I'm getting a new bass in the next week. It's going to be one of the following:

VM Precision with Split-Coil
CV Precision with Split-Coil
CV Precision with Single Coil

I haven't totally decided yet, but I can't tell if the neck lengths on the squires are shorter than their Fender Counterparts, but I think they are? Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

When the frames switch from the Squiers to the Fenders, it looks as if the Squiers are slightly shorter. Anyone know for sure? I'd prefer a neck that isn't short scale, not even slightly.

Also any input on the basses themselves from personal experience is welcomed.
They're not short scales, they're a full 34" scale just like their Fender counterparts.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Alright Thanks. I still would like some input on personal experience. Especially between both the CV and VM split coil P's.
A single coil is more likely to have hiss when you're not playing but apart from that I guess the tone is a matter of preference.
And on the subject of VM vs CV they're both great basses but the CV imo has a slight edge
Not much difference in feel between CV and VM but the tone will be different.

The single coil P will have more snap in the high end while the split coil will be darker.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I would go for the VM since the body is maple. I believe the CV's there are either basswood (pretty soft) or agathis (I personally hate it)
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
So that means the VM Precision in White with the rosewood fretboard and agathis body is inferior to the one with the Maple neck and Amber Maple body?
CV's are basswood or pine and VM's are either soft maple or agathis.

EDIT:They are also Basswood VM's
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Sep 11, 2011,
I had the Fiesta Red 60s Precision. Fantastic bass, solid construction and top stock parts for a Squier. The only thing I would change is the ugly brass saddles.
Quote by ExhaledFate
So that means the VM Precision in White with the rosewood fretboard and agathis body is inferior to the one with the Maple neck and Amber Maple body?

It's really debatable of whether it's inferior. It's my own personal hatred of agathis that turns me away from them.
Quote by FatalGear41

The thing with Squiers is that they are very hit and miss. It is almost impossible to say which one is better as you could play 10 VMs in a row and 10 CVs and have them all sound different. So the best advice I can give you is to go out and play them with your own hands as there is really no other way to know for sure, only you will know if it works for you or not.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
^ You obviously haven't played any of the newer Squiers.

the VM/CV lines are nearly as good as MIM Fenders.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817
^ You obviously haven't played any of the newer Squiers.

the VM/CV lines are nearly as good as MIM Fenders.

I'm not bashing Squiers, I've played the new ones and my next bass will probably be one, what I was saying is more about basses in general. There are some duds out there no matter the brand (however I have found the frequency of duds to be higher in Squiers, the new ones are no exception) and the only way he will know which is for him is to go out and play them.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ExhaledFate

i've not played the white one but my housemate just bought the amber maple one, it's absolutely amazing considering the price. slightly better than the other cv/vm basses i've tried. the finish is incredible too.