp will definitely handle it. And like any fender product can be upgraded over time with ease.